What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memo to Walker Smith...(And some others)

PB

Bench
I promised myself i wouldnt get into slanging matches about Brian Smith's coaching ability today, but what can i say...

Seeing as how Walker Smith in particular listed Brian Smith's "failures" as a coach at Saints and Parra as the common denomonators in those clubs down falls, i thought i should spin the other side of it...

The dragons haven't won a comp since 1979. They continued to make the finals series till losing the grand final in 1985 by 1 point.

Then, the Dragons did not make another play off series till 1992 Under achieving along the way! 5 years, A long barron period for a club with such history. Enter Smith who takes them to GF's in 92 and 93, not just semis, but grand finals. They lose, but to one of the best teams in modern history. How can you say he has done anything but succeed then.?!

Since then (1993) the Dragons have made 7 finals series appearances losing 2 grand finals along the way. (choking big time in 1999)

Is that Brian Smith's fault? If anything he brought a winning culture back to that club.

Parramatta, after winning the 86 grand final, did not make the finals for 10 years! We all know how painful a tmie that was. Since Brian Smith came to the club we have missed the finals just twice!
So is Brian Smith the reason we can't win the grand final, or the reason we actually make the finals?!

Avenger

Immortal
PB said:
I promised myself i wouldnt get into slanging matches about Brian Smith's coaching ability today, but what can i say...

Seeing as how Walker Smith in particular listed Brian Smith's "failures" as a coach at Saints and Parra as the common denomonators in those clubs down falls, i thought i should spin the other side of it...

The dragons haven't won a comp since 1979. They continued to make the finals series till losing the grand final in 1987 by 1 point.

Then, the Dragons did not make another play off series till 1992 Under achieving along the way! 5 years, A long barron period for a club with such history. Enter Smith who takes them to GF's in 92 and 93, not just semis, but grand finals. They lose, but to one of the best teams in modern history. How can you say he has done anything but succeed then.?!

Since then (1993) the Dragons have made 7 finals series appearances losing 2 grand finals along the way. (choking big time in 1999)

Is that Brian Smith's fault? If anything he brought a winning culture back to that club.

Parramatta, after winning the 86 grand final, did not make the finals for 10 years! We all know how painful a tmie that was. Since Brian Smith came to the club we have missed the finals just twice!
So is Brian Smith the reason we can't win the grand final, or the reason we actually make the finals?!

Manly played Canberra in 87. Smith's record speaks for itself. He consistently gets teams to finals and grandfinals, however the teams that he coaches have a habit of losing big games.

Mzilikazi

Juniors
Making finals and winning them are two different matters.

Maybe you could hire a coach to cover the last month of the season after Smith has finished what he's capable of.

forward pass

Coach
Very well said PB. I couldn't agree more.

Tim Smith would not be at the club if not for BS - he joined so he could be coached by him.

So - please instead of looking at the empty premiership trophy cabinet and bagging him, everyone really should look at the big picture.

shiftysmith

Juniors
i actually feel for him.....i dont know if i want him to stay or not he just doesnt seem to know how to get his sides through the games that count i wonder if it is his own nerves getting in the way..thats just what i think..does not mean i want him out

Smartman

Juniors
St George lost in 1985 to Canterbury 7-6.

Before that Canterbury smashed the eels 26-0 in a prelim final
icon6.gif

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:

icon6.gif

a year later we beat by 4-2 in the grand final, your point being??

fish eel

Immortal
Smartman said:

icon6.gif

and the following year we smashed canterbury 26-6 in a mjor semi and 4-2 in the grand final you goose.

Avenger

Immortal
shiftysmith said:
i actually feel for him.....i dont know if i want him to stay or not he just doesnt seem to know how to get his sides through the games that count i wonder if it is his own nerves getting in the way..thats just what i think..does not mean i want him out

Smith admitted himself that he couldn't sleep before the Manly game FFS.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Smith should not go, however, we should hire an assistant coch who could take a more 'head coach' role in the finals

El Diablo

Post Whore
I think he put too much emphasis on the slow starts and that's why they were trying to score by throwing the ball around willy nilly which resulted in error after error.

In the last two games he seemed to want to change the way the team had been playing succesfully all year.

walker smith

Juniors
look, As i have stated in other threads, Brian is obviously a coach that is excellent at restructuring a club...in fact, i have long felt that he is the perfect candidate to resurrect South Sydney!

If you want to guarantee a competitive team and get a glimpse of grand success, then Brian is your man, but if you want to go all the way (the ultimate goal of all teams in the comp) then he just cant do it!!!

It is no point talking about 1985 and what have you....the fact is that in Brians own experiences in big games he has never won a premiership and has presided over some monumental failures in that time!

If you want to evaluate Brian, then look at his record....and in doing so you will see that he has never triumphed on the biggest occasions!

Its simple mathematics...he has lost 3 Grand finals as a coach and 4 preliminary finals...and this doesnt include 97 and 02 where his teams departed without a whimper!

The summary is that of the seven times he has reached the pointy end of the season in recent history, he has never once emerged triumphant!

If we want the ultimate goal, we must look elsewhere!

fish eel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
I think he put too much emphasis on the slow starts and that's why they were trying to score by throwing the ball around willy nilly which resulted in error after error.

In the last two games he seemed to want to change the way the team had been playing succesfully all year.

The last two games?

I didnt think there was to much wrong vs manly in the first half.

walker smith

Juniors
fish eel said:
I think in the context of that week, he was just tossing that up.

I think thats a fair call...but i do think he tends to turn out teams who are ridiculously wooden and edgy in big games!

Nervous is healthy....a "deer stuck in the headlights" is catastrophic!

Kornstar

Coach
Smith will and should serve out his contract, i have no problem with that but in saying that i am also allowed to have the opinion of wanting him to move on, it is my choice to feel this way, i don't think that means that i am calling for his head or being negative, i am happy for him to see his contract out and i will support the team to the hilt next year in all 3 grades as i have for a long time now but i would like to have JT take over in 2007, or someone with new ideas.

I am also of the belief though that this should happen in all clubs, changing coaches is not a bad thing, it gives the team a new style and also it gives the coach a new challenge........i personally would love to see Smithy coach Souths or Warriors, they could use that kind of influence in their club.......

walker smith

Juniors
By the way PB, thank you for the personal attention....i believe that imerely put forward my strong opinion and havent insulted anyone, despite all the emotion surrounding the issue...but thanks anyway for making me feel special enough for your personal diatribe! ; )

Latest posts