What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

lingard

Coach
That’s a common thread amongst men - I can’t/shouldn’t be depressed as all these other people have it worse than me and they seem fine.

depression is deeply personal. You can’t use others situations/triggers/responses/outcomes as a yardstick for how you should feel. Never let someone else’s experiences minimise your feelings, as they are your realty

Absolutely. Never compare your inner experience with the outward appearance of others, eh.

hindy111

Post Whore
Absolutely. Never compare your inner experience with the outward appearance of others, eh.

Why I got rid of social media. I feel it's a strong contributor to depression. People are putting these tiny fragments portraying this happy life and how great things are in their world.
If you are feeling LOW it can certainly play in effect. Felt much better without it.

Gronk

Staff member
It's nice to share stories. I feel like I've never been that depressed after reading all these stories.
I feel like there is so much worse off people I could help if my life turned to shit. But also I am pretty loose already and I feel like life's just a big trip. A ride that eventually stops. May as well just chill and let it flow naturally like a river. Let those negative feeling drift pass as they will but try and hold the positive ones. But never resist the flow of the river, its natures way of taking you closer to the end of the ride which ultimately is death.
I've never understood extremely serious people. They kind of shit me and I tend to avoid them.
Mindfulness is a skill that should never be underestimated. Headspace have an app as do others. Relaxing your breathing and visualisation of letting things go seems dumb but really works to a willing mind.

giphy.gif

Eelementary

Post Whore
That’s a common thread amongst men - I can’t/shouldn’t be depressed as all these other people have it worse than me and they seem fine.

depression is deeply personal. You can’t use others situations/triggers/responses/outcomes as a yardstick for how you should feel. Never let someone else’s experiences minimise your feelings, as they are your realty

Absolutely, 100% - it's not a competition, if that makes sense.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I joined Better Help, to get some online therapy, while I am able to get real, physical therapy.

My first season was with a US-based counsellor last night, and it was... Weird.

Let me preface this by saying I am not overly spiritual, but I do believe in supernatural phenomena, because the universe hides so many things that we cannot possibly understand.

Anyway - she spent an hour last night telling me that the hallucinations I've had, and my dark thoughts, are the result of witchcraft, and that there is a demonic presence in my house, seeking to take my son's soul.

I was more hoping to get into a psychological treatment angle, rather than spiritual, so it took me aback.

And I struggled to fall asleep, because as soon as she brought my boy into it, it terrified me, even if I don't 100% agree with what she said.

It was a very strange session.

Gronk

Staff member
I joined Better Help, to get some online therapy, while I am able to get real, physical therapy.

Let me preface this by saying I am not overly spiritual, but I do believe in supernatural phenomena, because the universe hides so many things that we cannot possibly understand.

Anyway - she spent an hour last night telling me that the hallucinations I've had, and my dark thoughts, are the result of witchcraft, and that there is a demonic presence in my house, seeking to take my son's soul.

I was more hoping to get into a psychological treatment angle, rather than spiritual, so it took me aback.

And I struggled to fall asleep, because as soon as she brought my boy into it, it terrified me, even if I don't 100% agree with what she said.

JFC his job in session 1 is to validate, comfort and learn about you. Not introduce ooga booga into the household.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

Don't be doing another one of those sessions mate. Period.

Rocket man

Juniors

Mate
I would stay away from there.
Seems unprofessional.

hindy111

Post Whore

Can I ask you what are your goals? Or what things that you could change would you like to?

Eelementary

Post Whore
JFC his job in session 1 is to validate, comfort and learn about you. Not introduce ooga booga into the household.

It left me very, very unsettled.

I do believe in ghosts and stuff - I've seen and experienced things that I can't rationalise.

But I'm 99% certain that these things are manifestations of some sort of psychological trauma.

And when she said that the demonic presence is after my son, it left a really weird impression on me. I felt rattled, and weirder out.

It was such a weird experience - I was expecting some sort of psychological strategies; instead, she told me to use Jesus to fight them off.

It was really strange.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't be doing another one of those sessions mate. Period.

I don't think it's really a viable option - the service costs $400 a month, regardless of how many sessions you have, but most of their counsellors are based in the US (so time zones are an issue), and Medicare does not cover any of the cost.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can I ask you what are your goals? Or what things that you could change would you like to?

I would like to get help to get my brain rewired to deal with trauma differently.

I don't want a seemingly insignificant stimulus to make me irrationally angry; I live most of my life getting angry at little things, and I can't control it. It's a crsppy way to live.

So my ideal goal would be:

(1) seek psychiatric assistance to see if there is medication that can take the edge off;

(2) participate in face-to-face psychological treatment to learn skills to better manage my brain.

While options 1 and 2 are being looked into, I thought I'd take a look at Better Help.

Now I'm having second thoughts.

Gronk

Staff member

Happy MEel

First Grade
Thanks for sharing such a deeply personal story @lingard. As others have said, we’re all extremely glad you and your family seemed to have gotten through that period in your life. Im genuinely blown away by everyone’s bravery in coming forward and sharing. It just goes to show how common this is. It has only been open for about a day but this is already turning into the best thread in here.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Man that's really some f**ked up shit. It honestly sounds like cult recruitment type stuff, have you looked into who these folks are, 'cause that really shouldn't happen.

Anyways, regardless I hope you find what you need, you come across as a good bloke, and I expect you are. Take care of yourself mate.

the phantom menace

First Grade
f**k yeah.

And f**k no... that's questionable (from an Australian Psychology ethics point of view) and doesn't sound like the better help you were after at all.

Personally I'd look for a different online provider (local to Australia) while you wait for face to face sessions to start.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I would like to get help to get my brain rewired to deal with trauma differently.

I don't want a seemingly insignificant stimulus to make me irrationally angry; I live most of my life getting angry at little things, and I can't control it. It's a crsppy way to live.

So my ideal goal would be:

(1) seek psychiatric assistance to see if there is medication that can take the edge off;

(2) participate in face-to-face psychological treatment to learn skills to better manage my brain.

While options 1 and 2 are being looked into, I thought I'd take a look at Better Help.

Now I'm having second thoughts.

My daughter has had issues for the last decade or so, as far as meds go, seeing the GP or hospital or psychologist was a waste of time and money for the most part, they just don't have the expertise to deal with it. Investing in seeing a psychiatrist was the best money I've spent on her treatment wise, and I've spent a fair bit over the years.

the phantom menace

First Grade
It was such a weird experience - I was expecting some sort of psychological strategies; instead, she told me to use Jesus to fight them off.

It was really strange.
Yep, reading down the thread I thought that might be behind it.

Shouldn't be part of any professional services imo. Sorry that you had this experience, particularly when you least needed it.

Latest posts