What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Eelementary

Post Whore
The hardest part for me is that, due to his autism, he doesn't understand concepts that neuro typical kids his age do.

For example: yesterday, he was tired, due to a poor night's sleep.

He lashed out at a friend of his (as I'm sure you know, neuro divergent kids often shut down when they are overstimulated, and my son is no exception), she told him she didn't want to be his friend any more, and he can't understand why she is not his friend any more.

I've tried to explain it to him, but he shuts down even further, and gets more exasperated, going completely non-verbal, stimming, and staring off into the distance, while screaming.

It's heartbreaking.

I don't know how to communicate with my own son.

Gronk

Staff member
The hardest part for me is that, due to his autism, he doesn't understand concepts that neuro typical kids his age do.

For example: yesterday, he was tired, due to a poor night's sleep.

He lashed out at a friend of his (as I'm sure you know, neuro divergent kids often shut down when they are overstimulated, and my son is no exception), she told him she didn't want to be his friend any more, and he can't understand why she is not his friend any more.

I've tried to explain it to him, but he shuts down even further, and gets more exasperated, going completely non-verbal, stimming, and staring off into the distance, while screaming.

It's heartbreaking.

I don't know how to communicate with my own son.
You’re going through such a tough situation mate. By the sounds if it, you’re doing an amazing job. Way beyond what most of us would ever have to endure.

T.S Quint

Coach
I'm doing my best, but it's really tough :(

Just the fact that you are doing your absolute best and obviously love your son is a testament to how good a father you are.

You e had a shit hand dealt to you, and I’m heartbroken that you have had to endure it. I applaud you and your wife for doing everything you can for the young bloke.

Everyone needs to hear it now and again, so I will tell you right now…you are a good dad.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just the fact that you are doing your absolute best and obviously love your son is a testament to how good a father you are.

You e had a shit hand dealt to you, and I’m heartbroken that you have had to endure it. I applaud you and your wife for doing everything you can for the young bloke.

Everyone needs to hear it now and again, so I will tell you right now…you are a good dad.

Thank you, mate.

I really appreciate it.

Sometimes, I feel like a failure - when he's so upset, and I can't calm him down, I think to myself, "He's your son, and you can't even calm him down when he's agitated - some kind of dad you are!"

But I try to remember that we still haven't figured out the most effective way to communicate with him, and often, the best thing is to allow him to regulate himself with some time.

It's tough to see him get so upset, though - no 4-year old should be so sad/angry (not that it's his fault).

Kids are the purest, most beautiful beings we have on this planet, and seeing one upset is devastating.

Gronk

Staff member
Yesterday was World Mental Health Day.

At 1pm Mrs G hits me up on WhatsApp that the MIL is vomitting and has a sore back. She organises an Uber to collect her and take her to her GP. She is on the way to the GP but the GP calls and say he’s calling an ambulance.

So we mobilise and the fam are all headed for RPA. My daughter was already at RPA that day, so good.

Tests, tests. She is having a slow heart attack. Huh ? Enzymes in her blood are markers, I hear as my daughter is being briefed by the cardiologist. This slow heart attack won’t stop and is possibly causing muscle damage. They have to intervene, but she might die on the table. I think they have to say that.

So they rushed her to surgery, found blockages, put in stents, drained her lungs of vomit, grease n oil change.

At 8pm MIL is sitting up in a ward, with good colour in her face eating a cheese sandwich and complaining. Back to normal then. Happy days.

1728589767135.png

Latest posts