What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercenary Fat Frank at it again

Jimbo

Immortal
Well you've invested a fair bit into this thread nick

What exactly do you hope to achieve?

Haffa

UEFA should be examining whether the creation of these sub companies by City’s ‘parent’ company, has allowed them to under-report losses. The lack of transparency over Frank Lampard and his move has to have thrown a spotlight on the blurred nature of their accounts.

saint.nick

Coach
Well you've invested a fair bit into this thread nick

What exactly do you hope to achieve?

I can ask the same thing about this post because you had nowhere else to go. It's quite clear what I wanted to achieve: fresh discussion that generally kept in line with the thread topic, but thanks to you, you muddied the waters and turned it into a fight about attention whoring.
Sorry you took the lampard criticism personally though, but i guess I accidentally found another weak spot for people like Mong to target

Big Sam

First Grade
UEFA should be examining whether the creation of these sub companies by City?s ?parent? company, has allowed them to under-report losses. The lack of transparency over Frank Lampard and his move has to have thrown a spotlight on the blurred nature of their accounts.

Does the Abramovich family still own a club in Denmark?

Haffa

Does the Abramovich family still own a club in Denmark?

Did they ever own one? Arkadiy was rumoured to be looking at buying FC Copenhagen 5 years ago. But nothing came of it.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the point I made though.

Haffa

Because Abramovich perhaps wanted to do the same thing of which you're accusing City?

5 years ago before FFP kicked in, he wanted to buy a club to start up a third party ownership scheme and didn't follow through? Makes sense.. or Maybe his son just wanted to buy a football club.

I imagine if he'd followed through you'd been shouting from the roof tops.

Still I'm not sure how something that didn't happen 5 years ago has anything to do with the point I made.

Haffa

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-City-UEFA-probe-accuracy-club-accounts.html

After Frank Lampard debacle, are these just more mistakes from Manchester City? UEFA probe accuracy of their club accounts
Manchester City forced to admit they misled fans over Frank Lampard
UEFA are now scrutinising their accounts to to see if they've been mislead
Club were found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play rules last season
By NICK HARRIS FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
PUBLISHED: 09:32 EST, 11 January 2015 | UPDATED: 09:32 EST, 11 January 2015

Manchester City, reeling after being forced to admit they and their sister club in New York misled fans on both sides of the Atlantic over Frank Lampard, are having their financial accounts scrutinised by UEFA to assess whether an attempt has been made to mislead the European governing body over the full extent of the club’s financial losses in 2013-14.
The Mail on Sunday can reveal UEFA are examining whether the creation of a set of subsidiary companies by City’s ‘parent’ company, City Football Group (CFG), allowed City to under-report the club’s losses for 2013-14.
Two particular subsidiary companies alone had costs, including wages, of £36.7million in the year to the end of May 2014, and posted combined losses of £25.9m in that period. Most of their business was done effectively on behalf of Manchester City FC in that period.

Manchester City have admitted that they have misled fans and New York City over Frank Lampard
City had wrongly claimed that Lampard signed for New York City last summer before agreeing a loan move

City’s club accounts for 2013-14, revealed last month, showed City had halved their own losses from a year earlier to post an annual deficit of ‘only’ £23m.
But UEFA could judge City’s accounts should more accurately have included more of the subsidiary companies’ losses, in which case City would be in danger of breaching UEFA’s FFP regulations for a second year running.
UEFA have confirmed checks are being made ‘of all relevant accounts and related-party activities as part of [the] Financial Fair Play (FFP) investigations’.
For breaching FFP rules the first time, City were hit with a £49m fine (two-thirds of it suspended), have a reduced 21-man squad for this season’s Champions League and had a spending limit imposed on summer and January transfer activity.
City have strenuously insisted throughout that they have done nothing wrong, their accounts are in order and that they expect to pass all FFP requirements. City sources say they will co-operate fully with any UEFA inquiry.
The rule breach last time stemmed from sales of ‘intellectual property’ by City to two companies owned by CFG in deals that UEFA ruled artificially inflated City’s income in 2012-13. When the deals were not allowed, City’s losses without them meant a breach of FFP.

The Mail on Sunday can reveal the same two subsidiaries are involved in the new scrutiny.
One is City Football Marketing Limited (CFML), self-described in their own financial accounts as providers of ‘commercial and marketing services to professional sports clubs and organising bodies’. Their main client in 2013-14 was Manchester City FC. Their minor clients were City’s sister clubs in New York and Melbourne.
The other relevant subsidiary to UEFA’s probe is City Football Services Limited (CFSL), described in their own accounts as providing ‘scouting services, performance analysis and other sporting advice to professional sports clubs and organising bodies’.
Their main client in 2013-14 was Manchester City FC. Their minor client was City’s sister club in New York, NYCFC.
Although MCFC in Manchester paid a total £10.1m combined to CFML and CFSL in 2013-14 for ‘services’, the key issue will be how much of the smaller firms’ costs of £36.7m were incurred on MCFC business.
One of the quirks of City’s accounts for 2013-14 was that they apparently shed 135 staff in a year but, in fact, most of them simply became employees of the subsidiaries.
UEFA will ask City and parent company GFG to clarify details of various company accounts in the group. Certainly there appear to be some errors, inadvertent or not.

One example is MCFC reporting a different value for intellectual property sold to CFML, whose own accounts have a slightly smaller value on what they paid MCFC for the same item.
Another example is CFG and MCFC’s accounts both saying former midfielder Javi Garcia was sold last summer to Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine, whereas in fact he was sold to Zenit St Petersburg in Russia — notwithstanding a strange move that has remained hitherto secret.
The most logical explanation for these anomalies and others, City sources say, is simple mistakes, also cited by the club on Friday as the reason for multiple misleading statements on Lampard.
City’s various entities were forced into an embarrassing admission that Lampard had never signed for NYCFC, as claimed last summer, when that occasion was used to sell season tickets and shirts; nor that he had ever been on loan at City.
Even in ‘clarifying’ the situation, City at first claimed Lampard had had a contract at City only until December. Under pressure from the Premier League, they then confirmed he signed ‘permanently’ last summer on a year’s deal.

The Lampard episode has caused outrage in the US among NYCFC’s fans, many of whom feel duped.
More worrying for City’s owner Sheik Mansour, it has damaged the credibility of City and NYCFC — his flagship sports ventures — and called into question the integrity of his whole organisation.
There is no specific timeframe to when City might discover whether they are in the clear over the latest accounts.
A UEFA spokesman told The Mail on Sunday: ‘Manchester City, like all clubs which have signed settlement agreements [after breaching FFP previously], are subject to ongoing monitoring, and any case of non-compliance with the terms of their agreement will be automatically referred to the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) Adjudicatory Chamber as per Article 15 (4) of the Procedural Rules governing the CFCB.
‘UEFA undertakes thorough checks of all relevant accounts and related-party activities as part of its Financial Fair Play investigations.’

Yep, sounds as simple as just owning a second club.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Yep, sounds as simple as just owning a second club.

So what would have been the motivation behind adding a club to the Abramovich stable? Financial reasons or is Roman just a massive fan of pastries and Hans Christian Andersen?

Jimbo

Immortal
I can ask the same thing about this post because you had nowhere else to go. It's quite clear what I wanted to achieve: fresh discussion that generally kept in line with the thread topic, but thanks to you, you muddied the waters and turned it into a fight about attention whoring.

Perhaps I might have taken your interest more seriously if it was focused on the terms of the actual deal rather than 'Chelsea propaganda'

Haffa

So what would have been the motivation behind adding a club to the Abramovich stable? Financial reasons or is Roman just a massive fan of pastries and Hans Christian Andersen?

Stable? Maybe they looked into it as some sort of feeder club arrangement, then realised the loan arrangement with Vitesse, Boro or Derby was more beneficial.

Still I'm not sure what that has to do with what city have done.

You don't seem to have missed the point of what city are doing to get around FFP.

Haffa

No.

He also doesn't have anything to do with Lampard.

So well done.
0/10.
You have started 2015 in great form.

Doc let a club legend leave on a free, he joins a direct rival to earn some money and prove a point, scores a goal which at the time he thought was sending his former club down.

Sure nothing comparable there. :roll:

saint.nick

Coach
Perhaps I might have taken your interest more seriously if it was focused on the terms of the actual deal rather than 'Chelsea propaganda'

Well jimmy, I'm not responsible for your gross misinterpretation. How you can't see that I'm talking specifically about lampard's deal and it's dodgy nature is anyone's guess. You've basically ruined it and thus made my objective in this thread rather ambiguous because you cried victim.

Jimbo

Immortal
:lol:

Sure nick

Sam started the thread as an obvious troll attempt, and you were only too happy to jump on board. Now you're getting sooky because it didn't work

Better luck next time

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Still trying to work out how Chelsea have anything do with this other than Frank being a former player.

City have allegedly been dodgy so it's CFC's fault how?