What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters
I was under the impression he sucked some c**k to get it, anyway.
Don't quote them dude, they are like the advertisements that came to life out of the simpsons episode, don't pay attention to them and they die.

The finishing blow, hiding like a bitch behind the ignore function

SoftSydney

Juniors
I am not debating the WT viewpoint. That's up to them.

There are ways to deal with in the record books that terrify some stats keepers. The whole notion of having footnotes and joint records is just too much for some. But others are a little more adventurous.

I am not asking for a WT view point I am asking for yours!
What you guys are claiming is that two merged teams can also merge their stats!
What happens if the saints merge again with the roosters do you then have 28 premierships? (hypothetical example) Can the roosters then also claim 28?

Where does it all end!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I am not asking for a WT view point I am asking for yours!
What you guys are claiming is that two merged teams can also merge their stats!
What happens if the saints merge again with the roosters do you then have 28 premierships? (hypothetical example) Can the roosters then also claim 28?

Where does it all end!
I would hope that the competition can remain flexible enough to deal with each situation. Just as it did when the ARL and SL formed a Joint Venture to create the NRL, thereby embracing the history of the NSWRL and ensuring that teams since 1908 would still have their premieships intact.

It doesn't have to be black and white, and commonsense can prevail. People can take these things too seriously sometimes.

SoftSydney

Juniors
I would hope that the competition can remain flexible enough to deal with each situation. Just as it did when the ARL and SL formed a Joint Venture to create the NRL, thereby embracing the history of the NSWRL and ensuring that teams since 1908 would still have their premieships intact.

It doesn't have to be black and white, and commonsense can prevail. People can take these things too seriously sometimes.

I fully agree with you, common sense tells me that when teams merge they become a new club and their stats start from zero, it appears the NRL has taken that common sense approach too with WT and STGI, same with the WT fans they seem to have adopted the common sense approach from my observations.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I fully agree with you, common sense tells me that when teams merge they become a new club and their stats start from zero, it appears the NRL has taken that common sense approach too with WT and STGI, same with the WT fans they seem to have adopted the common sense approach from my observations.
Common ground is important in any debate, but I don't agree with your view on the Dragons. There are some things that are more tangible than stats. The NRL is not backward in promoting the history of St George and made a big deal of it on grand final day.

They know what sells. Just one of those contradictions - similar to the promotion of Steve Menzies as a one club player for Manly, or 102 years of NRL in what used to be called the Sydney Comp.

I know I can say I have been supporting a team I saw winning games in the 1960s, and I was present at the 1977 grand final and grand final replay a week later. And I suffered through all the trials and tribulations in subsequent years. Then, in 2010, I saw us win again.

I would like to think there is room for that kind of support in rugby league.

SoftSydney

Juniors
Common ground is important in any debate, but I don't agree with your view on the Dragons. There are some things that are more tangible than stats. The NRL is not backward in promoting the history of St George and made a big deal of it on grand final day.

They know what sells. Just one of those contradictions - similar to the promotion of Steve Menzies as a one club player for Manly, or 102 years of NRL in what used to be called the Sydney Comp.

I know I can say I have been supporting a team I saw winning games in the 1960s, and I was present at the 1977 grand final and grand final replay a week later. And I suffered through all the trials and tribulations in subsequent years. Then, in 2010, I saw us win again.

I would like to think there is room for that kind of support in rugby league.

I am sure you did see us win that day mate, it explains your delusional posts xaxaxaxaxa just kidding.

The beaver you could argue either way as for the NRL it has evolved with the clubs and fans hence they have always been one and the same abit like the holly trinity.

The thing is if we say 16 for STGI then we have to say 16 for WT and I find that hard to swollow. Then if there is a combo merge we are srewed LOL, I get where your coming from just dont agree. I also feel for the Illawarra fans when you guiys say 16, how can they identify with it.

It doesnt look like we will solve the middle east problem anytime soon :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The beaver you could argue either way
My understanding is that officially the NRL sees Menzies as playing with two clubs. But ask most Manly supporters and they see him as a one club player. I have no problem with that. There was a thread about it in the Dragons forum and every Saints supporter who replied thought he was a one club (NRL) player.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=371232

I suspect Dutchy (who started the thread) was trying to be mischievious but was pleasantly surprised to see the support for Menzies in a Dragons forum.

Point is, the Menzies example shows that there are contradictions that people can live with.

SoftSydney said:
as for the NRL it has evolved with the clubs and fans hence they have always been one and the same abit like the holly trinity.
Well the NRL is a joint venture, formed in 1998. They make up the rules to suit themselves. Again, I have no problem with a continuation of the history of the NSWRL. It's just another contradiction that we are happy to accept.

SoftSydney said:
I get where your coming from just dont agree.
I can live with that too. lol.
SoftSydney said:
I also feel for the Illawarra fans when you guiys say 16, how can they identify with it.
I haven't heard any complaints. In fact, some of the Saints fans arguing in favour of 16 are from Illawarra side of the JV. I don't all of supporters of course. But I once told by an Illawarra supporter that they thought they had adopted the wonderful history of St George when the JV was formed, and he was surprised and disappointed to learn that the NRL had stuffed it up in the official records.

SoftSydney said:
It doesnt look like we will solve the middle east problem anytime soon :D
lol. No, I guess not.

Willow to end this argument all you need to do is prove to me.....

* That St George Dragons competed in the 2010 NRL comp.
* How you can you have 3 different clubs winning 1 grandfinal.

And my word that you will see me eating a can of dog food.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Willow to end this argument all you need to do is prove to me.....

* That St George Dragons competed in the 2010 NRL comp.
* How you can you have 3 different clubs winning 1 grandfinal.

And my word that you will see me eating a can of dog food.

hi baron..

here's your proof...

i pulled this together using photoshop....

Dragons_2010_Premiers978_583.jpg

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
to make this thread make a hell of a lot more logical sense, click these three buttons...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
sat down last night to enjoy my dragons season highlights... the road to victory...

an official nrl product...

they start out with a blurb about how this is the first premeirship the dragons have won since 1979....

so not only could i sit back and enjoy the season, i could also sit back in smug comfort, knowing that this now proves something to the faceless trolls on here... :)

but hey, all dragons fans know the truth... it's the sad few in here that don't...