What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Tyler resigns

macavity

Referee
well the model rules provide for a special GM when 5% of the members request it - on a membership figure of 5,000 (estimate) that is 250 signatures - provided the Knights use the model rules (and im not sure they do) we will need that many signatures - not going to be an easy task - although some of the board members have almost that many proxies....

anyone here willing to help with this?? think of the ramifications if Wests/C&A get the sh*ts and leave.... this could be major trouble for the club because some dunderheads are on a power trip and our CEO is a tosser.....

Gene Krupa

Referee
I'm willing to help out Mac. I think it's a travesty what went on. It was sickening hearing Conway on the 2HD this morning. Corcoran sold his soul to become chairman.

And I am under the inpression that the two walkouts had no bearing on how the vote went.

astrogirl

First Grade
I just got a copy of this via email

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/absolutenm/templates/mediareleases.asp?articleid=989&zoneid=1

Board Statement

Thursday, February 01, 2007 - Newcastle Knights

STATEMENT FROM THE NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Thursday 1 February, 2007.

In relation to the recent Board meeting, the Newcastle Knights Board of Directors have released the following statement with regards to the resignation of former Chairman, Michael Tyler;

- The Board has been split over the club’s future direction and a decision was made to ensure the Newcastle Knights remain a community owned asset.

- A majority of Directors felt a leadership change was necessary to reconcile the aims and objectives of the Board and the club.

- Irrespective of Board level events, the preparation and performance of the football team remains the club’s top priority as the Newcastle Knights launch their 20th Premiership campaign.

- The Directors will be meeting in the coming days to elect a Chairman and replacement Director.

- Peter Corcoran OAM will remain Acting Chairman until that meeting takes place.

- Newcastle Knights Board of Directors.

Gene Krupa

Referee
What they don't mention in that statement, is that this is the view of only the controling section of the board.

Can anyone say damage control?

Alex28

Coach
So...wouldn't this just mean Tyler can run again, and if Harragon and Fitzgibbon vote this time around Tyler can be head honcho again? That way they can f*** off Corcoran at the same time from Vice President...

macavity

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
Whats the major issues against conway?

runs the club as a fiefdom, no charisma, doesnt get on with staff or board, reason sarge quit, putting wests off side, bad relationships w sponsors... etc etc....

ran the workers into the ground......?

Whats Doing

Bench
It would appear Corcoran, who has run for Chariman several times in the past has finally got his way through the back door.

Disgraceful

I'll throw my name up for the cause. I have had my gripes against Pringles in the past, but this situation is sickening for a supposedly professional organisation.

antonius

Coach
I'm willing to help Mac, have you heard from Nuffy re all this? A meeting of the members needs to be organised ASAP so the membership can voice their opinion on this. One thing is for sure the power of the 4 NRL directors needs to be reined in.

macavity

Referee
paper today - front page - Cheif is calling for members to demand an extraordinary GM.

exactly what we need to do - but we need a certain number of signatures to do it.

we need someone who has a database of members - we need to get in touch with the Cheif somehow.

who else is well connected with Knights members???? we can do this - im sure we would have enough willing to sign on - but its just a matter of organisation / discovery.

it needs to be done asap while the issue is hot and before damage is done.

Frederick

Staff member
I'll sign...pretty sure my grandfather will sign too, so that's another 2 members

Frederick

Staff member
sydraider said:
I know Vince Murphy if that helps? :lol:
...tell him to pull his f**king head in and stop acting so selfishly in aligning with Ken f**king Conway :fist:

sydraider

First Grade
Captain_Fred said:
...tell him to pull his f**king head in and stop acting so selfishly in aligning with Ken f**king Conway :fist:

:lol: That wont be easy, vince is a tough old bugger

macavity

Referee
sydraider said:
I know Vince Murphy if that helps? :lol:

ask him why its been done.

would be interesting to get the rationale there - they don't seem too keen on commenting at the moment...

antonius

Coach
I've tried e-mailing Chief but it seems the Knights have changed the way their e-mail addys are made up. If we can get a central spot for a petition there is no doubt we'd get the numbers. I was in the Knights office this morning and was told the place has been inundated with calls all supporting Tyler. Is it worth ringing the Knights and asking to speak to Chief?

Gene Krupa

Referee
I know the Cheif hangs around at the Duke of Wellington. I think her may be involved in the ownership or has an office there. Seen him there a few times.

The Genge

Juniors
A few points which may help:

I know some of the people involved in this and I also have a feeling into the way Wests (Phil Gardner) is:

1. The NRL boys are pretty nice blokes and you would be hard pressed to find a better more respected bloke in Newcastle then Kevin Smith.

2. Some of them do have business skills and work in business - T Crowe for example.

3. Phil Gardner has been descibed in the Clubland as having a BIG case of small man syndrome - and if you meet him you will understand why - it is often about ego.

4. I have nodoubt that Wests want controll of the Knights - they blew it with Superleague when they had the Mariners - and would not support the Knights back then when they wanted their help - so ten years latter they are pushing for the Knights.

5. Yes Vince is a tough old nut - but has a big heart.

6. Ken Conway is a smart bloke with very good business skills and previously ran the 2nd largest club in the Hunter (Newcastle Workers) - no wonder some people at Wests don't like him.

7. The Knights as a company (limited by guarantee) are subject to the Corporations ACT (Commonwealth) as such a motion to change the articles of associtation can be moved by i. The Board, ii. 100 members or 5% of the membership (whichever is the lesser).

8. The Newcastle Rugby League (NRL) helped to establish the Knights - perhaps it would have been better if they had just set the Knights up as a sub company with the NRL holding 100% of the shares - then their would be now issue with NRL directors on the board.

9. The NRL only appoints 4 directors of a 9 member board - 5 other directors either supported the motion or failed to vote (well one voted but were where the other 4?)

10. Fitzgibbon was appointed to the board by the directors and was not voted on (from memory), maybe a payback to keep NIB sponorship? Any how he like Conway and Gardner has a history with clubs - he was CEO of ClubsNSW - is there more too his arguement with Conway?

11. The NRL only has 4/9 of the Knights board - at Newcastle Leagues Club they have 5/9!

Any thoughts.....

Latest posts