What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Cooper

Gore

Juniors
ok so i have been trying to find some footage of this guy for a couple of days now...

all i can find is highlights of games from over there... which rarely feature props...

but from what i can see, he is a meaty hard running prop/second rower who looks like he has some pace...

saints4ever

First Grade
we have that in Seru. I would like to think even if we do get the Pom we wont lose a really good prospect

BennyV

Referee
I imagine by signing a new prop that Weyman could be the player who is moved on to make way for him.

From the AAP article above:

The possible signing of Cooper could cast doubt on the future of former Test prop Michael Weyman in the 'Red V', with the 28-year-old off contract at the end of the season.

Weyman is a champion and it would be great to hang on him. IMO, if he stay fit he still has a few good seasons left in him. But he is copping some injuries now.

Shame - I would have thought that offloading Henderson, Prior and/or Ah Mau would accomodate Cooper and allow Weyman to have a shot next season. If it were my choice (God forbid) I'd have Weyman on a 1 year contract, see how he holds up.

Mr Red

First Grade
Shame - I would have thought that offloading Henderson, Prior and/or Ah Mau would accomodate Cooper and allow Weyman to have a shot next season. If it were my choice (God forbid) I'd have Weyman on a 1 year contract, see how he holds up.

yeah agree with this rather than the idea of moving on Weyman. An 90% fit Weyman is still our best prop compared to what we currently have.
Plenty of dead wood to get rid of before you have to look at the good stuff.

jenninga

First Grade
At age 28 he would certainly want to secure the next 3 years so i doubt he would stay for one year.

BradMackay

Juniors
Weyman is not the player he once was and we can't carry him. Wayne will want to buy him on a 4 year deal anyway.

I hope the deal with Cooper falls through. WTF? ESL reserve grader and already 24. Worse than buying Ah Mau, Vea and Matthews. At least they're NRL reserve graders.

Ridiculous. Inexplicable decision. Unless he's on base at the Cutters, in which case why would he come? To live out of a backpackers in the Cross?

Small reserve grade forward. Super League reserve grade at that. How is this one rationalised?

Elias1983

Coach
The St George Illawarra Dragons on Tuesday finalised arrangements with Super League Club Warrington Wolves to sign prop-forward Mike Cooper for the next two seasons.
Warrington have agreed to release Cooper from his current contract at the end of this season granting him a move to the Dragons for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Cooper, 24, is contracted with Warrington until the end of 2014 but the club has agreed terms enabling him to sign for the Dragons and return to Warrington on a two-year contract following his two years in Australia.
“Mike is a rising young forward in the English Sper League who was keen to further develop his career in Australia,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.
“A number of people based in England have recommended Mike to us and he is a good value proposition for us over the next two seasons”.
Cooper is a product of the Warrington academy system having progressed from one of the town’s grassroots clubs, Latchford Albion.
The prop made his first team debut back in 2006, and has currently made 118 appearances for the primrose and blue including a Challenge Cup Final (2009) and a Grand Final last season.
“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do since the age of 16,” said Cooper.
"Being a Warrington lad I’m very proud to have been a part of what the club has achieved over the last couple seasons with the recent success in the Challenge Cup and in reaching the Grand Final.
“The next step for me is to test myself in Australia and gain some experience. I’m fully aware it’s going to be big learning curve for me; I’ll be back at square one again really but it’s something that really excites me.
“There were a couple of clubs that we were speaking to within the NRL having watched the last couple of seasons.
"St George Illawarra is a club with a great heritage this along with the big names involved with club and the pictures of where they are based at Wollongong ticked all the boxes for me."
Wolves’ head of coaching and rugby Tony Smith played for the Illawarra Steelers and the St George Dragons and was supportive of Cooper’s move to the Dragons.
“I’m pleased for Mike and we are pleased as a club to support him in his desires to add to his career tuition,” said Smith.
“We are happy to assist him in developing himself as a player and we hope this opportunity will be of benefit to both Mike and this club at some stage in the future.
“Mike has expressed that he has no wish to play for any other English or Super League club however he does have a desire to go and test his wares in the NRL and he’s been fortunate to be given that opportunity by St George Illawarra."
Cooper will relocate to Australia at the end of the 2013 season with Warrington and join the Dragons for pre-season training in November.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons-Sign-English-Cooper/73537

Elias1983

Coach
They showed some highlights on that link I posted, it has an interview with him and some highlights.

More of a 2nd rower than a prop....

Um, I don't know. He's definately not in the burgess or james graham mould....

Fingerbang

Bench
Ridiculous. Inexplicable decision. Unless he's on base at the Cutters, in which case why would he come? To live out of a backpackers in the Cross?

Small reserve grade forward. Super League reserve grade at that. How is this one rationalised?
My guess is someone who knows just a tad more about rugby league than you has seen something in him.

dragonv

Juniors
My guess is someone who knows just a tad more about rugby league than you has seen something in him.

If we have so many brilliant scouts at our club that know about rugby league why are we relying on Nathan Fien at half back every week?

If collectively we haven't heard of him we have reason to question him making it in the NRL.

Latest posts