What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Premiers ?

G

gorilla

Yeah, yeah – don’t get ahead of ourselves, etc, but

with the Bronco’s loss today, and with their matches against Dragons, Penrith, Easts and Parra, and with Parra’s matches against Doggies, raiders and Dragons

does that mean a mathematical possibility of Dragons as Minor premiers?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was hoping for the Broncos to win by one, not lose by one.
They rarely lose two on the trot.

To answer, yes. It is mathematically possible... but the thought of getting any hopes up, and then saving up for the inevitable crash, is too devastating to contemplate. ;-)

SHD

Juniors
Yeah possible but not bloody likely. It's possible for the Roosters to grab the spoon too...oh how sweet it would be if both improbabilities eventuated.

Dragonheart

Juniors
Before this round they were 6 points ahead of the Eels. With the Dragons winning, and the Eels winning, that means the Broncos are still 4 points in front. If the Dragons beat them next Sunday, and the Eels win, that only puts them 2 points ahead. So, yes, it is more than possible. Too many 'IFs' and speculation.

I wouldn't wish too hard.....as sweet as it would be, but I resigned myself, long ago, to the fact that the Broncos will be minor premiers.

Now....let's just see what we can do about getting to a Grand Final.

lotti

Bench
exactly don't get ahead of yourselves, the Broncos will be pissed off after Manly beat them.

borat

Bench
I would rather the Broncos beat parra and help us secure a top 2 then worry about 1st.

weasel

First Grade
I still think Broncos will be minor premiers, they'll need to lose three of their last four to relinquish it imo, and even then it'll come down to for and against. But the next four rounds will determine who has the psychological advantage going into the finals with Broncos vs Dragons, Dragons vs Eels and finally Eels vs Broncos. Whoever comes out looking stronger over those three matches will be premiers, I think. If the Broncos lose to both us and Parra then their minor premiership will be nothing but a consolation prize.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Dragons for and against is not as good as the Broncs and Eels (thanks to that 40-14 debacle against the Eels).

Quite possible to get 1st but more chance of getting 2nd.

I would rather get no injuries from now on that 1st or 2nd cause that is the only thing that stands in our way of a possible premiership.........

Dragonheart

Juniors
It's more than a mathematical possibility now.

I'm going to cover it on 'The Big Red V' later on today, but there is now only two results that matter.

Eels need to lose 1 of their remaining two matches, and we need to beat the nights. Of course, the for and against comes into it to a certain degree, but if the Eels lose to either the Raiders, or the Broncos, we need to beat the Knights by the same points to take the minor premiership.

However, as it stands now we are looking at finishing top two, and I think this means we get another week off, during the finals, which I don't see as a good thing.

Dragonheart

Juniors
Slippery Morris said:
The Dragons for and against is not as good as the Broncs and Eels (thanks to that 40-14 debacle against the Eels).

Quite possible to get 1st but more chance of getting 2nd.

To the contrary, we are +137, and the Broncos are +127. On for and against the Eels are the only worry at +196, with a game this afternoon. The Tigers are on +117.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Simple equation for today. If the Raiders beat the Eels, we have outright first spot.
Then we have to beat Newcastle next week, and beat them well, to hang onto the minor premiership (easier said then done).

To secure it in the final round would be great.

But the truth is, it's amazing that we can speculate about such a thing and still keep a staight face.

Remember, this team was coming last in April.

G

gorilla

Willow said:
Remember, this team was coming last in April.

That's the beauty of it - remember all those punters calling for heads and sackings, ah makes one all warm inside to not have been one :roll:

But the for-against will be the undoping, even if we beat the Knights, which we should but it a toughie for the tipping comp. Knights at home, last match, us after a bye.

The only way its a sure thing is if they'd've already avoided the spoon and they relax a little bit.

Still its a long way yet and the second stanza is starting soon - tough matches, sudden deaths, it'll be a worthy campaign if we pull it off.

TooheysNew

Coach
The only way its a sure thing is if they'd've already avoided the spoon and they relax a little bit.
Which is now not the case - we need to win and we need souths to lose to offload the spoon. No relaxing methinks.

Now we just need Joey to play as well away as he does at home. Not an easy task.

Jamesy

Juniors
I'd rather win the Big One than the Minor Premiership. Plus, when was the last time the MInor Premiers won the GF??

The Colonel

Immortal
Jamesy said:
Plus, when was the last time the MInor Premiers won the GF??

2003 - Penrith.

Mathematically it is still more than possible for the Dragons to win the minor premiership if the Dragons beat the Knights. The Parra/Brisbane game is not the foregone conclusion Wayne Bennett would have people believe....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree Colonel.

The equation is pretty simple now. Broncos win + Saints win well = Saints are minor premiers.

The Colonel

Immortal
S2H said:
We just need to sober up and win by 100 and the minor pemiership is ours.

Play your Jersey Flegg side. They have a habit of scoring points very quickly and have racked up the 100 already this season....

Latest posts