What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Premiers ?

Dragonheart

Juniors
I don't know where this idea came from that we have to score BIG points against Newcastle. We want to win it on a points table basis, not for and against.

If the Broncos beat the Eels, and the Dragons beat the Knights, we will finish 2 points up on the Eels. Regardless of the outcome of that other match, we should concentrate on beating the Knights, then at least second is ours.

However, I see the Broncos coming back to life, and just squeaking home against Parramatta on Friday.

Mr Saab

Referee
Dragonheart said:
However, I see the Broncos coming back to life, and just squeaking home against Parramatta on Friday.

dont get your hopes up on that scenario.
2003...panthers needed to win to win minor premiership...they smashed the eels
2004...chooks needed to win to win minor premiership...they smashed the eels
2005...eels need to win to win minor premiership....??????????

brokendigit

Juniors
The $250k would be lovely, but I'm already looking forward to the Dragsters towelling up Cronulla at WIN on Saturday night (2 Vs 7).

I'd rather have them dust Cronulla Week 1, more than any other pretender...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragonheart said:
I don't know where this idea came from that we have to score BIG points against Newcastle. We want to win it on a points table basis, not for and against.
We're 10 points ahead of the Broncos on the for-and-against. So by 'winning well' we have to make it hard for the Broncos should both teams end up on 36 points.

Another crucial game is the Sharks v Rabbitohs game on the Saturday night. If Rabbitohs win, then the Knights' quest to avoid the spoon is over. The emotion for them won't be the same.
But if the Scummers get up, look out come Sunday.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Dragons win worst position they will end up on in 2005 is 2nd. If Parra win and Dragons win that will more or less guarantee a Parra v Dragons GF as I would think that they would avoid each other in the finals until the GF.

Stone and Mander cost us outright Minor premiership with that decision against the Eels.

Parra should give them part of their winnings.

Dragonheart

Juniors
brokendigit said:
The $250k would be lovely, but I'm already looking forward to the Dragsters towelling up Cronulla at WIN on Saturday night (2 Vs 7).

I'd rather have them dust Cronulla Week 1, more than any other pretender...

I agree, but the way I'm looking at it is that finishing 1 or 2 we get a week off after the first round of the finals. If that's the case I'd rather risk everything after a bye with the minor premiership tucked away, otherwise I'd rather see the boys finish 3 or 4.

We don't play well after a bye, but maybe that will change this weekend.....and yes, go the bunnies!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Slippery Morris said:
Stone and Mander cost us outright Minor premiership with that decision against the Eels.

Parra should give them part of their winnings.

And Simpkins cost Parra the outright lead when he missed Barrett's forward pass to Sims for the Dragons 2nd try at Korgarah

All teams get good calls and dud calls during the year

Southernsaint

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
And Simpkins cost Parra the outright lead when he missed Barrett's forward pass to Sims for the Dragons 2nd try at Korgarah

All teams get good calls and dud calls during the year

Best to get them out of the way in the H & A season rather than the finals...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Simpkins also erred when gave Parra 7 tackles - I put that in the same category as a forward pass. A human error. As long as the ref is consistently erring both ways, then it all evens out in the end. I have no problem with either decision.

But what Mander did was just plain inept imo. 20+ players going at it in an all-in brawl and he thinks there's still a contest happening? Hardly a good comparison to a forward pass.

The same refereee has stopped play in matches since where a brawl has broken out, including one in the Broncos v Saints match recently where Greenshields was in the clear with the try line in front of him. Mander called him back and gave Saints the penalty. I have no problem with the decision but it's completely the opposite to what he did in the Parra match where he made of mockery of 'playing advantage'.

I think all people want is a bit of consistency and to see that the crucial decisions, right or wrong, are not all going the one way. Generally speaking I think the referees are consistent but there have been some memorable clangers over the years.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Top two is all that really counts for us, guaranteed through to the next week at worst.

The minor premiership is a nice honour, but I'd be very interested to find out how many minor premiers have actually gone on to win the comp, in the last 5 years?

Dragonheart

Juniors
Apparently the Panthers did in 2003.

However, just because most minor premiers don't win the GF doesn't mean it can't happen this year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Since 1954, 30+ minor premiers have won the Grand Final.

In the last five seasons (2000-2004) two minor premiers have won the Grand Final: Brisbane (2000) and Penrith (2003).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Parra get the minor premiership it's only cause they had a good easy draw in the end. Hardly played any decent sides of late, Doggies gave them 50+ boost, and when they have come up against a form team they have crumbled. Look at the Knight and Dragons. Their only 2 hard games they had since round 18 and lost both.

Again they play an easy game against the reserve grade Bronco's.

You can only play what's in front of you I suppose and Parra did that. Good luck to them. Only hope the cop the same last time they won the minr premiership.

If only Dragons went on with a couple of their wins to post some big scores. Especially 18-0 up against the Eels to end up winning by 3.

Mr Saab

Referee
morris..
minor premiership is a prestigious thing, but when its all said and done most people remember who won the comp and not who finished 1st after the reg season
Winning the minor premiership is no lock to mean you will win the comp. The yrs the MP won the comp the past 13 yrs have been 1992 1996 1998 2000 2003

For 2005...the eels will play the eagles and the dragons will play the sharks. Not a major thing.

Nickeel

Juniors
Slippery Morris said:
If Parra get the minor premiership it's only cause they had a good easy draw in the end. Hardly played any decent sides of late, Doggies gave them 50+ boost, and when they have come up against a form team they have crumbled. Look at the Knight and Dragons. Their only 2 hard games they had since round 18 and lost both.

Again they play an easy game against the reserve grade Bronco's.

You can only play what's in front of you I suppose and Parra did that. Good luck to them. Only hope the cop the same last time they won the minr premiership.

If only Dragons went on with a couple of their wins to post some big scores. Especially 18-0 up against the Eels to end up winning by 3.

Will be interesting to see if you still regard us as having 'crumbled' to Newcastle if you should lose this Sunday.

We only lost by 3 points to you guys, too. Four tries a piece.

I would worry about your mob before I start dissecting other teams.

Good luck to you, too.

Nick

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hey, Nicky... the glass doesnt always have to be half empty you know.
Chin up. :cool:

Godz Illa

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
morris..
minor premiership is a prestigious thing, but when its all said and done most people remember who won the comp and not who finished 1st after the reg season
Pretty spot on. It's not going to keep you warm at night is it? Blankets and naked women are still the best thing for that.

Nugby

Juniors
[quote="Charlie Saab] miinor premiership is a prestigious thing, but when it's all said and done most people remember who won the comp and not who finished first after the reg season [/quote]

Shh! Don't tell the Rabbitohs supporters that!

Dakink

Bench
Godz Illa said:
Pretty spot on. It's not going to keep you warm at night is it? Blankets and naked women are still the best thing for that.

Ahh a man after my own heart!

Latest posts