What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Premiers ?

Yes but at the same time Newcastle's game is one step better than everyone else, if they had of been playing like this all season it would of been a completely different looking table!

Noone is expecting it to be an easy win on Sunday. BUT at least we've had to FIGHT to stay where we are, unlike other teams!

Mr Saab

Referee
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
Yes but at the same time Newcastle's game is one step better than everyone else, if they had of been playing like this all season it would of been a completely different looking table!

and if the dogs had a fully fit team they would be in the 8
and if the panthers didnt bomb 5 games in the final 10 mins they would be in the 8
and if the chooks had a halfback who could create they wouldnt have lost the 13 games they have...half by 6 points or less
and if the berrigan and bott scored 2 tries off grubbers vs the broncos and panthers they would be on 38 points and minor premiers

every club can say what if.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Squishy, small point...
I recall you were a Dragons supporter earlier this year when they were doing poorly.
Then you switched the Knights.
If Souths get the wooden spoon will you be supporting them?

Wobbygong

First Grade
"But at least we've had to fight to stay were we are, unlike other teams" pfffft!

So I suppose the Dragons fight back from being last after 6 rounds, lacks credibility?

Dragonheart

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
and if the dogs had a fully fit team they would be in the 8
and if the panthers didnt bomb 5 games in the final 10 mins they would be in the 8
and if the chooks had a halfback who could create they wouldnt have lost the 13 games they have...half by 6 points or less
and if the berrigan and bott scored 2 tries off grubbers vs the broncos and panthers they would be on 38 points and minor premiers

every club can say what if.

....and if the Dragons had not dropped 4 out of 5 games in the early season we wouldn't be having this conversation. The minor premiership would be wrapped up, and Sunday would be a training run.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Strange logic. I didn't know you had to fight to stay in last place... but then again, here we are.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
Noone is expecting it to be an easy win on Sunday. BUT at least we've had to FIGHT to stay where we are, unlike other teams!

You're team (assuming it's Newcastle of course), fought to come last?

Mr Saab

Referee
Immortal said:
You're team (assuming it's Newcastle of course), fought to come last?

strange but true.
I expect them in later yrs to brag about how they were the best performing wooden spooners of all time.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's funny hearing Bulldogs fans go on about injuries. Dragons had Bailey, Gaz and Baz out most season and made 5th. Losing Sonny Bill and Tonga most of the season and coming possibly 11th is shocking.

They have had alot of injuries but 3 points from the spoon shows lack of depth.

Releasing Ben Harris was a dumb move. Only themselves to blame.

Choosing Mason ahead of Anasta........Now that is dumb.

Mr Saab

Referee
Slippery Morris said:
Releasing Ben Harris was a dumb move. Only themselves to blame.

Choosing Mason ahead of Anasta........Now that is dumb.

harris asked for a release for personal reasons

Mason is better than Anasta...Anasta only plays well when its a contract yr.
Sure Mason has not been great his 5 or so games this yr, but he did come off surgery to a bad ankle.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Slippery,

For godsake don't say that to Graeme Hughes, in his opinion the Dragons injuries of the last 3 years just don't compare with those suffered by the Dogs - yeah right heaps!

Timmins (knees), Bailey (2 torn pecs), Ryles (2 shoulders) and Gasnier (fractured collarbone, and foot) all suffered season ending injuries. Barrett before this season hadn't played more than 4 games in a row since 2002. Thompson, Head, Cooper and Hornby all had injuries at different times. The only 4 blokes that played every match were Riddell, Kite, Tingah and Young.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mason is a forward, Anasta a 5/8........How many other good 5/8's at the Dogs? I can name plenty of good forwards at the Dogs......Easier to get a forward from another club than a 5/8.

Don't worry, the Dragons reserve grade 5/8 will help you guys out next season, but he ain't no Anasta.

Anasta is in the top 5 for 5/8's. Thurston may be ahead of him, oops, Dogs let him go too......

Mr Saab

Referee
thurston wanted to go back home to NQ. Case of homesickness
Reni Matua will fill in at the 6 quite well for 2006.
Mason is a forward, but a bloody good one when fully fit.
It was like Johns at the start of this yr, he was playing like a busted but then he came back after he broke his jaw and is killing it. I know i know i know Mason is nowhere near Johns and is also a forward, but it is the same kind of thing.

Dragons_#1

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
thurston wanted to go back home to NQ. Case of homesickness
Reni Matua will fill in at the 6 quite well for 2006.
Mason is a forward, but a bloody good one when fully fit.
It was like Johns at the start of this yr, he was playing like a busted but then he came back after he broke his jaw and is killing it. I know i know i know Mason is nowhere near Johns and is also a forward, but it is the same kind of thing.
didnt helo out while anasta was on origin duties??
holdsworth will do alright in 06 for the dogs, hes got potential

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I'm just stating the obvious and touching on what others have said but here it goes...

The early 2000s have been awful for Saints, injury-wise. We sometimes had around 13 first graders out of action - the injury record shows how much of a battle it was.

And yet we still finished in the semis on all but two occasions (2000 and 2003) and even then, there were only a couple of competition points in it.

Injuries are simply a test of depth. It sometimes hits teams harder at certain times but its still part and parcel of the game.

If a team can get through the hard times and can still compete well, they will reap the benefits when they eventually come out the other side. That way they can handle losing one or two star players occasionally and less injuries will always give the combinations a chance to properly develop.

IF Saints can continue to keep relatively injury free, and IF Saints win the premiership, 2005 will be remembered as the year when we finally reached our full potential.

Latest posts