What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missed tackles.

Mako

Juniors
Mako wrote:
OR it could be that our defensive pattern is different to those clubs with lower miss tackle and more points on them - care to point out the difference between the Sharks and a club with less miss tackles (avg per game) and more points against (avg per game)?

Do you a deal, you answer my question that I asked ages ago and if you get it right I will answer your question.

I think my question is alot easier to answer.

Anyway I did answer your question.
It's too early to tell the difference in defensive patterns that each club has.
Just when the Broncos pull off a clinical defensive effort against the Roosters. They then look totally different against the Storm. And teams change their defensive patterns depending on who they play each week. So it has been difficult to establish trends just yet.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Actually the trends are pretty easy to see, just a bit confusing.

The highly compressed team are getting toasted on the edges. Passes are sticking that probably never used to.
The new ruck play is allowing teams to go wider, Rooster, Low dogs are highly compressed & down on personel. They will come good becasue their defense is good. Any pattern can be adapted to when your teqnique is good & you are fit.

But they really have to keep practicing their Scramble defense.

Jeez, this time last year, Frilingos had us posted as favourites for the wooden spoon!!!!

We are now 4-1 with a bye. Not too shabby I reckon. Sure we need to improve in handling and defence, but hell, I'm a much happier camper than I was this time last year.

Mako

Juniors
Sheros wrote:
We are now 4-1 with a bye. Not too shabby I reckon. Sure we need to improve in handling and defence, but hell, I'm a much happier camper than I was this time last year.

And that is exactly what is being said! But DS does not agree with you ... he says our defence is fine and it does not matter about missed tackles.

My point has never been I am not happy with the start we have - said I am about 10 times. I just want to see the miss tackles, which will eventually come back to cost us, reduced and like you would like to see the handling erros reduced. (although I will say that the dogs game was damn hot and I can understand the dropped ball and we offload a lot and that will always create the chance for a handling error so I am a little less concerned about that).

Anyhow, I believe what I do and DS can continue his delusions!

Mako, Read the post this time.

Dragon Slayer said:
I have tried to dispel the fallicy that a high miss tackle rate doesn't necessarily lead to high points conceded by that team even before this weekend, and I was shouted down by some know it all knob.

It is those cold one on one misses out wide that are the real bad ones that lead to tries. And I haven't seen the Sharks doing any amount of those to have any alarm bells ringing for Raper. Like Black Dot stated, if three tacklers go in to the tackle and one falls off and the other two complete an effective tackle is that miss tackle an issue? Of course not.

Lets look at some of the miss tackle rates and points conceded from this weekend;

Sharks had 36 miss tackles and conceded 6 points.
Cowboys had 36 miss tackles and conceded 38 points.

So in that game statistically speaking we have conceded the same high rate of miss tackles as the Cowboys but conceded only one try to their 7.

Now to show that this game is not a fluke let's look at another.

Broncos had 25 miss tackles and conceded 14 points.
Eels had 25 miss tackles and conceded 54 points.

I could go on but lets look at the other side of the statistics.
Does a low miss tackle rate mean a low amount of points conceded? No.

The Roosters this weekend only had 13 miss tackles.
From this relatively low rate compared to other teams above they have conceded 24 points.

So the miss tackle statistics are a non event.
Just like this thread and its author.

We have the third best defensive record in the league currently and it clearly shows Raper has done a tremendous amount of work with our defence. So the people who state otherwise as seen in my signature must have other agendas.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dont be too hard on DS.
So many things on his mind.
he is currently working ob his scramble support play theory & how you drill practice it.

Mako

Juniors
DS Wrote:
So the miss tackle statistics are a non event.

So the near miss plane incidents are a non event too? I mean no crash occurred.

Near miss car accidents are a non event - no crash occurred.

THAT is the issue here. The higher the near miss count the closer to it happening.

The fact that after 5 rounds it has happened to teams with a low near miss rate and not to some with a high rate does NOT mean that in the long run it will stay that way.

We have gotten away with our near misses - lets reduce them and decrease the likelyhood of it costing us when the business end of the season is on us.

Marty Moose

Juniors
when it all boils down to it, all aspects of the team need to be addressed over a season, attack, defense, missed tackles, fitness, ball control etc etc any team that is playing the same football at the end of the season as they did at the start of the season should have the fans calling for heads to roll. the scrambling has been good to date but further into the season we will not get away with missing that many tackles so we have to make sure we address the issue and improve the amount of 1st attempt tackles.

would be interesting to see the clubs stats each week and see what the coaching staff have to think about it as I am sure they analyse it a touch more than us lot

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
They do.
They even have different criteria for what constitutes a stat.
Funnily enough, when they need stats on another team for an upcoming match up, they buy the stats that NRL.com use.

for instance, the Broncs would be looking at the missed tackle rate on the Vagana/simmons side of the field. Maybe the missed tackle rate by hutch? The amount of surrender calls on stosic? The offloads bv Stevo?
I love the line we just have to worry about our own game.
went out yonks ago.

Marty Moose

Juniors
so even as they do their own stas on their own teams and disregard the NRL stats, the clubs go and buy the flawed NRL stats, seems strange. I would think an indepth study of the videos would be more productive but I am sure they do that too.

One of my mates brothers is the stats man for Trinity wakefield and is moving out here, would be interesting to see how the poms do it, stats I mean

translation:

DS - our attitude and commitment in defense is the best we've seen since forever. great stuff

BTR - yes, but the defense will need to be much tighter to shut down the heavy hitters at the business end of the season

DS - closet rooster !

Latest posts