What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein - the difference between a W or a L

evil_p091280

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I've been a big Rein fan since he started.

But last few weeks and then tonight, what is going on???

Is he trying too hard?

I mean, no one in the comp chucks more dumb fwd passes than him (except cam smith - who never called for it).

TheRev

Coach
I just dont get why King doesnt get more minutes though, its like Price picks a player at the start of the year and refuses to change his stance.

hardbaby

Coach
Second season syndrome I'd guess. He caught people off guard last year. He was immense. But they have cottoned onto him this year and he needs to re-invent himself. His defence is great but his skill set isn't really that of an upper echelon player. Tries his arse off. Great competitor. I'm glad we have him. But what he is giving us at the moment isn't really good enough. Maybe the competition between him and King is playing on his mind. That is something a good coach would redress...if we had one. Yet another player not living up to his potential. Look elsewhere for the true problem.

Mitch Rein's woes are more graphic symptoms of the bigger picture problem concerning team preparation. Really, MR should be dropped for a week or two for consistent error prone performances like that. But that won't happen now will it.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Second season syndrome I'd guess. He caught people off guard last year. He was immense. But they have cottoned onto him this year and he needs to re-invent himself. His defence is great but his skill set isn't really that of an upper echelon player. Tries his arse off. Great competitor. I'm glad we have him. But what he is giving us at the moment isn't really good enough. Maybe the competition between him and King is playing on his mind. That is something a good coach would redress...if we had one. Yet another player not living up to his potential. Look elsewhere for the true problem.
Great post, Agree 100%

Dezziedc

Juniors
Honestly, I don't think King did much better tonight. Rein just threw 1 forward pass and knocked on which made him look worse. I couldn't really tell the difference otherwise.

I think its the whole team - confidence is down and they have no direction. Even Dugan look out of sorts tonight. I hope he hasn't caught it too....

Country Dragon

Juniors
Honestly, I don't think King did much better tonight. Rein just threw 1 forward pass and knocked on which made him look worse. I couldn't really tell the difference otherwise.

I think its the whole team - confidence is down and they have no direction. Even Dugan look out of sorts tonight. I hope he hasn't caught it too....

Fair enough comment, what else is left to do? (Coach)???

ozbuck

Juniors
The speed of the play the ball was very slow tonight. we had no go forward. We had no muscle in the pack. We had no speedy runs out of dummy half to put the defense on the back foot to open up gaps around the ruck. This is what we were doing when we were winning, especially against the Sharks.

And we were 5 metres away from going into extra time after all that!

jezmond

Juniors

Dezziedc, i think it was more the timing of that forward pass and knock on... they were at crucial times in the match and caused us to lose all possible momentum. It was brainless stuff from Mitch.

64 Dragon

Coach
The Dogs were throwing forward passes all night and getting away with it. With the refs allowing them to lie all over us in the tackles certainly didn't help us. Selective penalising, I think they call it. The top teams get away with it.

One thing that came from the game for me, Nathan Fien, as much as he tries for us, really has to go. His kicking sucks, and he kicks too early in the tackle count when no-one else is ready for it.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Mitch hasn't been great this year, maybe a stint in reserve grade is needed, Fien has to go IMO, we need Soward cause of his kick game which was better tonight...

I thought we got hammered by the refs again second week in a row. 1st try obstruction, 2nd try there was a 2 metre forward passing in lead up, A clear 3 on 1 strip on Stockwell, and various other penalties. Also The barba incident was an act of foul play, why wasn't he sent to the sin bin?. It frustrates me immensely. We are not playing well at the moment obviously, but it's harder to watch when we don't get a go from the refs.

saintsarah

Juniors
Agree with the sentiment surrounding Mitch, was very frustrating to see the stuff ups from him tonight, and the lack of bite from the team as a whole. Also agree that from has to go, I think he was more frustrating to watch tonight!!

kit66

Bench
I have no problem at all with Rein, I think he's a great little player. He hasn't played his best for a couple of weeks but neither has anyone else ( except DeBelin, best player on the park tonight ) and as for forward passes, it's almost part of the game this year with a very flat attack being in vogue, I've seen dozens from a lot of different players including a very lazy effort from King last week.
Rein wasn't the reason we lost tonight not by a long shot. We have problems all over the park and it starts with how we are being coached. All this one out running, no passes, no angle runs, far less decoys than we used to use and people getting the ball and running sideways with no-one calling for the ball, it's very poor. How we only lost by two points is beyond me.

inside_pass

Bench
The speed of the play the ball was very slow tonight. we had no go forward. We had no muscle in the pack. We had no speedy runs out of dummy half to put the defense on the back foot to open up gaps around the ruck. This is what we were doing when we were winning, especially against the Sharks.

And we were 5 metres away from going into extra time after all that!
If you lose the battle in the forwards you generally lose the game,end of story!

Efresh

Coach
The difference between King and Rein, is that King throws the pass in front of his receiver so they catch the ball moving forward. Rein mostly passes at his receiver so they have to stand still or slow down to catch it.

It's a basic skill for a hooker. Passing.