What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

Good to see your doing well commish.

I hope your heading down to win on saturday for the Cutters trial as well as the Under 20's.

Old Timer

Coach
FFS your idiocy is starting to annoy me again:x.

JDB doesn't simply get deep and run hard all the time like Au Mau because that is not JDBs job. His job is to at times get deep and run hard and other times to pass the ball before the line and other times to step and try and get between defenders and look for an offload. And continually and consistently hit hard in defense. JDB does all those things and for the over a year has been doing it very well. Before that, under the tutelage of supercoach Price one could only wonder how a guy seemingly so talented could play so poorly.

Mitch Reins job is first and foremost to provide good clean passes out of dummy half to the first receiver. Not pass it between two runners leaving the closer guy not knowing if it was meant for him or the runner outside him.

JDB does his job and does it well on an extremely consistent basis and did that job in the CS of 2016. Mitch Rein doesn't and didn't in the CS of 2016!

You said one of then could have caught it regardless of it being a bad pass !!!!!!!!!

So what was JDB doing when he didn't catch the ball?

At the end of the day Rein plays well and wins a new deal or doesn't and gets shifted.

Havili has potential but as a long term dummy half imo they need to look elsewhere.

I see him as a very good utility who can shift from 9 to 13 or even play at 11 and 12 but not a starter at this stage.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
What are your guys thoughts on Havilii vs Rein?
Preference?

Mate we know what Rein can or cant do...bit early to call re Havili, although what I have seen I like...I tell you one thing I am looking forward to when he cuts loose against tyring opposition...he's a solid boy and looks to have a good passing game in him...thats one advantage he has over Rein at this stage.

BennyV

Referee
You said one of then could have caught it regardless of it being a bad pass !!!!!!!!!

Really? You are trying to justify Rein's horrible, horrible passing 'ability' by saying someone should just catch it.

Here's an idea - a first grade hooker with 100+ games experience should just throw a pass to the target. That's out in front of the ball player so that when they run onto it, they catch it on their chest. They shouldn't have to stop and reach low, high or behind them to catch it, thus killing their momentum as happens so often to our forwards and playmakers. And they sure as hell shouldn't have to wonder who the pass was intended for.

Rein passes straight, we wouldn't even be having the conversation.

Question - what gives Rein a free ride with you?

rainman44

Bench
Really? You are trying to justify Rein's horrible, horrible passing 'ability' by saying someone should just catch it.

Here's an idea - a first grade hooker with 100+ games experience should just throw a pass to the target. That's out in front of the ball player so that when they run onto it, they catch it on their chest. They shouldn't have to stop and reach low, high or behind them to catch it, thus killing their momentum as happens so often to our forwards and playmakers. And they sure as hell shouldn't have to wonder who the pass was intended for.

I agree, he also looks lost on the game of rugby league, decision making is even worse then his passing game. He might be a smart bloke off the field but he seems like a dumb footballer out on the field. In my opinion he is a major reason why our attack is shit house.

giboz71

First Grade
When a hooker is at dummy half he can do 1 of 3 things:

1. Pass from the ruck - and ensure you don't stymie the momentum by hitting your receiver in the chest
2. Run - pick and choose the correct moment to scoot from dummy half yourself
3. Run and link - scoot wide from the ruck and either hit a flying forward or unleash your outside backs (much like halves do).

The best hookers do all 3 things well, and have the required vision to know what option to pick. Smith, Farah, Luke, Friend etc. even Ennis last year.

Rein fails miserably at 1 and 3. As far as his running from dummy half, he does ok here and when he has a good game, it usually includes some good runs from dummy half, sometimes even scoring a try. He does this every few games and it seems to keep the wolves at the door.

Problem is, we can't keep persisting with him and his occasional good games if we want to be a top 4 side.

Last edited:

Cagey Mac

Bench
When a hooker is at dummy half he can do 1 of 3 things:

1. Pass from the ruck - and ensure you don't stymie the momentum by hitting your receiver in the chest
2. Run - pick and choose the correct moment to scoot from dummy half yourself
3. Run and link - scoot wide from the ruck and either hit a flying forward or unleash your outside backs (much like halves do).

The best hookers do all 3 things well, and have the required vision to know what option to pick. Smith, Farah, Luke, Friend etc. even Ennis last year.

Rein fails miserably at 1 and 3. As far as his running from dummy half, he does ok here and when he has a good game, it usually includes some good runs from dummy half, sometimes even scoring a try. He does this every few games and it seems to keep the wolves at the door.

Problem is, we can't keep persisting with him and his occasional good games if we want to be a top 4 side.

His lack of a consistent short kicking game also makes him easier to read.
Oh and "Wolves from the door" :D

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The 1-2 seconds Rein takes to pick up the ball, look both sides of the ruck, then throw a poor pass is exactly what kills our momentum, especially coming out from our own half.

Other hookers are looking at the opposition to pick out a player out of line (whilst a forward takes a hit up) and when that player plays the ball, the hooker passes it quickly from the ground, hitting a another running forward on the chest. And yes they pass it slightly in front of the player.

That 1-2 seconds hesitation from Rein gives ample time for defences to crowd around our ball carriers. It's the reason why we sometimes really struggle to get out of our own half.

V

Vasilevsky

This should not be difficult, even for you. In a skills training session when the coach says to JDB or the team or the members participating in the session, get ready for some tough passes" or even if they know they are going to be taking some tough passes, I'm quite JDB would catch that pass 9 times out of 10.

The main problem in the CS game wasn't that the pass to JDB was bad, it was that he hesitated because he didn't know if the was meant for him or Packer as it was going in front of him but behind Packer. He then ended up snatching at the ball as it was in front of him and going past him.

There is a lot to like about Mitch Rein's game and for me, one main thing to dislike. His passing out of dummy half and the incident I'm speaking of was a classic example. JDB knew it. Rein knew it. It seems at least 90% of the posters on this forum know it.

V

Vasilevsky

With him I quite sure it has more to do with JDB, not Rein. He enjoys taking snipes at JDB and Benji at every opportunity even though at least 95% of the time, it doesn't make any sense.

watatank

Coach
There was a segment from Sterlo's show where McGregor was mic'd up (as an assistant coach) against Parramatta (the same game Marshall started and I think Price's last as head coach). Rein was still being told at that time that he needed to pass the ball in front of players. It's in the first 15 seconds of this video. Pretty bad that he needs to be told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRyQ6P-Vrtg