What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

BennyV

Referee
At times I really hope Rein goes just to see if our attack improves the way some think on this site. He has poor games, as do most players, I thought he played poorly against the Dogs, but he is a quality player. However many blame him for anything wrong with Saints, God damn he must be to blame for male pattern baldness! We need to be careful of continually down playing some of our players. I remember a number of people wanting to dump Ah Mau only a little while ago, and Creagh, and Marketo and Matthews were dud buys....and where is that Beale character who never should be in first grade....oh that's right he played most of the season in first grade for the Sharks who finished above us. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Rein hate gets a little unfair at times.

There are approximately 2-3 forumites who exhibit 'Rein hate'. The rest of us recognise that for all his good attributes, there are fairly major-yet-fundamental flaws in his game that need to improve, or we should be in the market for an upgrade. And no, those flaws aren't the fault of the forward pack, the coach, or anyone outside of the hooker himself.

And no, those flaws aren't the fault of the forward pack, the coach, or anyone outside of the hooker himself.

A coach, whoever that is, must take some responsibility in failing to rectify basic skills, such as passing (especially for a hooker).

Straight Shooter

giboz71

First Grade
There are approximately 2-3 forumites who exhibit 'Rein hate'. The rest of us recognise that for all his good attributes, there are fairly major-yet-fundamental flaws in his game that need to improve, or we should be in the market for an upgrade. And no, those flaws aren't the fault of the forward pack, the coach, or anyone outside of the hooker himself.

Agreed he needs to improve, but in terms of who was available in the market, there wasn't a lot of choice.

Out of the all the hookers that switched teams this year, only Luke would be a no-brainer, perhaps Korisau or Parcell (although each of those guys are largely unproven). And obviously we made enquiries about Farah.

But really, unless we land a top 5 hooker, no one else a tier below would be a significant upgrade. You'd only make a move if Rein demanded top dollar, so it would be more a salary cap consideration, moreso than an actual improvement.

If we do keep him, just hope to hell he improves his weaknesses.

BennyV

Referee
A coach, whoever that is, must take some responsibility in failing to rectify basic skills, such as passing (especially for a hooker).

Straight Shooter

I'd go a step further an suggest that every coach he's had since u16s has a say in that. But I was referring more to the fact that his flaws are his, and not a result of a dominated forward pack, unbalanced halves combo or whatever other excuse get's trotted out for him.

Agreed he needs to improve, but in terms of who was available in the market, there wasn't a lot of choice.

Out of the all the hookers that switched teams this year, only Luke would be a no-brainer, perhaps Korisau or Parcell (although each of those guys are largely unproven). And obviously we made enquiries about Farah.

But really, unless we land a top 5 hooker, no one else a tier below would be a significant upgrade. You'd only make a move if Rein demanded top dollar, so it would be more a salary cap consideration, moreso than an actual improvement.

If we do keep him, just hope to hell he improves his weaknesses.

I'm not at all saying to get rid of him! I think his best asset is his durability and proven experience as a starting first grade hooker. The guy is adequate. But really, I want more than adequate. A pick up like Parcell or Korisau for this year would have been well worth it as it gives a year's transition to show they can keep up to the rigours of first grade, with the added advantage of pushing Rein to improve himself. If they didn't make it, we are no worse off since we still have Rein.

Much like the impending movement of Benji within the next 2-3 years, we needed to plan for someone to take over from Rein (assuming we actually want someone better). Pick up an up-and-coming youngster and let him prove himself. Maybe it's what the plan is for Havili, he's definitely got potential. But we should have been doing this for the last 2 years.

The other side of this is that unless we can get a good start of picking up a solid, proven first grade hooker, we have no bargaining power when it comes to Rein's contract negotiation. Did you wonder why he's so relaxed and not in a rush to re-sign? I'd say it's because at the moment, there's no one else with his experience and ability at the club. If he leaves, our fallbacks are Havili (Who needs to prove his worth in the early rounds) and McCrone. If he puts his foot down and demands $600k or he'll leave, what do we do? I'd love to just be able to say 'see ya' but then we are leaving ourselves short of a proven first grade hooker, unless Havili has a break out year.

It's not a reason we should be in a rush to sign him, but it's something we should have considered a year or two ago. And we need to be careful with how we manage the hooker position in the coming season.

giboz71

First Grade
So which hookers are off contract for 2017 we can have a look at? Anyone know? Any juniors of note in our 20's? Havili is decent player, but can't see him being our long term option.

Given we seem to have cash to spend, wonder why we didn't make any enquiries about Luke before he signed for the Warriors? Was he always going to NZ?

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Rein has done well to be where he is but he has limited skill level and creativity and not a smart player. I think we have been put in a position where we have had to rely on his development when we should have been developing options behind him. Most of the options to me have been seen as merely players to give rein a rest rather than potential options to take over. His signing long term signing doesnt provide other options to try their luck. Anyway, teams like manly (koriasau and parcell) and souths (cook and mcinnes) may not have proven options but they have the chance to establish themselves but i would prefer that position to have rein and havili despite the risks because havili is unlikely to take over.

hazzbeen

Bench
Rein has done well to be where he is but he has limited skill level and creativity and not a smart player. I think we have been put in a position where we have had to rely on his development when we should have been developing options behind him. Most of the options to me have been seen as merely players to give rein a rest rather than potential options to take over. His signing long term signing doesnt provide other options to try their luck. Anyway, teams like manly (koriasau and parcell) and souths (cook and mcinnes) may not have proven options but they have the chance to establish themselves but i would prefer that position to have rein and havili despite the risks because havili is unlikely to take over.

watatank..I agree he has done ok for a guy that is not creative but puts in every week and is a tough little bugger. He is in a position that being creative with the ball is what is needed at hooker at main position in today's game . In saying that we have another gutsy player in another important position that is not a ball player also, but is a great runner with the ball Dugan..... Two important positions Fullback, hooker not much creativity happening from these two player but in saying that they both add other things to our team. Can we really challenge for another premiership with these two guys in theses positions compared to top four teams ? Maybe.....

saints4me

Juniors
By playing behind a bigger pack hopefully will take some tackling responsibilities off him and allow him to be more creative.

giboz71

First Grade
watatank..I agree he has done ok for a guy that is not creative but puts in every week and is a tough little bugger. He is in a position that being creative with the ball is what is needed at hooker at main position in today's game . In saying that we have another gutsy player in another important position that is not a ball player also, but is a great runner with the ball Dugan..... Two important positions Fullback, hooker not much creativity happening from these two player but in saying that they both add other things to our team. Can we really challenge for another premiership with these two guys in theses positions compared to top four teams ? Maybe.....

Yep agree with all that.

The key question is do their strengths outweigh their weaknesses. I would argue no. Scraping into the 8 and having the 2nd worst attack in the comp is pretty clear evidence we need to do better.

The comp is too strong to try and compete with fundamental weaknesses we had last year. Add the fact we had 2 5/8's also. It may be ok against the also rans but when we come up against the better sides, these weaknesses are exposed.

We've tried to solve the Dugan problem, but we're yet to see if Mann is the answer. Time will tell. As for the other issues, who knows? We still have 2 5/8's and a limited hooker.

More depth in the forwards will help as well as a premiership winning attacking coach.

Gonna be an interesting year.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Yep agree with all that.

The key question is do their strengths outweigh their weaknesses. I would argue no. Scraping into the 8 and having the 2nd worst attack in the comp is pretty clear evidence we need to do better.

The comp is too strong to try and compete with fundamental weaknesses we had last year. Add the fact we had 2 5/8's also. It may be ok against the also rans but when we come up against the better sides, these weaknesses are exposed.

We've tried to solve the Dugan problem, but we're yet to see if Mann is the answer. Time will tell. As for the other issues, who knows? We still have 2 5/8's and a limited hooker.

More depth in the forwards will help as well as a premiership winning attacking coach.

Gonna be an interesting year.

giboz71 Thinking the same way, we have improved in some areas so really we should do better than last year if not some key positions will need to be looked at ....

Cagey Mac

Bench
Using terms like incompetence regarding Rein weakens your argument.
He has flaws that make put him in the middle of the table as far as NRL hookers go but incompetence?

getsmarty

Immortal
Rein: Test Out New Systems

Wed 10th February, 07:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons hooker Mitch Rein is keen to put into practice the new systems the team have learnt during the traditional Charity Shield fixture at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park on Saturday.
The NSW Country Origin representative concedes this will be the first opportunity for the entire playing group to come together and demonstrate what they are capable of after a disappointing NRL Auckland Nines tournament campaign over the weekend.

Head Coach Paul McGregor has named a 25-man squad for the traditional fixture which includes several younger players and off-season signings a like experiencing their first Charity Shield match.
The local Kiama Knights junior admits that the annual pre-season fixture will be special for not only them to experience but also the local charities and communities the team supports.
“It’s pretty disappointing that we didn’t get a win in the Nines but it was a great week to be a part of,” said Rein.
“We took a very young squad who got their chance to gain some valuable competitive minutes and experience under those types of conditions.
“We have been concentrating on the 13-man game throughout the pre-season which meant it was hard to try out combinations over the weekend.
“I know all the new guys to the Club really enjoyed themselves getting the chance to put on the jersey and I look forward to seeing them continue to rip in.
“We hope to put into place a lot of the new structures and other things we’ve practiced during the Charity Shield game.
“It’s going to be really good to get an actual game and go set-for-set with Souths as we know it will be a test playing against them.
“While it is a trial match, there is still a lot of feeling in a game like the Charity Shield and both sides bring everything they can to the table.
“There’s a lot of young guys and new players alike at the Club who will be getting their first chance to take part in the game and I’m sure they’ll be excited and taking their chance to be part of the team for the new season.
“Another great thing about the Charity Shield is opportunity to raise money for some great organisations and give them some exposure.
“It is good to know that this is not only a pre-season game for the players but also our communities.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/02/10/rein_.html

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Segeyero is free foro 2017 throw everything you can and get him. He is the best No.9 and I hear he and Griffin do not get on.

If they can't get Segeyero then they should stick with Rein. Can't believe the let go of Damian Cook. Was he injured like Cameron King when Rein got the No.9 duties? How did Rein get picked ahead of Cook? In saying that Rein is not as bad as people say but does have that stupid error in him

V

Vasilevsky

If Segeyero is free foro 2017 throw everything you can and get him. He is the best No.9 and I hear he and Griffin do not get on.

If they can't get Segeyero then they should stick with Rein. Can't believe the let go of Damian Cook. Was he injured like Cameron King when Rein got the No.9 duties? How did Rein get picked ahead of Cook? In saying that Rein is not as bad as people say but does have that stupid error in him

Rein would be a really good hooker if he could pass consistently well out of dummy half. If he could do that and play 80min as effectively as he plays 60min, he would be right behind Smith and Farah.

Big D

Juniors
Havali is my first choice hooker at the moment. I would have rein on the bench and hopefully he can give a good 25 min. We have Widdop , we are getting Cronk, screw it lets get cam smith too. Lol I'm dreaming