What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce - Contract Situation

Apey

Staff member
I mean his rank relative to other's ratings is probably right but I certainly wouldn't give him anything above a 5. That goes doubly for Mann.

Spot On

Coach
For those who enjoy hometown media, today’s Herald had Barry Toohey’s player ratings for yesterday’s game.

Apparently, in Toohey’s judgement, Mitchell Pearce scored 6.5/10.

NRL.com rated him 4, and FoxSports 3.

Like many Knights supporters, he had the goggles on.

If he was on 350K maybe people could rate yesterday’s performance at 6.5/10. Maybe.

But when you need a 300+ game NRL playmaker on a million dollars to make the play, come up with decent kicks and decisions at vital times ... and doesn’t - then rating the quality of how the job description was carried out should be pretty low.

He should be braining it in games like yesterday. That’s why he was signed on the big dollars.

Somebody really got it wrong when they splashed all that cash looking at the return so far.

Old dog

Juniors
Taking those rating from Toohey they are quite relevant in so much that the only player with lesser ratings are Jones and Sue who played shortened minutes and Mann who was again ordinary to bad. I feel sorry for those rated the same or only just above Pearce they unlike Pearce were dudded.

As average as Pearce has been, can we really afford to lose him right now?

Our backup halves options are dire and moving Ponga to 5/8 means we need to rely on either ordinary or untested fullbacks

Old dog

Juniors
Tele reporting that Pearce won’t be released early unless a suitable replacement is found. So unlikely to happen for 2022 which gives time to to prepare, give Hodgson games in reserves to bring him along and start preparing the shuffle between 1, 6 & 7 for 2023.
It won’t be easy.

Jono078

Referee
Wowie... That's huge..

I mean it does secure a great financial end to his playing career but does it also say he doesn't have faith in what we can achieve next year?

His leadership will be missed, there's no doubt he has a presence in the team. But his athleticism and playing ability are on the decline. If he's to make the move I am glad it's right at the beginning of pre-season and it gives us a good chance to figure out how we move forward.

I don't mind Clune but I don't think he is the answer at 7.

Do we gamble on 1 Hodgson and 6 Ponga?

Or do we try and recruit another 7 to fill in?

Don't know if this is a popular thought but I wouldn't be against giving Ash Taylor a chance.

ryana87

Juniors
So assuming they already have budget for this "mid range up and coming 2nd row player"..... Would you spend Pearce's 600k and top that budget up to buy a rep level 2nd rower (like Angus Critchon quality) and gamble on the ponga/clifford combo.... or would you just spend it on another 600k quality half (can't think of any off the top of my head?... Doueihi?.. Fogharty?)

Wowie... That's huge..

I mean it does secure a great financial end to his playing career but does it also say he doesn't have faith in what we can achieve next year?

His leadership will be missed, there's no doubt he has a presence in the team. But his athleticism and playing ability are on the decline. If he's to make the move I am glad it's right at the beginning of pre-season and it gives us a good chance to figure out how we move forward.

I don't mind Clune but I don't think he is the answer at 7.

Do we gamble on 1 Hodgson and 6 Ponga?

Or do we try and recruit another 7 to fill in?

Don't know if this is a popular thought but I wouldn't be against giving Ash Taylor a chance.
Taylor is off to the Warriors

Old dog

Juniors
Could but a half if any available or f/b if Hodgson not quite ready but realistically it will all be a mess whichever way it goes unless we keep Pearce for the year giving us time to develop the others into relevant positions. No guarantees Hodgson will be ready at start, maybe half way through season, same for Ponga to 5/8. The least worry is Clifford to half but he has been really good at 5/8 so I would be reluctant to move him.
Obvious other moves could be Mann to f/b or Clune/Crossland to half.

Yosh

Coach
He was never going to take us to the promised land. Why not do him a favor and grant the release. He came when we were in the gutter and helped the club transition from the bottom to above mid table. I think letting him go is the least we can do to repay him for his services.

Pearce was injured a lot anyway as well. Cline might not be the answer but he would have played half the season anyway due to Pearce's injuries. Let's give ourselves more time to get in another good half or a striker back rower.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I can't see Clune or Crossland as starting 7. Let's just see who we replace Pearce with.

Either that or we really do see Ponga to 5/8 and Hodgson at FB. Which would be ballsy but exciting too.

macavity

Referee
If this had happened a month ago and we could have snapped up Fogarty, it would be good for all parties.

Now - no one is on the market.

Clune and Crossland certainly aren't the answer, and if this means Mann at 6 I will die inside.

600k to spend with no one on the market means nothing.

Who can Catalans offer in return?