What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

mxlegend99

Referee
What will you say if the Blues do win the series?

I don't think Pearce has been to bad in this series. It wasn't his fault we chocked and blew the game in Sydney.
If Pearce did his job as halfback we win. Its pretty simple.

If Blues win the series I will be happily surprised. But they cant win it with him on the field. We need 13 guys doing their jobs to beat QLD.

That means Pearce needs to create tries and manage the game. He hasnt done that at all this series.

King hit

Coach
If Pearce did his job as halfback we win. Its pretty simple.

If Blues win the series I will be happily surprised. But they cant win it with him on the field. We need 13 guys doing their jobs to beat QLD.

That means Pearce needs to create tries and manage the game. He hasnt done that at all this series.

He has scored 2 tries by always backing up his teammates. He was solid in Game 1 defensively and directed the team around well and was always organised on the last tackle. Other players created the tries we've scored in this series.

mxlegend99

Referee
He has scored 2 tries by always backing up his teammates. He was solid in Game 1 defensively and directed the team around well and was always organised on the last tackle. Other players created the tries we've scored in this series.
Pearce backed up for tries. But hasnt created one himself. He's not doing what a halfback should be doing. Considering this is supposed to be his team he hasnt done shit to lead it. Hes just a passenger.

The best period of both attack and defence for NSW this series came when Pearce was injured. We are better without him on the field. Not just a little better either.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No, Cronk isn't the greatest of all time, not even the greatest halfback.
What he is, is incredibly detailed and practiced. He works to a plan. Thurston on the other hand is an opportunist and plays a free flowing, unstructured game. Together, the two of them form an outstanding combination. Similar to how he works with Morgan - this is a major contributing factor in the Cowboys recent successful years.

Cherry-Evans is is a similar mould to Thurston, although not as talented. So when Cronk went off, the basic game structure went out the window. Also (my personal opinion) DCE tried to take over the prime playmaker role and denied Thurston the freedom to play his natural game.

So, QLD lost the series not just because Cronk was injured, but because DCE was the wrong fit for that side.
So Queensland with their plethora of great players can't adjust to the loss of one player.

Sounds reasonable

Danish

Referee
We won because Pearce wasn't in the team.

Cronk breaking his arm helped, but if we had Pearce he would never have come up with a match winning play. Hodkinson is shit, but he managed to do 2 things Pearce never will. Being the man to win a game and being part of a series win.

The QLD 2014 side of was still great. Inglis and Hodges in the centres, Boyd/Tate/Chambers on wings, Slater at fullback, Thurston in halves, younger and fitter Scott, Thaiday, Parker, Teo, Papali etc. in the pack.

We won in 2014 primarily because that is the only series in which Jarryd Hayne was picked at fullback for all 3 games.

You wouldn't think it possible, but Hayne only played 3 games across 2 previous series at fullback before 2014. So from 2009-2013, a period when Hayne was unquestionably the greatest fullback and player for NSW, the powers that be at blues HQ flat out refused to pick him in position.

The one series we get that right, we win.

Danish

Referee
Meanwhile NSW can adapt to the 'loss' of Pearce by actually scoring points and winning series.

NSW scored less points in the 2014 series than in any other series since the QLD dominance began in 2006, including this current series before game 3 has even been played

POPEYE

Coach
Lol. So qld lost that series because cronk wasn't there.

Well why are his mates who were there - smith, slater, Thurston - being touted as 'immortals'? Or blokes like GI, Boyd etc called greats? Surely if you're that good one player being injured doesn't mean you can't win.

Either cronk is the greatest player of all time, the other Queensland 'legends' can't function without him or imbeciles like pops don't know what they're talking about when they trot out this shit.

I'll go option 3.
Hang in there ol' mate, one day you'll recover from foot-in-mouth, just not today. Almost everyone, except you and your hangers-on, realised the 'Cronk broken arm' was 99% pisstake

The other 1% has it that in Game 1 2014 Qld led 4-0 after 5, Cronk breaks his arm, DCE comes on and it is said 'unsettles' the structure. NSW make it 10-4 at half time. Qld score the only try in the 2nd half . . . game goes 12-8 to NSW

Game 2 both teams were carrying injuries, game was a shemozzle, handling errors galore . . . game goes 6-4 NSW

Game 3 Cronk returns . . . Qld flog NSW 32-8. Qld has never lost a series when Cronk played every game. . . so far

You'll really have to do better AG, keep getting knocked over by a 69 year old soc is not a good look

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Your repetition of your nonsense just makes you look more foolish.

One player injured in a team full of champions causes them to lose a series. Ok.

As I posted, either this team of champions isn't good enough to compensate for the loss of one player, Cronk has been the difference between the two sides and therefore is greater than wally lewis, andrew johns and jesus f**king christ combined or 'socs' like you don't have a f**king clue.

Take your pick. Again, I'm going option 3.

Await your patented, predictable replies:
'I'm only fishing' or

'Too easy'.

POPEYE

Coach
Wanking over Pearce and how good Qld are is fine and dandy, as long as everyone remembers that most Origin games could've been won by either side. Rarely is the 'bounce of the ball', educated opportunism if you like, superceded by a flogging

POPEYE

Coach
Your repetition of your nonsense just makes you look more foolish.

One player injured in a team full of champions causes them to lose a series. Ok.

As I posted, either this team of champions isn't good enough to compensate for the loss of one player, Cronk has been the difference between the two sides and therefore is greater than wally lewis, andrew johns and jesus f**king christ combined or 'socs' like you don't have a f**king clue.

Take your pick. Again, I'm going option 3.

Await your patented, predictable replies:
'I'm only fishing' or

'Too easy'.
Crikey ol' mate . . . calm down, call a friend . . . you've got to stop stepping in it

mxlegend99

Referee
NSW scored less points in the 2014 series than in any other series since the QLD dominance began in 2006, including this current series before game 3 has even been played
Amazing how much easier it is to defend against Queensland when they don't have a 14 vs 12 advantage

Give it up. Pearce is a shit Origin player. He has proven that over a decade of games in varying circumstances. Throw in a series win without him as the nail in the coffin.

If youre still not convinced or think he has improved, look at the 30 minutes he missed for NSW this series and compare it to every minute he has played. Look at his try assists and linebreak assists behind a dominant forward pack with a superior backline.

Stats tell the story. Pearce is the worst Origin half in history. I mean the odds are he should have atleast fluked a series win by now.

If he gets dropped thats his only way to be part of a winning series.

mxlegend99

Referee
We won in 2014 primarily because that is the only series in which Jarryd Hayne was picked at fullback for all 3 games.

You wouldn't think it possible, but Hayne only played 3 games across 2 previous series at fullback before 2014. So from 2009-2013, a period when Hayne was unquestionably the greatest fullback and player for NSW, the powers that be at blues HQ flat out refused to pick him in position.

Yeah Hayne was great that series. But not having Pearce was more crucial. If you recall the match and series winning play came from the #7.

Theres not even a one in a billion chance Pearce does that. He either trips over or grubbers it straight to QLD.

JJ

Immortal
With Thurston gone, NSW are IMO break even or significantly better in every position except 7 and 9...

If they lose this series, it's an absolute joke

You are just as dumb here as you are on the Sookpen.

POPEYE

Coach
Qld losing Thurston should be all that NSW need if the game is as usual a tight encounter . . . only if NSW panic and think they have to do anything different than game 1 will they definitely flounder

JJ

Immortal
Qld losing Thurston should be all that NSW need if the game is as usual a tight encounter . . . only if NSW panic and think they have to do anything different than game 1 will they definitely flounder
How do they ensure Pearce only plays half the game?

Does Daley have the balls to hook him for Bird - or for that matter hook Hayne for Bird if things start to unravel a bit for him again?

As I said above, this should be a sweep - if NSW don't win the #7 and the coach should be struck out with permanent marker

Danish

Referee
Yeah Hayne was great that series. But not having Pearce was more crucial. If you recall the match and series winning play came from the #7.

Theres not even a one in a billion chance Pearce does that. He either trips over or grubbers it straight to QLD.

If you honestly think having Hayne at fullback for games 2 and 3 in 2013 wouldn't have meant NSW win that series - remember, we lost the decider based on an easy conversion miss by Maloney - then you are kidding yourself.

I've never claimed Pearce to be a great origin player, or even a very good one. He has simply been the best option the blues have had in the years he was selected.

cooko

Juniors
So let me get this straight:

If Pearce does his job, Hayne passes to Morris to go 20-6 up?

If Pearce does his job Graham doesn't strip the ball with 5 to go giving Qld a ride down field for Gagai to score?

Latest posts