What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

Snappy

Coach
MNF has been great. Was so good to watch a game after the first day back at work. I suspect the people that sook about it dont have fox

TIGER14

Bench
I don't mind MNF.
Mostly because I always forget it's on. Then when I remember on a Monday evening it's a nice surprise.
Good to watch from home but shithouse to attend.

In saying that though i would much prefer Monday Night Footy to Friday 6pm Footy.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't work Mondays and I often start later on Tuesday so I always liked Monday night footy. With mates who are cops or chefs or nurses and so on it was kind of like an extra weekend night.

Friday 6pm will suck IMO, I reckon a lot of fans will be wanting MNF back after a bit of that

Card Shark

Immortal
I liked the game when Easts beat Rabbitohs on the last play of the game. Big JWH scored with a couple of minutes to go to give the Roosters some hope, then in the next set Roosters spread it down the right side, Cordner kicks through, and Minichiello speeeeeeeeeeeeds through to gather the ball and scores the try, giving the Roosters a famous victory!

Just replayed that try on Matty Johns & the rabbits 1 against you later in the year.

Amazing games & both teams on the receiving end of miracle losses.

Jetka100

Juniors
I don't mind MNF. What I would like to see is Channel 9 give up the Thursday night game for a game on Saturday afternoon. It would give at least some free to air coverage on a Saturday and provide a family friendly time to take kids to the footy. In return, they can get rid of the Friday 6pm game and have one only game on Friday night starting at 7.30pm. Foxtel can then get the MNF game back and the occasional Thursday night game. Basically I would have:

Fri 730pm - Nine
Sat 2pm - Nine
Sat 4pm - Fox
Sat 6pm - Fox
Sat 8pm - Fox
Sun 2pm - Fox
Sun 4pm - Nine
Mon 730pm - Fox (occasionally Thurs 730pm)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I can understand them getting rid of Monday night but to replace it with a Friday night 6pm is plain ridiculous.

I don't mind MNF. What I would like to see is Channel 9 give up the Thursday night game for a game on Saturday afternoon. It would give at least some free to air coverage on a Saturday and provide a family friendly time to take kids to the footy. In return, they can get rid of the Friday 6pm game and have one only game on Friday night starting at 7.30pm. Foxtel can then get the MNF game back and the occasional Thursday night game. Basically I would have:

Fri 730pm - Nine
Sat 2pm - Nine
Sat 4pm - Fox
Sat 6pm - Fox
Sat 8pm - Fox
Sun 2pm - Fox
Sun 4pm - Nine
Mon 730pm - Fox (occasionally Thurs 730pm)

I like that. Have the occasional Monday and Thursday night. And 4 games on a Saturday wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Even put the occasional Sunday night match at 6.30 or 6pm.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With tonight's game between Parramatta and St George/Illawarra being the last Monday Night game before it is scrapped next year, what are your thoughts on this decision? What would you say have been some of the highlights and lowlights of Monday Night Football over the past 10 seasons, and what could've been improved?

Last until the next tv deal when Murdoch waves $20 in front of JGrant and Johnny bends and spreads

Again...

alien

Referee
I'm glad they are getting rid of Monday Night Football. I wish they would get rid of Thursday Night Football too. Both are crap for attendances.

They should have:

- 2 Friday night games at 7.30 PM (with Foxtel allowing you to choose which game you want to watch).
- 3 Saturday games.
- 3 Sunday games.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Didn't like MNF. Footy is weekend viewing and Monday nights just don't feel right. I don't like the 6pm Friday slot though. 6pm Sunday would have been much better. Three Sunday games, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, perfect way to ease back into the working week.

I didn't mind watching at home but hated going.

But I detest Thursday more.

Someone mentioned 1996. Roosters vs Broncos was awesome.

My favourite was the first. Rd 1 2007. We'd bought Vagana, Widders, Asotasi, Kidwell. Had Peachey. We won it. 24000 in crowd.

Those 2012 Souths vs Roosters were great. And that sharks game in 2015 in the rain.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I liked it. It always felt like a bonus game after the weekend. Either your weekend was to packed and you missed out on a few games so monday night helped get your footy fix, or you'd watch so much footy over the weekend that by sunday footy fatigue had set in, so you get to reset, go to work, get your week started and the BAM one more game of footy. It's probably the only time slot I'd watch everyweek no matter who's playing. Thursday night just doesn't do anything for me and i usually skip that game unless souths are in it. I know I'm being greedy because I'm a tv only viewer and understand that Monday isn't great for fans getting to the ground, but replacing it with Thursday and friday arvo games doesn't solve that problem. I think if Monday night was to work they need to evenly spread the games around the clubs. Also think the bulldogs hit onto something last year. They took a Monday night game to Belmore and turned the game into a big event, and not only was the crowd big but the atmosphere was great and i believe it was one of the highest rating games on fox last year. If they took those games to stadiums or areas that don't usually game, and turn it into an event ( 'Monday night from .....') then i believe they could of made it work

They should have utilised MNF for expansion regions.

Riffing on DiegoNT, staged events in Perth, Adelaide, NZ multiple, Rockhampton. Then played places like Geelong, Aurora in Tas, Wagga Wagga, Darwin.

taipan

Referee
MNF gone the way of the dodo.For crowds it was crapola.Clubs hated it.Not family friendly.

True dichotomy. It was a ratings bonanza for FOX but shocking for clubs and crowds. I think most die hards enjoyed watching MNF as a nice distraction after Monday at work but no one would go to the games and the clubs hated it.

They could have found a nice compromise by capping the number of MNF games per club and spreading them evenly through the competition. Too hard apparently. Lets make the Storm Sharks Raiders and Titans play 90% of Monday games.

grouch

First Grade
I liked it. It always felt like a bonus game after the weekend. Either your weekend was to packed and you missed out on a few games so monday night helped get your footy fix, or you'd watch so much footy over the weekend that by sunday footy fatigue had set in, so you get to reset, go to work, get your week started and the BAM one more game of footy. It's probably the only time slot I'd watch everyweek no matter who's playing.
I'm the same. Hardly ever miss a monday night game. Friday and saturday nights you quite often have things to do, go out etc. But Monday night you're pretty much always home on the couch. Loved it. I'll miss it

Valheru

Coach
It was nice to have footy to watch on a Monday night but it was disastrous for crowds and certainly had to go. Unfortunately it has been replaced with Friday 6PM which I can’t see being anything short of a disaster and the Thursday night game is proving just as bad.

I don’t ever want Monday night footy to be a weekly fixture again but I think it does have its place on the odd occasion, especially on public holidays and maybe for the first round of the season.

Danish

Referee
After 4 rounds of the horror that is 6pm Friday games you'll all be begging for Monday night footy to return.

Personally I would like Friday night, 3 Saturday games (3:30/5:30/7:30), and 4 Sunday games (12:00/2:00/4:00/7:00)