What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

Brutus

Referee
Highlight for mine was Jamal Idris swinging Nathan Gardner around by his underpants.

Jetka100

Juniors
I know the MNF games weren't great for spectator numbers but they weren't that much lower than a lot of other games at so called more friendlier time slots and the TV ratings were great. With the right venue and the right marketing they could actually improve the crowd side of things. Friday 6pm will be a dog of a slot for crowds and ratings and will make the later Friday game worse by starting it after 8pm. I would rather one 730pm game I can watch with my kids. MNF will come back.

Incorrect

Coach
Heard Jennings being interviewed after the game last night and he was asked about playing the last Monday night game and if he would miss it - He said he hated playing Monday nights... I get the feeling it's probably a widely held view by other players too...

Timbo

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what would everyone have preferred they replace MNF with?

I'd have gone for Sunday 6.30pm, but would that have been any better for crowds? Friday 6pm is very bad indeed for anywhere except inner-city grounds.

I Liked MNF when

* The Sharks weren't playing at home
* When the Raiders had a home game (I think I went to every raiders mnf game) because its a 10 minute bus ride from my work and I used to get in for free.
* it was footy on on a Monday night.

I didn't when

* The Sharks had a home game on MNF.
means I cant go, without taking two days off essentially. I went to one MNF game at shark park. 2011 round two in the rain and we beat St George. No Mondays means I can go to more games as either the games will be on the Friday, Saturday or sunday. essentially means at worst I have to work half a day and drive. no MNF could see me getting an actual season ticket.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah no fan of the 2 Friday games, still prefer to MNF.

I would have gone 6:30 sunday.

forward pass

Coach
I'm glad they are getting rid of Monday Night Football. I wish they would get rid of Thursday Night Football too. Both are crap for attendances.

Who cares about attendances? MNF was only ever about TV content not crowd attendance. Seems strange - and makes for poor atmosphere and as a result poorer games - but viewership and ratings was all it was ever about.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Could we expect to see the Warriors as the new Friday night Broncos considering they're 2 hours ahead of us?

Jetka100

Juniors
They should just ensure that each team only has to host only one MNF game a season and let them market the hell out of it or even let them take it to a regional venue. Restrict it to only 16 rounds of the year.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
i dislike it as i remember one time i came home from a god awful game broncos vs tigers where the tigers couldn't kick one from 10m out in front and it was torrential rain, horrid stuff,

anyway my oscar had been consumed by my wifes and all that was left was a tail being tossed around by the filter currents. :(

yobbo84

First Grade
The two MNF games between Souths and the Roosters in 2012 is something that I can't see happening again.

The biggest rivarly in the NRL, and the Roosters come out and win the first one with 2 tries in the final 3 minutes to snatch it out of nowhere. Cue the misery.

Then, in the return game, Souths down by 10 with less than 2 mins remaining, and Merritt scores. You could sense the crowd thinking, "surely not"? Then the miracle, length-of-the-field try to return the favour.

I haven't had a more "agony to ecstasy" moment at the football and I doubt I ever will. Even the GF was a slow build to a victory - this was 2 minutes out of nowhere. Unbelievable. I was right where the players ran to after the try. It was insane.

I'll miss MNF.

Valheru

Coach
The two MNF games between Souths and the Roosters in 2012 is something that I can't see happening again.

The biggest rivarly in the NRL, and the Roosters come out and win the first one with 2 tries in the final 3 minutes to snatch it out of nowhere. Cue the misery.

Then, in the return game, Souths down by 10 with less than 2 mins remaining, and Merritt scores. You could sense the crowd thinking, "surely not"? Then the miracle, length-of-the-field try to return the favour.

I haven't had a more "agony to ecstasy" moment at the football and I doubt I ever will. Even the GF was a slow build to a victory - this was 2 minutes out of nowhere. Unbelievable. I was right where the players ran to after the try. It was insane.

I'll miss MNF.

Can you believe the imbeciles at Triple M voted the roosters win the 8th best moment of MNF and the souths win as the 1st best? I don't want to get in a roosters/souths pissing contest but they were essentially the same thing and as good comebacks as each other.

Marlins

Juniors
Thursday 7:15 Fox
Friday 7:45 Nine/Fox
Saturday 3:30, 5:30 Fox 7:30 Nine/Fox
Sunday 2:00 Fox 4:00 Nine/Fox 6:00 Fox

Incorrect

Coach
Can you believe the imbeciles at Triple M voted the roosters win the 8th best moment of MNF and the souths win as the 1st best? I don't want to get in a roosters/souths pissing contest but they were essentially the same thing and as good comebacks as each other.

They could almost be classed as 1 entity, kind of like you can't pick one without the other....

Hawkins

Juniors
It was clashing with WWE PPV's on the network.

And they do one every two weeks it feels like so it will be nice to have more free time to sit down and watch TV

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think the fact that souths scored 2 tries after the 78th minute makes it a little bit more special

Sleep

Juniors
MNF is heaven compared to this 6pm Friday bullshit or late kick-offs Thurs night.

I don't see the 6PM Friday game lasting more than a season before being moved. It's an awful idea. Thursdays quarter to nine start is trash too. I don't get why they're so against playing games in the same timeslots.