What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More bad news..

Vicious

Bench
Just got back to the hotel. Not happy with the result tonight. Worst still was the starting side tonight, sometimes Sheens simply astounds me.

Never been a big fan of Moltzen at fullback, and he had Meaney on the bench, would have much preferred Meaney at 1 and Moltzen at 7 and then had the chance to call on Miller later.

Payten has not started all year, tonight he did but I would have preferred Fifita to start the game.

I know the modern game has changed by why is it that poor Ayshford has to keep changing. He has built up a pretty good combination with Utai on the right but tonight it was Brown who played right centre.

Flanagan, is he really better than Jason Shirnack?

From what I saw tonight, I would leave Miller at 7 until Lui comes back. Then it's back to the 20's.
Dwyer - 1 very good game does not mean that you are safe for the year, he was as ordinary tonight as he was prior to last week.

I thought Dwyer was one of our best.
Unfortunately Todd Payten is really struggling. Not just the bad play the balls towards the end, but his hit ups are very ineffective.

Juniors
More Bad news for Wests Tigers, youngest Alan Schirnack injured his ACL joint in the match and I'd expect to be out for a while.

Also on Jake Mullaney, I would be like Brett Hodgson, We never should of let him go. Haven't seen anything from Mullaney in a while. Tim Sheens needs to fire a rocket up them after the Titans "stole" a victory from us, although we dropped off after 15 minutes.

Someone should fire a rocket up Sheens for his bench selection and game plan. It's not Benjis nature to constantly kick to the sideline, that must if been part of his half time address, hold the ball (failed) wind down the clock (failed) keep them in their own half (failed) defend a very small lead (failed) win the game (failed)

Looked like his new conservative style that we used against the Dogs in Rd 1, it did not work than, did not work tonight and never will.

Last weeks game plan was brilliant, why wouldn't u use something similar against a team whos foreardst had made the second most metros thus far this year. I pray it was just poor execution but I didn't look like it.

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I thought Dwyer was one of our best.
Unfortunately Todd Payten is really struggling. Not just the bad play the balls towards the end, but his hit ups are very ineffective.

Hi Vicious, hope you were watching Moltzen at fullback tonight. :sarcasm:

Vicious

Bench
Hi Vicious, hope you were watching Moltzen at fullback tonight. :sarcasm:

YES, very disappointing to say the least. I know he`s always struggled at fullback, but I thought the fact that fullback is the only position he will be able to establish himself as a regular in the Wests Tigers side would have driven him to overcome his weaknesses in the position, but after last night it appears not.
Not forgetting that he spent quite a bit of time playing fullback in the u/20`s and had some very good games at fullback, I`m at a loss to explain why he`s not bringing that to NRL level?

Moltzen is a very classy halve, but with Marshall & Lui i`m not sure where it leaves Moltzen`s future with the club if he can`t establish himself as a class fullback?

What gets me is that I`m sure a player of Moltzen`s talent is good under the high ball when applying himself, but he seemed scared to go anywhere near the high ball last night.
I still don`t go by the theory that Moltzen is faint hearted, I can assure you I`m the first to jump on any footballer that is faint hearted, I`ve seen plenty that are, but I still don`t believe Moltzen falls into this category. I believe it`s more the fact that he`s more worried about making mistakes than being timid.

I also realise he`s not going real well defensively at fullback, but again he`s proven in the past that he is capable of coming up with some very good defensive plays from the fullback position, I believe this is a mind over matter thing coming back from his long term injury.

I know he`s also been critisized for his lack of penetration when running the football from kick returns. This is also a valid point, but I don`t think he could really be blamed in this area last night as we were always on the back foot (due to lack of genuine go forward).

In summary I can certainly understand the criticism of Moltzen playing fullback and I admit we may have even won last night game with Wade McKinnon fit and playing fullback for us, Wade is a very experienced and safe fullback, BUT at this stage of his career is he capable of coming up with the big plays in the big games against the best defencive outfits?

I know of a fullback who is a brilliant runner of the ball, good under the high ball, prepared to put his body on the line and has his fair share of ball skills AND HE CANNOT crack first grade at his current club - Tom Humble from the Eels.
I mention this as not only is Tom Humble off contract at the end of season, but forward thinking would it be an idea to offer the Eels who are crying out for some classy halves a straight swap Tim Moltzen for Tom Humble ???
In my opinion this would benefit both clubs and benefit both young players careers!

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I still think Moltzen is a good half back even if he plays like a cat at fullback. I think Miller will end up being much better but with the amount of injuries we have we don't have the luxury of being able to play Miller just yet. Benji and Robbie seem to play better imo with Moltzen so leave him there and maybe put miller on the bench. I can't figure out why we bought Meaney if we aren't going to ever play him. Give Wade a few weeks to get the hammy right and see how he goes. He can't be any worse and who knows we might win a few games as well.

Tell me why we signed Shines to another contract :roll:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look everyone knew Moltzen was never going to be good at fullback. Yet Sheens persists with it.

Meaney should have been fullback from kick off. It's what he does, its his natural position.

Miller should have been on the bench with Moors, not f**king Flanagan.

Payten is obviously injured and his constantly being named is essentially seeing us play with 16 and a half players against 17.

Tigerm

First Grade
I still think Moltzen is a good half back even if he plays like a cat at fullback. I think Miller will end up being much better but with the amount of injuries we have we don't have the luxury of being able to play Miller just yet. Benji and Robbie seem to play better imo with Moltzen so leave him there and maybe put miller on the bench. I can't figure out why we bought Meaney if we aren't going to ever play him. Give Wade a few weeks to get the hammy right and see how he goes. He can't be any worse and who knows we might win a few games as well.

Tell me why we signed Shines to another contract :roll:
I don't think Sheens has been signed up yet? Though it will happen.
I think the fact they did not play Moltzen at halfback may indicate that he is only keeping the spot warm for Lui?? But putting Miller there was always going to be iffy. I guess with the injury list, we always knew it would be a hard slog. Just got to stay in touch with the lead group & I still think we will be a chance come finals time, with a full crew.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Because Head was allegedly a hopeless drunk with a massive gambling habbit which he could not control and it had started to have a negative influence on younger players in the system at that time.

I am all for criticism of Sheens but you are barking up the wrong tree with Head

Well f**k me.!!...A footballer who is a bad drunk and doesn't mind a punt. What a rarity! Was he breaking any laws? Todd Carney is a drunk and breaks the law every weekend. It's all about what you do on field .. Matty Head was our best for all those few weeks he was allowed to play. Softc#%ck coach.

Fordy20

Juniors
Agreed. Head was the buy of the season and he languished on the sidelines because he liked a punt and drink? That's just bullsh*t. That's no excuse for wasting his talent and there was no telling how far into the finals we would have made it with a genuine halfback in the side.

I'm as tired as anyone of seeing Moltzen at halfback. Positioning for kicks, diffusing bombs and goal line defence are a fullback's bread and butter and Moltzen is rubbish at all of it. He has all the abilities needed in attack, but his defence is woeful. Give me Brown or Meaney any day. It's just as frustrating seeing these blokes getting f**ked around to keep Moltzen out of the halves as it was when it happened to Shannon Gallant.