What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More info on Morly

Grantwhy

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8414649-23214,00.html

England may ban Morley
By Pete Rowe and Ray Chesterton
January 17, 2004

THE English Rugby League is threatening to slap a six-month worldwide ban on the Sydney Roosters' British hitman Adrian Morley following his serious drink-driving offence in the UK.

Morley, who returned to pre-season training with the Roosters only two weeks ago because of the court case, is expected to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute by the English RFL next week.

Officials at the English league's headquarters in Leeds are furious that his actions caused immense embarrassment to the Great Britain team sponsor Think-Don't Drive - the British government version of the Arrive Alive drink-driving campaign here in Australia.

It has also emerged that the giant second-rower was banned from driving for three years - not the six months as previously reported - because it was his second offence.

Morley was convicted of the same offence two years ago and banned then for one year.

This time, on December 13 last year, he was stopped for driving erratically in the Manchester suburb of Salford late at night.

Police say the Great Britain league hardman tried to leave the scene of the incident and ran through a nearby field before being tackled by two law enforcement officers.

His charge sheet mentions that he "attempted to evade arrest". He also initially gave a false name - Tommy Smith - when asked for it by one of the policemen.

Unluckily for Morley, one of the police officers recognised him and asked why it was different to the one published in the match program for the Great Britain v Australia third Ashes Test the previous week.

Morley, 26, was given a $5000 fine on top of the three-year ban and ordered not to leave the country until he had served a 40-hours community service order - the reason for his delayed arrival back in Sydney.

Morley's blood/alcohol level was more than twice the UK limit of 25 at 83 units of alcohol.

English rugby league spokesman John Huxley said the incident had been fully investigated.

"The RFL takes a very poor view of any actions of this sort by a contracted international player," he told The Daily Telegraph from Leeds.

"We have been in contact with the Roosters to inform them that a charge could be brought next week - and the maximum penalty could be a six-month ban from the game.

"That would mean a worldwide ban," he added.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis was last night dismissive of the proposed new charges against Morley by the English Rugby League.

"If Morley is banned from playing in Sydney then they had better get ready to ban a few more," Politis said.

"I can think of 10 people who have been in similar situations, including some CEOs."

Deputy chairman of the International Board, Maurice Lindsay, who is in Sydney for the Sevens, said he was stunned by the English RFL's move.

"I'll sit back and look at what is happening when there is more information available," he said.

The Daily Telegraph

"I'll sit back and look at what is happening when there is more information available," he said.

Me too.

As far as I'm concerned Morely is a bloody idiot for what he has done, and it would seem that he has been heavily fined, disqualified and humiliated.

If Morley is banned for any amount of time as a result of all of this, then this must set a precedent for all other Players, CEO's and associates of League to face similar punishment, in drink/drug driving circumstances.

Zef

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
He also initially gave a false name - Tommy Smith - when asked for it by one of the policemen.

Unluckily for Morley, one of the police officers recognised him and asked why it was different to the one published in the match program for the Great Britain v Australia third Ashes Test the previous week.

Cops - They've got the best sense of humour.

I remember when I was young one of my mates crashed a car, p.ssed on his L's and left the scene. Next morning we all went back and the cops were there already. When they asked who's car it was my mate said it was his and when the cop asked him his name my mate stammered .....

".....err Grant (his real name)..... err.....Grant Smith."

To which the cop replied:

"Sure it is.... I meet your brother John - every day."

The fact that we all just cracked up probably didn't help my mates cause too much - he got 2 yrs disq.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Zef said:
I remember when I was young...

Last week, last month? ;-)

As stated before, Morley is an idiot for getting behind the wheel after drinking and I can understand the RFL being a might embarrassed by the situation with the "Think" sponsorship of the GB Team but to ban him from the NRL is ludicrous.

I asked this question in the initial Morley thread but no one seemed willing or able to answer it... The players all signed contracts regarding the "Think" sponsorship - from memory agreeing to not drink and drive - there was a clause of some sort in the contract if they were caught, does anyone know what it was?

No idea at all BP, first I heard of it was when the story was first reported.

I don't agree with the banning here either, however, if it does go ahead, then this will leave it open for any person of any profession to lose there job for 6 months as well. Shit, the drug cheats got about the same penalty didn't they?

The Backpacker

Juniors
22 games suspension which equates to....(abacus rapidly rolling)... just under 6 months? Recreational drug users get a ban too and this is where the area becomes grey though Pen. Rec drugs - illegal, hence the ban (I'm guessing ;-) ) Drink driving - illegal so... However, so's assault whether it be your wife / partner some sod in a bar... and these have always gone unpunished as have speeding, other driving offences etc so lets keep it in perspective.

Well that's what opens a Pandora's Box BP. If Morley is banned in addition to the legal repercusions then other players misnomenors and court appearences will have to be taken into account as well.

It's quite frightening really when we think about the consequenses of all of this.

Underdog

Juniors
Good footballer but a bloody idiot!

As far as I'm concerned I think he is lucky to be able to come back into Australia let alone play in the NRL. (and I do love to watch him at this best)

I know my view won't be popular but he has proven he is serial drink driver - he should have his visa application assessed like anyone else applying that has a serious criminal record.

As for those that will say there are plenty of NRL players with simialr histories.....all I can say is I wish I could send them packing as well.

Once Dead

Bench
Penelope Pittstop said:
Well that's what opens a Pandora's Box BP. If Morley is banned in addition to the legal repercusions then other players misnomenors and court appearences will have to be taken into account as well.

It's quite frightening really when we think about the consequenses of all of this

We say the same thing about the salary cap issue......to be brutally honest

Then again, the Brits are reknowned for making up crap and parading it all over the town through the news media......i'd take this with about 10kgs of salt....its like all their Oxford University studies about the connection between hating pidgeons and loving chicken......stupid, pointless and just a bunch of crap

The Backpacker

Juniors
Pandora's box is right. Look, we all know my families stance on recreational drug use (thanks to the daughter :roll: ) and that we believe that what players do in their down time is their business although they must know that some things will, inevitively, reach the media but banning players for six months for these types of things is opening the doors for all kinds of scrutiny to be placed on them. The fact that it's not Morley's current employers doing it is what gets me. I don't see how the RFL can have him banned in the NRL when it is the Roosters that pay his salary. If they want to bann him from international football for whatever length of time, then so be it but theres a few others sitting in the GB team that are guilty of the same offence as well those playing under their noses in Super League.

BP, you may remember I did a 7's article called Sex, Drugs and Rugby League last year. Quite frankly, there were many incidents in RL that I didn't include because of libel laws etc. Some Players have committed very serious offences, ranging from assault, indecent exposure to drug dealing and not once has a Player been banned from the NRL for off-field behaviour of this type.

There isn't alot anyone can do if Morley is banned. If it does end up being the case, they are going to have to be consistant with it.

In many instances of drink-driving the offender is allowed a day permit to drive for work purposes. I'm not sure of the laws in England, but do you lose your job as well if you drink drive?

Kaz

junior
He was NOT representing Great Britain at the time.

Next we will read the ARL are banning Blues players for not drinking the sponsors products of Tooheys. QLD officials banning players for not drinkingg XXXX.

Can you imagine if the NRL/ARL did this about banning players who get into trouble because causing problems with having to much alcohol.

There would be teams with about 5 players available. :?

The Backpacker

Juniors
Underdog said:
Penelope Pittstop said:
I'm not sure of the laws in England, but do you lose your job as well if you drink drive?

People do.... that's supposed to be part of the deterant!

Yes, some do - those that drive for a living aren't always issued a work permit, therefore can't participate in their normal employment. I think, what we're saying here, is this could very well be a nasty precedence set. Deterrants are wonderful things but, in the grander scheme of things, how often do they effectively work? I can't see player x suddenly deciding not to dong his misses in a rage because theres a possibility he might get a six month ban or player y deciding not to drive home after a few because of the same thing or player z turning down a recreational drug that is passed through the system quickly etc etc. Human's are the sort of creatures that (often) do first, suffer the consequences later.

yakstorm

First Grade
Just to clarify some of the stuff in this post:

- The Think! Contract that all Great Britain and Ireland players sign allows them to be trialled by the RFL or RLIF discipline board for the charge of 'bringing the game into disrepute' if they are found drink driving during their time of being under the employment of the Rugby Football League.

- Morley was a paid employee of the Rugby Football League from the 7th October, and that employment was scheduled to last till the start of Janurary. He was doing more than just playing for the Lions, but was also going to be used for a number of promotions by the RFL.

- It was cause Morley at the time was an employee of the RFL, that he can recieve such a heafty punishment. As Penelope Pittstop said, there are many players who have done worse, but their employees (ie the clubs at the time) deemed it was not neccessary to make it a big thing in the public light. The NRL as it doesn't employee the players could only punish it, if it had some connection to the football field.

- And just to add to the end of this, the RFL are quickly trying to patch over relations with the Department of Transport and their 'ThinK! Don't Drink Drive' campaign, cause they stand to lose the very lucartive sponsorship if they don't act appropiately on the issue.

The Backpacker

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Just to clarify some of the stuff in this post:

- The Think! Contract that all Great Britain and Ireland players sign allows them to be trialled by the RFL or RLIF discipline board for the charge of 'bringing the game into disrepute' if they are found drink driving during their time of being under the employment of the Rugby Football League.

Thanks for answering that.

Thankyou for the information Yakstorm.

I guess it remains to be seen if the RLF decide to go for the maximum of 6 months. Also, if the Roosters as his NRL employer have any say in the matter.

Fibroman

First Grade
Fibro disagrees with all of you. If a player does something stupid in their own time, it should be kept totally separate to rugby league. What Morley did was stupid, but how the hell does that bring ' the game' into disrepute. He embarasses himself and his family, but rugby league is still the same great game it always has been no matter what the players do in their own time. It would be a different story if a player turned up to a game while he was still half stung, and had a big technicolour yawn out on the field or something like that. That would bring the game into disrepute, but things that occur off the field and away from the game have nothing to do with the game itself. Give the bloke a break. What the Court gives him should be sufficient, and there should be no penality imposed by the Rugby League.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Read them again Fibro. I think you may find theres agreement in more than one post. Some are just being polite as we know how quickly these things denigrate into crap. ;-)

FM, the problem is that we have publications like the Telucrap, that thrive on this type of journalism.

We do have to be careful about what we say on forums like this because of libel laws.