More Sydney clubs will merge within the next decade - Gould

Discussion in 'NRL' started by I Bleed Maroon, May 11, 2020.

1. Fangs

Fangs Bench

I wouldn't mind booting South Sydney as well. Shouldn't have been re-admitted in the first place and it would be a massive win for the game.

firechild, Matiunz and Valheru like this.
  2. taipan

taipan Referee

You melad have reinforced my point, about merged and flicked teams' supporters, not following other clubs ,but taking only a casual interest. Gets back to tribalism.

Reflector likes this.
  3. taipan

taipan Referee

"Cronulla fans won't mind" LOl. No local derbies, no local hate that has developed since 1967. We'll all take up skin diving.

4. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

Good ideas.. I can definitely see some variation of the 1940s wartime Roosters jersey (light blue, red & white V) for a Sharks/Roosters jersey.. or a Navy/Maroon/White Roosters/Sea Eagles jersey.

As for the Eels/Bulldogs, well.. we already had a glimpse of what *that* could look like...

[​IMG]

MugaB likes this.
  5. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

The strange thing about all this is that Gus didn't even mention clubs merging in his podcast, although he did predict when the comp shut down that the club landscape wouldn't be the same going forward. He's wrong a lot old Gussy, I wouldn't worry too much.

6. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

They'll want us to play at the flash new stadium then. f**k that. Pity you can't rip up a stadium by the roots and move it.

Fangs likes this.
  7. st george dragons

st george dragons Juniors

Aint going to happen anytime soon. But if it was to happen:
    - Canterbury to merge with Manly
    - Bankstown to merge with Warringah
    - St George Illawarra with Wests Tigers to be named St George Balmain Western Suburbs Illawarra Dragon-Magpie Steel Tiger, to play at Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah, Wollongong and train at Concord.
    - Cronulla with Roosters
    - Penrith with Parramatta
    - Kick Souths and Manly out

Simple

magpie_man and This Year? like this.
  8. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

Wearing a big red V on an orange/black/white striped jersey, with a logo featuring St George slaying an robotic steel dragon with a tiger-head and magpie wings.

Cool.

9. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII First Grade

Forget Adelaide, put a NSW Cup team there. No interest. Can have a team in 20 or 30 years if need be.

10. Fangs

Fangs Bench

All this talk about merging and no talk about a team in Tasmania. Its a winner and we need to make a move on it immediately.

The Tasmanian Tigers. Perfect name after the Tigers are booted from the comp. Other Tasmanian Devils but its not as good I think.

11. Valheru

Valheru Coach

Completely agree.

No need for a name change. I don't see any fans we are able to attract in North Sydney having an issue with our current "Sydney" name.

12. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

They almost did. Back during the end of the Super League war.

I actually spoke with Denis Fitzgerald back ‘04 when he was the CEO at Parra and I remember asking him the question about whether or not the rumour was true that Penrith & Parra were considering a merge. He said that indeed it was and it was pretty much rubber stamped but when word got out that it was Souths that was in trouble, and that Balmain would merge with Wests, both clubs figured they would be safe so talks ended.

I couldn’t believe it when he said this but he said that he agreed for the potential merger to be known as the Penrith-Paramatta Panthers!

13. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

The threepees. Roger Cowan was all for it too, as it would have saved Panthers a motza without losing the name.

Westernised Panther likes this.
  14. unforgiven

unforgiven Bench

Fitzgerald was really trying to get rid of the eels branding by the sounds of it, same reason he wanted the Tigers merger was to pick up the mascot.

15. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

Austin and Sivo?

Jennings and Lewis.

16. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

I think the term every one is looking for is joint venture.

Make it sound classy and professional.

17. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Yeah Wade Graham too, but these were all the best part of a decade ago.

18. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

Wade joined Cronulla in 2011, same year Gus became Panthers GM so I excluded him.

If it was under his reign it doesn't matter how long ago it was.

19. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Yep Wade signed towards the end of 2010, it seems Elliott didn't rate him. Don't know why, everyone else did.

I forgot this was about Gus. Lewis and Jennings were quality. Gus always admired Lewis and brought him into the Origin squad as a development player, the first ever, back in '03. But Luke wanted to move on. Losing the captaincy didn't sit well. It's never really been explained why that happened, but there was considerable player pushback at the back end of Petero's time and Luke seemed to be mixed up in that. Jennings also wasn't giving of his best with us, he was a lazy so and so but got a new lease of life in a new environment.

20. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Yeah pretty weird, wanting to go from the very unique Eels to the Tigers which is probably the least unique name is sports. Fitzs lost his marbles.