What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morley's penalty

Mr Saab

Referee
If thats how it is Colonel then it will be a fun week in the media with whinging left right and centre. I expect Mr Politis to have his 10 cents worth too.

DJ1

Juniors
taxidriver said:
dj1,

if you still have the footage, did Morley leave the ground ?

In the pic it looks as if he has.

Yep. Left the ground in the process of the hit.

Clearly intentional but nothing more than a good intentional hit.

This new rule is stupid.

I'd love to see him go for weeks, its the weakest Roosters forward pack in years and this will f**k em even more. I love it.

Danish

Referee
The Colonel said:
He'll get two weeks though the loading he has sitting next to his name will see him back in about week 14 or 15.

I know your joking....... but Morley's loading is not too bad.

1 x 50% similiar charge in 04

1 x 20% non-similiar charge in 05.

Compared to someone like Woolford or Wiki he's a saint.

A grade 1 reckless sees him gone for 3 weeks;

300 point base. Early plea sees that down to 225
Loading 225 * 0.7 = 158 less 25% for early plea = 119

Thats 3 weeks and 44 carryover points. A Grade 2 reckless will see that increased to 4 weeks.

Sorry fellas but it looks like Morley wont be out for as long as some of you would like.

DJ1

Juniors
He shouldn't go at all.

It was a friggin shoulder charge, not a swinging arm or elbow.

Glenn

First Grade
If it was a shoulder charge to the Chest no problems, but with the New rules (rightly or wrongly) anything will penalised either on field or a appearance on the NRL Charge sheet ..probably looking at 3-4 weeks IMHO

Edwahu

Bench
Danish said:

Thats 3 weeks and 44 carryover points. A Grade 2 reckless will see that increased to 4 weeks.

Sorry fellas but it looks like Morley wont be out for as long as some of you would like.

Are you sure he only has 2 charges? I could swear he has 5 or 6. How many years do previous charges count for?

The Colonel

Immortal
Danish said:

You think so?

His no suspension knee lift saw him get three weeks last season.

The Colonel

Immortal
DJ1 said:
He shouldn't go at all.

It was a friggin shoulder charge, not a swinging arm or elbow.

Rules have changed DJ1 - contact was made with the head and he will have a case to answer. Putting your arm behind your back doesn't make it a shoulder charge.

innsaneink

Referee
DJ1 said:
Stupid rule.

This is Rugby League

Mmmm...rugby league, not boxing...contact with the head as in Morleys case is not necessarry.

He had the opportunity to tackle Walker conventionally and be just as effective, yet he chose the high risk option = intent.

rabs

Staff member
it was totally careless and indicative of how he plays, a man that size with no control over what he does could eventually kill someone

Woods99

Juniors
rabs said:
it was totally careless and indicative of how he plays, a man that size with no control over what he does could eventually kill someone

It is almost inevitable that a player will be maimed for life or even killed by an attack to the head. Spear tackles were outlawed after a player was seriously injured. IMHO shoulder charges are in the same boat.

Bumble

First Grade
That decision played a big part, but only turned the game by 12 points...we lost by 18.

We didn't deserve to win on that 2nd half performance.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bumble said:
That decision played a big part, but only turned the game by 12 points...we lost by 18.

We didn't deserve to win on that 2nd half performance.

it played a major part in the game. Ben Walker your playmaker was seeing visions of pink elephants.
That tackle was a major turning point.

Danish

Referee
Edwahu said:
Are you sure he only has 2 charges? I could swear he has 5 or 6. How many years do previous charges count for?

Its a 24 month period. He has only been charged twice in that time. Been put on report about 8 times though.....

Thats exactly why Morley is a target for refs. Everyone assumes he has been pinged 3 times a season. When in reality he isnt suspended that often

The Colonel said:
You think so?

His no suspension knee lift saw him get three weeks last season.

Thats just simple maths pulled straight from the NRL's website using all the info they give on how the system works.

If he gets a Grade 1 striking and its more weeks than that i'd like to know how they came to that amount...

His knee lift he got the full term because he tried to fight it and lost. So no reduction for an early plea. Also any loading from the 03 season will now have dropped off and he may have been pinged a couple times then. The loading system can really f**k a person over.

nqboy

First Grade
Chook said:
I agree that no attacking the head, but FFS there has to be intent,
Intent is not an element of "careless" or "reckless".

How many players go out with the intent of attacking the head? Not many.

So why do so many get hit in the head? Because the tacklers are carelessor reckless.

Steel Dragon

Bench
To me it looks like Morley was trying to make a normal tackle and the whole thing was an accident.

If you notice where Morley's arms are it looks like he is trying to wrap Walker up (albeit with a whole lotta force behind it) and Walker got his head in the wrong place.

I wonder If it was someone other than Morley would everyone still be pleading for the death penalties that they are...