What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moronic Union*tes

Loudstrat

Coach
ahahah yes that one victory proves we didn't need the Americans (hint we did)

Also you might want to open up a history book because there was an American company involved in the final Australian victory and the lead general of the Australian forces was an American. You are aware that John Curtin made Douglas Macarthur the head of the Australian armed forces in like 1942 (Who was last I checked an American) and they had entered the PNG campaign in early 1942.

American involvement in world war 2 in the pacific campaign was more important than American involvement in world war 2 in the Western campaign (even though it was still crucial) this is because the Eastern Campaign had damaged Germany so much it was pretty much finished regardless.

EDIT

If it wasn't for the channel Hitler would have probably rolled over England pretty easy at the start of the war. France cops a lot of flak for world war 2 but as was shown in the Eastern campaign the Germans could lose a lot of life. England was in deep trouble without a body of water separating them from the Germans at the start of world war 2. They were also kept a float by FDR and his push to help the allies even with his own congress being against it.

The facts are that Germany lost most of her men fighting the USSR. They managed to kill 10 million Russians more or less during that campaign and lost 5 million. They would have just rolled over England. The USSR had an obscene amount of people to draw an army from, something like a population three times larger than Englands.

And could you imagine if Australia was somehow in Europe connected by land to Germany lol. Giving France a hard time for Germany rolling them is historically ignorant. Germany would have rolled any country in the world it was connected to, besides the USSR (obviously) and the USA.

Blamey was head of the Australian forces at Kokoda, not Macarthur. The Yanks didn't enter the campaign until Milne Bay - the last push of the Japs back into the Pacific. I'm not saying the Yanks weere not crucial to Pacific Victory, just responding to some numbnuts Frog who refuses to listen to English speakers, despite English speakers saving his country TWICE in the last century.

Girondin said:
As French supporters are not sectarian (unlike others...), there is scope for both codes and I for one hope we will be a powerhouse in both one day.

Me too. Problem is, it's usually been League under attack from Union. The last Aussie-French test had to be rescheduled to a smaller ground, because the French Union booked the bigger stadium, and did nothing with it. Did so just to confine League to a smaller ground.

Then Toloun sign a contracted player - an illegal act under contract law.

But, of course no Aussie league fan should be pissed off!

Yngwie_70

Juniors
strong potential in france?

please all RL is doing now is taking back what was stolen by the vichies and their allies in the FFR.

france has shown in the past when given a choice between league and union, league wins.

so it will be again.
Sorry but I have to show the stats : "In 2002, it was estimated that rugby league had around 10,000 regular players in France, compared to around 215,000 for rugby union. The game struggles for attention in the national media, but it is covered by local outlets in the south. However the introduction of Catalans Dragons into Super League has seen substantial with articles appearing in national newspapers such as L'Équipe, Libération and Le Figaro during 2006." SOurce : Wikipedia. It is not doing as well as you might think.

Girondin

Juniors
strong potential in france?

please all RL is doing now is taking back what was stolen by the vichies and their allies in the FFR.

so it will be again.
I can't believe you're still bogged down in that Vichy thing. League got over it as soon as the war was over. Let me remind you the golden age of French RL was the 50s.
france has shown in the past when given a choice between league and union, league wins.
It's simply not true. From the 60s on, RL started shooting itself in the foot. They realized they had neglected the grass-roots (often preferring to sign union players). Quality dropped, meanwhile quality in union became pretty good.

Few French people have a pre-conceived idea about RL/RU. They just watch the best product available to them. Until the 60s it was RL, then it was RU. You could argue this has changed again, but League now needs to make up for a lot of lost time - with only themselves to blame.

Last edited:

Girondin

Juniors
Sorry but I have to show the stats : "In 2002, it was estimated that rugby league had around 10,000 regular players in France, compared to around 215,000 for rugby union.
The figure is actually 300,000 for union now (huge WC boost).

Girondin

Juniors
Me too. Problem is, it's usually been League under attack from Union. The last Aussie-French test had to be rescheduled to a smaller ground, because the French Union booked the bigger stadium, and did nothing with it. Did so just to confine League to a smaller ground.
Are you sure the union club didn't NEED the bigger stadium at the time? Anyway this has improved in recent years with Toulouse RU hosting the France-GB test in June. A RU player advertised the event. And last November, France-NZ in Paris was played on Stade Français' ground, and they too advertised it.

Then Toloun sign a contracted player - an illegal act under contract law.

But, of course no Aussie league fan should be pissed off!
Tbh this wasn't directed at League. It's more to do with the cowboy president they have. He tried to lure a Springbok lock in the same way (but the SARU with whom the guy was contracted managed to block the move).

Latest posts