What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morts is being rested.

spartan2153

Juniors
yeah, it's funny how people convieniently forget that run in 09 which I thought he was instrumental or at the very least a strong contributer in getting the side to the gf..

Yep he played ok & did a few stand out plays. Looks like the kid peaked too early because since that year we have seen his true ability

yy_cheng

Coach
yeah, it's funny how people convieniently forget that run in 09 which I thought he was instrumental or at the very least a strong contributer in getting the side to the gf..

Well he hasn't evolved or improved since then. Your only as good as your last game (or last few games) really does apply.

I mean I remember Tim Smith in 2005 and partially 07 but look at him now.

Mortz has just not turned up week in week out.

Granted, he has been tasked with being a playmaker which he certainly is not up to scratch for in the NRL. If he was used differently then, it would be ok.

Eels Dude

Coach
why?

They basically play opposite sides of the park.

Robson tried more things and played more confidently but it wasn't because Mortz was not there.

He was playing against a team that was well dominated in the forwards and he just had a go to back himself as he knows he won't likely play NRL for Parra next year so threw the dice. Maybe in the past 10 rounds, SK made him stick to a game plan but yesterday, he said screw the game plan and started backing himself more.

The only impact that Mortz not being there would be that Mortz can't create pressure or gain good field position with his kick which affects the whole team and inadvertently affects Robbo. But not directly per se.

I really think Robbo just decided to come out of his shell against crap opponents and to chance his arm.

I think mentally it may have had something to do with it. Having Maguire playing on the other side of the field who is a very composed and experienced player there was less pressure on Robson to organise the attack and he could play his natural game a bit more.

People say this was a terrible Sharks side but the previous week this same Sharks side (with the exception of Snowden and Gallen playing) towelled up the Roosters and their goal line defence in that match was just awesome.

Interesting that despite the scoreline we still had way more missed tackles than Cronulla did. They in fact had more missed tackles last week when they conceded only 4 points so it's not as if their overall defence was atrocious last night.

hindy111

Post Whore
On the morts thing.... Id put him at 9 for WENTY.
I think he still can become a very Handy 14 for next year...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think if he's rested enough by match day he'll be straight back into the NRL side.

I reckon he'll be so well rested he'll f**king belt the Knights.

bartman

Immortal
I`m sure no one will agree with me, but I think having Mortimer as a halves partner really affected Robson`s game. Last night with McGuire - who was not brilliant, but played a regular, intelligent five-eight`s game - Robson had the confidence to play his hand. We`ll see in the coming weeks, but, if Mortimer is rested for a while, we might see Jarryd Hayne recapture his form too. I actually believe that having Mortimer in the side at five-eight has affected the whole team in a negative way. I think he`s the worst half/five-eight Parramatta has ever had. Well, going back to 1964, which is when I started following them. I hope he never comes near first grade again.
I agree with you Lingard.

Astounded someone had claimed Mortimer's defence is his strength. Well, if that's his strength no wonder he's joining the Wenty squad.

Robson has much more of a clue in attack and defence, just less natural flair and potential ability in attack than Mortimer. But individual flair (or potential ability) is no use if you struggle reading the game in the top grade... I wish Mortimer all the best in "making it", but fear that he'll just end up another Tim Smith (early potential never realised, end up playing out his days in reserve grade at other clubs).

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree with you Lingard.

Astounded someone had claimed Mortimer's defence is his strength. Well, if that's his strength no wonder he's joining the Wenty squad.

Robson has much more of a clue in attack and defence, just less natural flair and potential ability in attack than Mortimer. But individual flair (or potential ability) is no use if you struggle reading the game in the top grade... I wish Mortimer all the best in "making it", but fear that he'll just end up another Tim Smith (early potential never realised, end up playing out his days in reserve grade at other clubs).

Let's be fair to Tim Smith... he actually did have playmaking ability a load more potential than Morts does. Some of the stuff he did for us between '05 to '07 was outstanding for a rookie halfback. Just shame he never became what he could have been. But talent wise he has loads on Morts.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Let's be fair to Tim Smith... he actually did have playmaking ability a load more potential than Morts does. Some of the stuff he did for us between '05 to '07 was outstanding for a rookie halfback. Just shame he never became what he could have been. But talent wise he has loads on Morts.

Just shows how important confidence is in this game.

bartman

Immortal
True, Tim had more raw talent and a much better first grade impact/career in 2005 and some of 2007 than Morts has been able to enjoy.

That's why I fear Morts' future career will actually be worse than what's become of Tim Smith's.

Latest posts