What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morts is being rested.

Gronk

Staff member
The pleasing thing for me last night was that our backline looked less "crowded". I think Casey was experience enough to drop back when Hayne moved up and that let Robbo float left or right to find his runners.

That might change next week against a side with good line speed, but I thought that before this week the ball would bog down with Morts and we'd lose the opportunity to play with width.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Maybe we should rest Robson and play Mortimer next week, Mortimer might have a blinder?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Last night was his first linebreak assist of the season.

I agree with you Pou - that TO DATE Mortimer has been the more "dangerous" of the halves in terms of generating a try.

HOWEVER he's also been woeful defensively (a shame, considering it's Morts strength) - and Morts has overplayed his hand far too often. He's sluggish in his decision making, and unsure, and it affects his outside runners.
Add to that the fact his kicking game was a SHAMBLES since he came into first grade, and it's easy to see why Robson would get the nod ahead of him.

Mortimer has more "potential" - but doesn't look like he'll ever "get there". Robson will play a game like last night twice a season, and the rest of the time be a robotic tackling machine.

McGuire brought something dangerous out wide with his experience and quick decision making --> would be a travesty to see Morts back in first grade this season.
Hopefully he's shunted to Wenty and recalled only in the case of dire injury emergency!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
McGuire brought something dangerous out wide with his experience and quick decision making --> would be a travesty to see Morts back in first grade this season.
Hopefully he's shunted to Wenty and recalled only in the case of dire injury emergency!

I'm in favour of sticking with a winning team, but with McGuire in the halves now it'll be good to see Robson getting dropped if he goes back to being completely ineffective.

And defence was never Mortimer's strength - he's less than 85kg for God's sake. He's just a good defender for a midget.

I hope he gets a run against a likewise depleted side in the future to get his confidence back. I'm sure a few weeks in Wenty will be good for him.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'm in favour of sticking with a winning team, but with McGuire in the halves now it'll be good to see Robson getting dropped if he goes back to being completely ineffective.

And defence was never Mortimer's strength - he's less than 85kg for God's sake. He's just a good defender for a midget.

I hope he gets a run against a likewise depleted side in the future to get his confidence back. I'm sure a few weeks in Wenty will be good for him.

years

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Funny you should say that. I actually think he'll be a good player in a few years.

By then I'm certain he'll be at another club if he hasn't given the game away. Once upon a time little tough blokes without much speed had a place in the game but they didn't play first grade until they were about 24.

Mortimer needs to gain another 5-10kg, and it looks like his metabolism will only allow that to happen with time.

True EEL

Bench
no way Robson - until last night - had been playing better or offering more than Morts this year, absolutely no way......

lingard

Coach
no way Robson - until last night - had been playing better or offering more than Morts this year, absolutely no way......

I`m sure no one will agree with me, but I think having Mortimer as a halves partner really affected Robson`s game. Last night with McGuire - who was not brilliant, but played a regular, intelligent five-eight`s game - Robson had the confidence to play his hand. We`ll see in the coming weeks, but, if Mortimer is rested for a while, we might see Jarryd Hayne recapture his form too. I actually believe that having Mortimer in the side at five-eight has affected the whole team in a negative way. I think he`s the worst half/five-eight Parramatta has ever had. Well, going back to 1964, which is when I started following them. I hope he never comes near first grade again.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I`m sure no one will agree with me, but I think having Mortimer as a halves partner really affected Robson`s game. Last night with McGuire - who was not brilliant, but played a regular, intelligent five-eight`s game - Robson had the confidence to play his hand. We`ll see in the coming weeks, but, if Mortimer is rested for a while, we might see Jarryd Hayne recapture his form too. I actually believe that having Mortimer in the side at five-eight has affected the whole team in a negative way. I think he`s the worst half/five-eight Parramatta has ever had. Well, going back to 1964, which is when I started following them. I hope he never comes near first grade again.
I doubt it mate, have only been watching since the mid 80's but for a guy that has played 50 games he is the top of the pops IMO.

caylo

Bench

:clap::thumb:clap:

Bigfella

Coach
Pretty sure morts got a mom against Newcastle in 09 too - the game he chipped over the top toset up the winning try for fui early in our run

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah, it's funny how people convieniently forget that run in 09 which I thought he was instrumental or at the very least a strong contributer in getting the side to the gf..

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
yeah, it's funny how people convieniently forget that run in 09 which I thought he was instrumental or at the very least a strong contributer in getting the side to the gf..
He definitely was. I still maintain that Morts' best attributes - backing up, tenacity and ability to be in the right place at the right time, including to score tries - is best used in the ad-lib system that we used in 09. Even his short kicking game was better used in off the cuff situations - in 09 he put in quite a few good grubbers and chips in open play.

yy_cheng

Coach

why?

They basically play opposite sides of the park.

Robson tried more things and played more confidently but it wasn't because Mortz was not there.

He was playing against a team that was well dominated in the forwards and he just had a go to back himself as he knows he won't likely play NRL for Parra next year so threw the dice. Maybe in the past 10 rounds, SK made him stick to a game plan but yesterday, he said screw the game plan and started backing himself more.

The only impact that Mortz not being there would be that Mortz can't create pressure or gain good field position with his kick which affects the whole team and inadvertently affects Robbo. But not directly per se.

I really think Robbo just decided to come out of his shell against crap opponents and to chance his arm.

Latest posts