What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most annoying cliche?

brendothejet

First Grade
Last night i heard gus gould say " wade mckinnon is the best support player in the game"

well done, you have just conclusively proven you know nothing about the game of rugby league.

Nuke

Staff member
For mine, the most annoying sayings in footy are:

1. Anything that comes out of Laurie Daley's mouth (I know I'm not alone in this one!).

2. (From the SuperLeague) "I think that'll be a T-R-Y / N-O-T-R-Y". Those English commentators really give me the irrates when they spell out TRY and NO TRY ... do they think they sound better by spelling it out?

3. (Also from the SuperLeague) "To be fair ...". I can guarentee that they'll say that at least 3 times per game.

4. See-you-Slater. I'm glad that has almost disappeared from commentators vocabulary. Laurie Daley is the worst culprit in my opinion.

5. Another that appears to be a rarity these days is the reference to Luke Patten as 'the general'. I know it's his nickname, but in it's heyday, every time Luke got the ball or made a tackle, it was "nice run there from 'the general'", and "'the general makes another try-saving tackle". Rarely (at the time) was his name even said.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

ozbash

Referee
parra pete said:
You mean the pull.!!!

nope, costigan - aussie - calls it the peel, just like you.

wopati,costo and mcgivor are without doubt the worst commentators in the history of the game.

its better to turn the sound off than listen to them shout sh*t.

you aussies dont know how good youve got it over there.

aids

Bench
i always thought the kiwi commentators were having a bit of joke
kind of like a kiwi roy and hg.

by the way, did anyone notice ray warren say that "bowen will hurt you from here" on friday
next week i hope he says that hannay is "showing shades of ainscough"

Master Vippo

Juniors
When panthers won the Grand Final-everyone was calling them "the mountain men!!" or "the big boys from the foot of the mountains!!!"

Azkatro

First Grade
brendothejet said:
Last night i heard gus gould say " wade mckinnon is the best support player in the game"

well done, you have just conclusively proven you know nothing about the game of rugby league.
He has? Care to provide your thoughts on who the best support player is? I don't know who you are, but I'd happily put money down on Phil Gould knowing more about rugby league than you ever will.

parra pete

Referee
Azkatro said:
He has? Care to provide your thoughts on who the best support player is? I don't know who you are, but I'd happily put money down on Phil Gould knowing more about rugby league than you ever will.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
"Once Were Warriors" That headline has ben done to death. Also spelling Warriors as Worriers.

And on the support player thing I rate Brett Hodgson over McKinnon personally.

Moffo

Referee
i get a bit sick of the commentators calling Wiki "The Toughest man in the game today"

MKEB...

Staff member
another one from costigan..." will he score?will he what"
or any commentator "the little men will play a big part in this game when the big forwards start to tire". Good comment... but every game.

Moffo

Referee
Warren Smith "Rugby League at Leichhardt on Sunday...what more could you want"

Latest posts