What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most hated club

most hated clubs (up to 2)

• gold coast titans

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • wests tigers

Votes: 31 4.8%
  • paramatta eels

Votes: 79 12.3%
  • st george illawarra dragons

Votes: 115 17.9%
  • south sydney rabbitohs

Votes: 76 11.8%
  • sydney roosters

Votes: 122 19.0%
  • brisbane broncos

Votes: 89 13.8%
  • cronulla sharks

Votes: 47 7.3%
  • canberra raiders

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • manly sea eagles

Votes: 165 25.7%
  • new zealand warriors

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • melbourne storm

Votes: 189 29.4%
  • north queensland cowboys

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • penrith panthers

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • newcastle knights

Votes: 13 2.0%
  • canterbury bulldogs

Votes: 137 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lambretta

First Grade
The "hatred" for the Melbourne Storm seems to me to be quite amusing.

As a non Storm fan the reasons appear to quite unlogical even though people give quite in depth responses for their feelings.

In the 1990's Brisbane amassed an amazing team, which looked as much like the Australian national team as anything else. They were truly phenomenal and yet they had advantages over everyone else that the salary cap allowed.

They were able to buy and or retain players well beyond the financial reach of any other club. If the playing field were even or even close to even, Brisbane would not have had this advantage.

Brisbane at that time was far, far cheaper to live in than Sydney, so Brisbane with a $3 million salary cap was equivalent to a Sydney team only having $1.5 million to spend.

Fans of the game somehow see this as normal even though it allowed Brisbane to not only keep the best players that Queensland had on offer, but also to buy in everyone else it needed to supplement their already great side.

They had Juniors, tv coverage, corporate sponsorships etc and could afford to pay their players an income that was the equivalent of being far more than any other club could give them.

Now compare this to the Melbourne Storm.
They were building in a City with no juniors, no television, having to import all their players in which costs MORE per player than if you live in your home down close to your family and mates. All in a City that was equally expensive to live in than Brisbane or most of Sydney and their crime was to pay extra to retain their own players - not to buy anyone elses.

When you consider the disadvantages they had - an increased limit in the salary cap SHOULD have been automatically in place purely to level the playing field.

Many on this site claim they would like to see Rugby League grow in Melbourne, but only if the team has every disadvantage possible and no advantages at all.

Believe this. Had the Melbourne Storm NOT paid their players extra money to retain them (as I personally believe MANY other clubs do anyway) and had they let their best go, they would not have had the success they've had.

Without success, the team would most likely have died a few years back as News wouldnt pay any more for a failed business and league would be dead in Melbourne and fighting against AFL in Sydney and Brisbane alone.

If that's what we want, we should all keep believing that the "cheating" was unfair on the rest of us.

We expect they should be able to survive without television coverage, without a juniors comp, whilst having to pay MORE than every other club to attract players South, without an established supporter base and all without success or a history on which to build it. Luxuries every other club enjoys OVER the Storm.

If that's what we believe we can be guaranteed that league will die in Melbourne and if that's the case we are inviting / begging the AFL to defeat us.

They have a long term objective - we have whingeing, back stabbing and only allow advantages if ours is the only club to enjoy them.

Hooray for us.

Lambretta

First Grade
PS. I don't expect people to start loving the Storm or to even agree with me. But to hate a club for having one advantage when they have 10 disadvantages seems rather petty.

But this is a hate thread, so petty irrational thought should be the order of the day. Carry on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lambretta said:
Without success, the team would most likely have died a few years back
I doubt it. They had premiership success in 1999. If that's not great kick start for League in Melbourne, I don't know what is. If they can't build on that without cheating, there's something wrong upstairs.

Are you suggesting they then had to start breaking the rules for the good of the game?
Lambretta said:
Believe this. Had the Melbourne Storm NOT paid their players extra money to retain them (as I personally believe MANY other clubs do anyway) and had they let their best go, they would not have had the success they've had.
They cheated.

Even if you're right and 'many' clubs are over the cap (I don't believe you are right btw), are you saying it's only a problem if they get caught? Two wrongs make a right? Are you saying the Storm were in some way unlucky?

You want special treatment for Melbourne. Once you start giving clubs special favours with the salary cap, where does it end?

If the Storm were allowed to go over the cap, and win premierships with better players bought under those conditions, it would be unfair on other clubs and their supporters. The premiership would be tainted regardless of the spin you put on it.

In any case, the argument is flawed because Melbourne were given a huge leg up by News Ltd to get started. They had access to some very good feeder clubs as well. Plus the amount they cheated the cap by was a lot lot more than any perceived 'helping hand'.

Bottom line: The Storm knew the rules but chose to broke them. No one held a gun to their head and told them to cheat. Those responsible were well aware of what they were doing and there is no justification once you cross that line.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's nothing illogical about being unlogical. I wanted to give Lambrekkie another chance. ;-)

mongoose

Coach
The "hatred" for the Melbourne Storm seems to me to be quite amusing.

As a non Storm fan the reasons appear to quite unlogical even though people give quite in depth responses for their feelings.

In the 1990's Brisbane amassed an amazing team, which looked as much like the Australian national team as anything else. They were truly phenomenal and yet they had advantages over everyone else that the salary cap allowed.

They were able to buy and or retain players well beyond the financial reach of any other club. If the playing field were even or even close to even, Brisbane would not have had this advantage.

Brisbane at that time was far, far cheaper to live in than Sydney, so Brisbane with a $3 million salary cap was equivalent to a Sydney team only having $1.5 million to spend.

Fans of the game somehow see this as normal even though it allowed Brisbane to not only keep the best players that Queensland had on offer, but also to buy in everyone else it needed to supplement their already great side.

They had Juniors, tv coverage, corporate sponsorships etc and could afford to pay their players an income that was the equivalent of being far more than any other club could give them.

Now compare this to the Melbourne Storm.
They were building in a City with no juniors, no television, having to import all their players in which costs MORE per player than if you live in your home down close to your family and mates. All in a City that was equally expensive to live in than Brisbane or most of Sydney and their crime was to pay extra to retain their own players - not to buy anyone elses.

When you consider the disadvantages they had - an increased limit in the salary cap SHOULD have been automatically in place purely to level the playing field.

Many on this site claim they would like to see Rugby League grow in Melbourne, but only if the team has every disadvantage possible and no advantages at all.

Without success, the team would most likely have died a few years back as News wouldnt pay any more for a failed business and league would be dead in Melbourne and fighting against AFL in Sydney and Brisbane alone.

If that's what we want, we should all keep believing that the "cheating" was unfair on the rest of us.

We expect they should be able to survive without television coverage, without a juniors comp, whilst having to pay MORE than every other club to attract players South, without an established supporter base and all without success or a history on which to build it. Luxuries every other club enjoys OVER the Storm.

If that's what we believe we can be guaranteed that league will die in Melbourne and if that's the case we are inviting / begging the AFL to defeat us.

They have a long term objective - we have whingeing, back stabbing and only allow advantages if ours is the only club to enjoy them.

Hooray for us.

I sympathise with the Storm but more for the fact that they developed just about all of their star players, they didnt buy them from other clubs. And while this does not excuse them from cheating the salary cap changes should definitelty be made to reward clubs for developing players that play their first game of first grade with that club.

Canberra went through a similar situation in the early 90s where many of our players became rep stars over night and we got busted for being over the cap, although not by anywhere near as much as the Storm did. A couple of players were forced out of the club and many others took pay cuts. We were lucky but it would have been devastating if the 1990 premiership was stripped off us because we were able to develop such awesome talent.

I know Phil Gould mentioned this a while back as well, but If you look at it this way - The Storm have basically been punished for being the most professional, well run club in the NRL. Slater, Smith, Inglis and Cronk were all developed at the Melbourne Storm, as was many of the other quality players they've had on their roster over the last few years.

Crusher

Coach
Finally someone hated more than Manly. To think its been over 30 years since we savaged other clubs with a chequebook..but memories are long!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I sympathise with the Storm but more for the fact that they developed just about all of their star players, they didnt buy them from other clubs. And while this does not excuse them from cheating the salary cap changes should definitelty be made to reward clubs for developing players that play their first game of first grade with that club.
What can I say? Welcome to our world.

How many clubs have let go of good players they developed?

In the Storm's case, they 'developed' from feeder clubs. Greg Inglis for example came to notice while playing for Norths Devils in Brisbane. The Storm benefitted greatly from the backyards of NSW and Qld, and no one begrudged them that. It was seen as being for the good of the game.

I've lost count of the amount of players Saints have developed but let go because we couldn't keep them all. We're not alone.

mongoose said:
Canberra went through a similar situation in the early 90s where many of our players became rep stars over night and we got busted for being over the cap, although not by anywhere near as much as the Storm did. A couple of players were forced out of the club and many others took pay cuts. We were lucky but it would have been devastating if the 1990 premiership was stripped off us because we were able to develop such awesome talent.

I know Phil Gould mentioned this a while back as well, but If you look at it this way - The Storm have basically been punished for being the most professional, well run club in the NRL. Slater, Smith, Inglis and Cronk were all developed at the Melbourne Storm, as was many of the other quality players they've had on their roster over the last few years.
Most professional? They cheated.

They refused to release players and paid overs while other clubs in the NRL were playing by the rules and releasing players.

If they were professional, they would have looked more after their depth and into furthering the development of their feeder arrangements. To do otherwise was entirely unprofessional.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No sympathy for melbourne. The bottom line is that they couldn't win a premiership legitimately so they decided to cheat. Developed Cronk, Slater, Inglis & Smith? No they spotted their talent and made them into first graders, so I give them some credit. But these players didn't come from the melbourne juniors. The storm decided that they wanted to keep these players so they devised an illegal system to retain them. Meanwhile all other clubs saw players that they also wanted to leave forced out due to the salary cap.
The system may not be flawless but it is the system - the storm breached the system and so deserve everything they get (or didn't get).

And then they carried on with arrogance and as if they were victimised.
Hateworthy.

oval

Juniors
HATE (in no particular order apart from Melbourne as number 1 with a bullet)

Melbourne - Hate the players for acting like they'd done nothing wrong, hate that they beat Manly with an illegal team in the 2007 GF and 2009 final, hate Bellamys frothing gob, hate Billy Slaters flying studs, sqeaky voice and channel 9 work, hate their purple jerseys, hate their stupid abstract team mascot, and hate their parent organisation.

Brisbane - Hate the News Ltd dodgyness, hate their monopoly on the Brisbane market, hate their awesome stadium and financial security, and hate the way the seem to get away with sidestepping the salary cap.

St george - Hate sowards ridiculous little prance.

Souths - Hate the Russell Crowe earnest man love.

Penrith - Hated the small crowd they got at that finals game last year, hate that they haven't been able to successfully build into the league superpower they should be considering their location.

Easts - Hate their channel 9 connection, and their poaching.

Cowboys - Hate their whingy moronic halfback.

Warriors - Hate their unrealised potential.

Cronulla - Hate how depressing it is to watch them on a cold winters night at Toyota,, even if Manly beats them.

Knights - I guess as a Manly supporter I should hate something but can't think of anything now.

Parra - Hate their coin tossing fans.

Bulldogs - Hate the pack aggro of some of their fans, and hate whoever threw a can of beer at my girlfrind at Brookvale a few years ago.

Tigers - Hate the diving.

Canberra - Hate that I never get to watch them play cos Brisbane, St George, Easts or Parra are on the telly.

Gold coast - Hate their tackyness.

Manly - Hate what happened after 2008, hate the lack of enthusiasm from fans and players last year, hate the lack of funding provided to upgrade Brookvale, hate the inane, unfunny and embarrasing new songs and chants pumped out by the small but vocal group of Manly nerds/geniuss who have popped up over the last coupla years, hate the relitively small home crowds and lack of away support, hate that you can no longer smoke on the hill, and hate that I have to wait 4 months before I can go to another game.

All that hate is tiring so its time for bed.

BunniesMan

Immortal
HATE (in no particular order apart from Melbourne as number 1 with a bullet)

Melbourne - Hate the players for acting like they'd done nothing wrong, hate that they beat Manly with an illegal team in the 2007 GF and 2009 final, hate Bellamys frothing gob, hate Billy Slaters flying studs, sqeaky voice and channel 9 work, hate their purple jerseys, hate their stupid abstract team mascot, and hate their parent organisation.

Brisbane - Hate the News Ltd dodgyness, hate their monopoly on the Brisbane market, hate their awesome stadium and financial security, and hate the way the seem to get away with sidestepping the salary cap.

St george - Hate sowards ridiculous little prance.

Souths - Hate the Russell Crowe earnest man love.

Penrith - Hated the small crowd they got at that finals game last year, hate that they haven't been able to successfully build into the league superpower they should be considering their location.

Easts - Hate their channel 9 connection, and their poaching.

Cowboys - Hate their whingy moronic halfback.

Warriors - Hate their unrealised potential.

Cronulla - Hate how depressing it is to watch them on a cold winters night at Toyota,, even if Manly beats them.

Knights - I guess as a Manly supporter I should hate something but can't think of anything now.

Parra - Hate their coin tossing fans.

Bulldogs - Hate the pack aggro of some of their fans, and hate whoever threw a can of beer at my girlfrind at Brookvale a few years ago.

Tigers - Hate the diving.

Canberra - Hate that I never get to watch them play cos Brisbane, St George, Easts or Parra are on the telly.

Gold coast - Hate their tackyness.

Manly - Hate what happened after 2008, hate the lack of enthusiasm from fans and players last year, hate the lack of funding provided to upgrade Brookvale, hate the inane, unfunny and embarrasing new songs and chants pumped out by the small but vocal group of Manly nerds/geniuss who have popped up over the last coupla years, hate the relitively small home crowds and lack of away support, hate that you can no longer smoke on the hill, and hate that I have to wait 4 months before I can go to another game.

All that hate is tiring so its time for bed.

No you don't. You love it. And you want some of that man love.

oval

Juniors
Saw Russell going for a power walk through the city 2 weeks ago, disguised in full South Sydney garb and silver aviator sunnies, and accompanied by a large and handsome mediterranean man. I couldn't help but picture them getting back to Wolloomooloo, the large bodyguard gingerly undressing sweaty Russell, lovingly patting him down with a towel and cooing "what a man, what a beast of a man". Then I imagined him taking Rusty by the hand and leading him to the spa room overlooking the naval base for a bout of earnest man love. At that point I had a massive chubby, and couldn't help but cream my pants right there outside the NSW state library.

Lambretta

First Grade
I doubt it. They had premiership success in 1999. If that's not great kick start for League in Melbourne, I don't know what is. If they can't build on that without cheating, there's something wrong upstairs.

Are you suggesting they then had to start breaking the rules for the good of the game?They cheated.

I'm saying there should have been an allowance in the cap for Melbourne to make up for all the other disadvantages they had.

I would have put the salary cap allowances in for a longer term than two seasons. Say 10% for example.

However, the amount they broke the cap by exceeded the limit I would have allowed and I believe they deserved punishment for going outside the rules. After all, regardless of the fairness of the rules the Melbourne Storm still broke them. They should have petitioned the NRL for allowances rather than take it on themselves to merely circumnavigate them illegally.

But the rules were not entirely "fair" in the first place and any pretence that they are is rather daft.

Question. Would you be happy, if for example, Melbourne started to struggle to attract fans for a player allowance to be introduced to assist them in being more successful on the field?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Addendum to what Willow was saying: we had two of our young guns line up against us in the Grand Final (BJ Leilua and Kane Linnett). We have produced a number of good young outside backs over the last few seasons, and pretty much every last one of them we have had to let go (Joe Vickery is the latest). In particular, seeing Josh Morris in blue and white still pisses me off. But what can you do? Nightingale + Gasnier + Cooper + Morris is a damned strong 3/4 line, and no young player is going to be able to knock one of them out of the road. Hence all our young blokes playing elsewhere.

The final insult is that Melbourne did shed a lot of very good talent over the period they were cheating... and they still couldn't fit the bloated salaries of Inglis, Cronk, Smith, and Slater under the cap. So not only are they filthy cheats, they're incompetent with it.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I was hoping and expecting that we would be a bit more hated. I guess because there is so many of us that we are probably doing most of the hating in this poll.

I love that we are hated.