What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overrated players?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don’t believe Dugan requested that kind of remuneration nor do I feel the club offered that kind of stipend at ANY stage.
Just give a straight answer, instead of trying to make yourself look intelligent, but only making yourself look like a politician.

Now I will ask you again. Do you think that we should have been paying Dugan 700K a season to play half a year at centre for us?

Drag Queen

Bench
To be honest DQ I see Lomax as young Gasnier type and some similarities. He wont be wasted at centre. He is a centre. IMO
I'll take your word for it. I've only seen him play a couple of games since I moved north. Have to say I was impressed enough to think of him as a spine player.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Just give a straight answer, instead of trying to make yourself look intelligent, but only making yourself look like a politician.

Now I will ask you again. Do you think that we should have been paying Dugan 700K a season to play half a year at centre for us?

Hang on, I haven’t been evasive at all.

Although I hate repeating myself, here goes again.

I don’t believe the club offered Dugan YOUR reputed 700k a season amount nor do I believe he requested it either.

Is there a part of that you do not understand?

Frank Facer

First Grade

I don’t believe the club offered Dugan YOUR reputed 700k a season amount nor do I believe he requested it either.

Is there a part of, Do you think we should have paid Dugan 700K a year to play centre for half a season? that you don't understand? lol That is the question. You failed to answer that question twice now, maybe even 3 times. lol Just a simple yes or no would be suffice.

I didn't ask you if you believed that the club offered Dugan a reported 700K, I just asked if you thought we should have offered him that?

Now that I think of it. How much do you think that we did offered Dugan initially when Millward came out and said something along the lines that we were offering him elite center money, but not elite fullback money?

I actually recall reading/hearing that we offered him 750K a season, but he wasn't happy with that. I even recall hearing reading that we later increased the offer to around 800K a season. I will also add that he was already on around 850K a season, so maybe he wasn't happy with us offering him a contract that meant he would have been taking a pay cut.

PS are you really a politician?

Drag Queen

Bench

He doesn't understand. Unless...(insert drum roll). he is the accountant.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Is there a part of, Do you think we should have paid Dugan 700K a year to play centre for half a season? that you don't understand? lol That is the question. You failed to answer that question twice now, maybe even 3 times. lol Just a simple yes or no would be suffice.

I didn't ask you if you believed that the club offered Dugan a reported 700K, I just asked if you thought we should have offered him that?

Now that I think of it. How much do you think that we did offered Dugan initially when Millward came out and said something along the lines that we were offering him elite center money, but not elite fullback money?

I actually recall reading/hearing that we offered him 750K a season, but he wasn't happy with that. I even recall hearing reading that we later increased the offer to around 800K a season. I will also add that he was already on around 850K a season, so maybe he wasn't happy with us offering him a contract that meant he would have been taking a pay cut.

PS are you really a politician?

Considering:

a) I don’t believe the club offered Dugan 700k per season and

b) I don’t believe Dugan requested that particular figure...

your ‘question’ is absurd. If these two scenarios are plausible...which they are...then asking whether the club should have paid Dugan that specific amount in order to play in the centres is irrelevant.

Why?

It wasn’t ever going to happen in my opinion. So, I didn’t fail to answer your enquiry. You just weren’t adroit to understand that it had already been addressed three times in previous posts.

As for your other question, I have NFI what the club initially offered Dugan because (like yourself) I wasn’t privy to those conversations between club-manager-player and vice versa. What I do know is that figures regarding player stipends are often inflated in both the media and forums such as this one.

And, I do recall a quote allegedly from Dugan stating he wanted recognition that he is a world class player. Fair enough. To me, that was an indication that his rapport with management (most likely McGregor) wasn’t good. If true, this isn’t the first time a representative player has left because of the head coach.

Lastly, no, I’m not a ‘pollie’ as I don’t resort to sophistry unlike some other individuals.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Considering:

a) I don’t believe the club offered Dugan 700k per season and

b) I don’t believe Dugan requested that particular figure...

your ‘question’ is absurd. If these two scenarios are plausible...which they are...then asking whether the club should have paid Dugan that specific amount in order to play in the centres is irrelevant.

Why?

It wasn’t ever going to happen in my opinion. So, I didn’t fail to answer your enquiry. You just weren’t adroit to understand that it had already been addressed three times in previous posts.

As for your other question, I have NFI what the club initially offered Dugan because (like yourself) I wasn’t privy to those conversations between club-manager-player and vice versa. What I do know is that figures regarding player stipends are often inflated in both the media and forums such as this one.

And, I do recall a quote allegedly from Dugan stating he wanted recognition that he is a world class player. Fair enough. To me, that was an indication that his rapport with management (most likely McGregor) wasn’t good. If true, this isn’t the first time a representative player has left because of the head coach.

Lastly, no, I’m not a ‘pollie’ as I don’t resort to sophistry unlike some other individuals.
One more time for the dummies (That used to be a slogan used for Luna Park adds back in the 80's)

Do you think we should have offered Dugan 700K a season to play centre for half a season?

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Do you think we should have offered Dugan 700K a season to play centre for half a season?

You realise your question is predicated by the luxury of hindsight?

Perhaps you should rephrase: if you knew Dugan would be available for only half a season, is 700k a reasonable offer?

Now, if that WAS your enquiry, that’s not an easy one to answer because there are many complexities to satisfy before a decision can be made. For example, how crucial is Dugan towards the side’s overall future long term success? Pretty damn important I would’ve thought. Remember, this is a team bereft of any success since 2911. It’s these issues that really pissed me off when fans accused Brett Morris of being “just a winger”. He was much more than that....and so too was Dugan to SGI.

Let me ask you something. What salary do the top centres in the NRL command? Is it $700k per annum? I wouldn’t know.

What I will say is that a top tier representative player, I would’ve been comfortable in paying Dugan a wage that’s commensurate to whatever his contemporaries are earning.

Drag Queen

Bench
You realise your question is predicated by the luxury of hindsight?

Perhaps you should rephrase: if you knew Dugan would be available for only half a season, is 700k a reasonable offer?

Now, if that WAS your enquiry, that’s not an easy one to answer because there are many complexities to satisfy before a decision can be made. For example, how crucial is Dugan towards the side’s overall future long term success? Pretty damn important I would’ve thought. Remember, this is a team bereft of any success since 2911. It’s these issues that really pissed me off when fans accused Brett Morris of being “just a winger”. He was much more than that....and so too was Dugan to SGI.

Let me ask you something. What salary do the top centres in the NRL command? Is it $700k per annum? I wouldn’t know.

What I will say is that a top tier representative player, I would’ve been comfortable in paying Dugan a wage that’s commensurate to whatever his contemporaries are earning.
Eloquently said Sir. "Just a winger" What a frigging shame. Roosters are on the money again. As for Duges, he certainly put his body on the line for us, hence injuries. How quickly people forget that these two players made a difference to our team. I'll also throw Merrin in there for good measure. Three players that were worth keeping.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Eloquently said Sir. "Just a winger" What a frigging shame. Roosters are on the money again. As for Duges, he certainly put his body on the line for us, hence injuries. How quickly people forget that these two players made a difference to our team. I'll also throw Merrin in there for good measure. Three players that were worth keeping.
Dugan isn't worth 700K a season. Dugan wasn't worth keeping. He played his usual half a season. He didn't play reps and probably never will again. Get over him, he is long gone, or go and support Cronulla.

Brett Morris wasn't worth what we were paying him, relative to the salary cap. Then Canterbury offered him even bigger money, with the idea of him playing fullback. I also don't want one of our highest paid players on the wing.

Penrith reportedly paid Merrin 700K a season. lol We definitely should not have matched that. Merrin is a decent forward, but if anything he looks to have gone backwards, since he left here and isn't picked in the rep teams anymore either. He probably wouldn't be worth 700K a season and the salary cap has risen quite a bit, since he signed with Penrith. Gould's 5 year plan didn't come off, what is it now? A ten year plan?

I say that letting all three go was the correct decision.

ALSGI

Bench
One more time for the dummies (That used to be a slogan used for Luna Park adds back in the 80's)

Plain english won’t work.
You need to use fancy words that nobody understands mate, then he’ll get it.

possm

Coach
Plain english won’t work.
You need to use fancy words that nobody understands mate, then he’ll get it.

My view is that we should have kept Morris and brought in his brother instead of letting him go. Merin was playing well enough at the time, a good negotiator would have been able to strike a deal with him. All of the above players are SGI juniors who we invested a lot of time and money into, I would have like to see us strike a deal rather then send them packing on bad terms. Yes that's right, I would have rather Bennett keep Josh Morris even though we had Cooper, Gasnier, Boyd, Nightingale and B Morris in our squad. For heavens sake, it may have meant we did not sign Farrell or Aitken or even Lafia and yes he may have had to play in ISP for a season but would have been very handy in times of injury to Cooper/Gasnier and after Gasnier retired.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan isn't worth 700K a season. Dugan wasn't worth keeping. He played his usual half a season. He didn't play reps and probably never will again. Get over him, he is long gone, or go and support Cronulla.

Brett Morris wasn't worth what we were paying him, relative to the salary cap. Then Canterbury offered him even bigger money, with the idea of him playing fullback. I also don't want one of our highest paid players on the wing.

Penrith reportedly paid Merrin 700K a season. lol We definitely should not have matched that. Merrin is a decent forward, but if anything he looks to have gone backwards, since he left here and isn't picked in the rep teams anymore either. He probably wouldn't be worth 700K a season and the salary cap has risen quite a bit, since he signed with Penrith. Gould's 5 year plan didn't come off, what is it now? A ten year plan?

I say that letting all three go was the correct decision.

If you say so.

Latest posts