What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motivated Dureau puts pressure on Rogers

Serc

First Grade
Motivated Dureau puts pressure on Rogers
BY ROBERT DILLON
07 Jul, 2010 12:00 AM

KNIGHTS five-eighth Ben Rogers needs a big game against NSW skipper Trent Barrett on Sunday after Newcastle coach Rick Stone revealed yesterday that halfback Scott Dureau was pushing for a recall.
Dropped after Newcastle's loss to the Warriors on June 13, Dureau has spent two games in the Knights' NSW Cup feeder team, Central Coast Centurions, and learned last week that the club would not be renewing his contract at the end of the season.
But Stone said yesterday that Rogers needed a convincing display against Cronulla at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday to consolidate his position as Jarrod Mullen's scrum-base partner.
"Rogers is the key," Stone said. "His form hasn't been that good.
"He had a really good game against the Roosters a month or more ago, but he definitely needs to stand up and have a bit more influence over the game and take some pressure off Mullo."
Asked if Dureau was close to being reinstated, Stone replied: "Absolutely. I've sat down with Scotty and said we expect to use him before the year is out.
"But he's got to really show me that he wants his first-grade position back, and I want to see some fighting qualities in getting that position back.
"He knows he needs to do that. He knows what areas of the game he's got to be better at."
Rogers has endured a frustrating season disrupted by injury and suspension, appearing in only six of Newcastle's 15 games.
Knights management showed faith in him recently by re-signing him to a two-year deal, but Stone was disappointed with the 25-year-old's form in Newcastle's 24-16 win against Gold Coast on June 27.
Stone said players with first-grade experience such as Dureau, Cooper Vuna, Keith Lulia, George Ndaira and Joel Edwards, all of whom have been named to play for the Centurions against Windsor Wolves on Saturday, were likely to be needed before the season was done.
"Everyone in the squad will hopefully get a chance to contribute at some stage, and when it's their turn, they have to make sure they're putting their best foot forward and not only helping themselves, but also helping the team," Stone said.
He said the next month would have a "massive" bearing on whether Newcastle would make the finals.
As expected, new signing Antonio Kaufusi was rushed into Newcastle's squad yesterday, at the expense of two-game rookie Edwards.
A former Test and Queensland Origin prop, Kaufusi arrived from North Queensland last week and will make his Newcastle debut off the bench.
Stone was confident Kaufusi and Richie Fa'aoso would provide Newcastle with plenty of impact when they entered the game.
"I think Antonio adds size, and presence as well," Stone said.
"Ben Cross has taken on that mantle for a while for us as far as presence is concerned, and a player like that [Kaufusi] definitely adds some presence and confidence to the pack.
"So I'm looking forward to see how it all works out. I think he'll play some genuine time and hopefully make a real good contribution in his first week."
Hooker Isaac De Gois, who missed the win against Gold Coast with a broken hand, has been named in Newcastle's starting team but faces a fitness test later in the week. The Knights' only other concern is winger James McManus, who is recovering from a rib-cartilage injury but is expected to play.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...d-dureau-puts-pressure-on-rogers/1878023.aspx

Spot On

Coach
I cannot believe what I have just read. Is this bloke determined to end his coaching career as soon as possible?? There are better ways to motivate Rogers than this. You cannot treat the Knights supporter base like this. You can't keep replaying what is one of the worst recurring Knightmares a Knights fan can have - Dureau missing yet another tackle that results in yet more points for opposition team and of course another loss for Newcastle. Rick, are you absolutely insane???? He must be taking the piss..... right?

Spot On

Coach
I've just read it again and I think I'm comprehending it well enough. Stone said Dureau is close to a recall! He did. It says it in the article. Oh, I get it, Rick has had a couple of wins and now he has relaxed a bit and is taking the piss out of us! Phew, now I feel better.

perverse

Referee
i'm starting to think that the world is just trolling the sh*t out of me at the moment. seems everyone is just completely taking the piss.

to be honest, Rogers hasn't really had a shocker this year aside from the Titans game... and to a lesser extent the Parra game (a game in which all 34 players that took the field had absolute shockers). he hardly deserves to feel that his spot is threatened at this stage... especially when we've still won the 2 worst games he's had this year. give Mullo and Dodge some time ffs...

this really is why we can't have nice things...

Spot On

Coach
Hang on a minute - Asked if Dureau was close to being reinstated, Stone replied: "Absolutely. I've sat down with Scotty and said we expect to use him before the year is out. Someone please tell me Rick Stone is not contracted to coach at this or any other NRL club from the end of this year. He cannot possibly be that silly to play Dureau again. Dillon has made the article up or severly misquoted him. Surely.

Serc

First Grade
While I think Dureau has quite rightly self stamped his page in the Knights history books as "to never play first grade again"...who else are we going to play in the halves if any two of the below occur:

a) Rogers continues to have shockers
b) one of Mullen/Rogers gets injured
c) one (or both) of McDonnell/Naiqama get injured

Though just re-reading what I've said above suggests that it will take some pretty hefty change in fortunes in injuries and form for Dureau to get another run.

I know some here would've relished the thought of printing out a statement and handing it to Dureau that says "you are only permitted to play in the real NRL for the rest of the year"...but the fact is that an intelligent coach would know that he has already told the guy enough by not renewing his contract for next year, and is letting him know that should the amazing occur and a bunch of players are not considered for selection, he might actually get another run, so he should be ready for it.

Last edited:
I cannot believe what I have just read. Is this bloke determined to end his coaching career as soon as possible?? There are better ways to motivate Rogers than this. You cannot treat the Knights supporter base like this. You can't keep replaying what is one of the worst recurring Knightmares a Knights fan can have - Dureau missing yet another tackle that results in yet more points for opposition team and of course another loss for Newcastle. Rick, are you absolutely insane???? He must be taking the piss..... right?

Couldnt have worded this better myself, The thought of Dureau back in first grade makes me feel 2 things, blind rage and just sick to the stomach.

Alex28

Coach
Has Rick gone to the Daniel Anderson school of player motivation? I actually didn't think Rogers had been playing all that badly (bar his kicking). Not great, but not bad either...

Anyone else think this might just be a public rev-up for Dodge and may not have anything to do with Dureau at all, or is that too optimistic?

EdLondon

Juniors
Anyone else think this might just be a public rev-up for Dodge and may not have anything to do with Dureau at all, or is that too optimistic?

Exactly what I thought. The only way Dureau will get back in will be injuries. Combination of Rick getting up Dodge and letting Dureau down easy.

roopy

Referee
How bad a coach would Stone be if he totally demoralised Dureau to the point where he stopped trying and injuries meant he had to call him up next week.
Stone's job is to keep the guys he has on his roster performing as well as they can - not rip their hearts out and then crawl back to ask them to save his arse because of injury.

Spot On

Coach
How bad a coach would Stone be if he totally demoralised Dureau to the point where he stopped trying and injuries meant he had to call him up next week.
Stone's job is to keep the guys he has on his roster performing as well as they can - not rip their hearts out and then crawl back to ask them to save his arse because of injury.

If I were Ben Rodgers I would be totally demoralised if replaced by Scott Dureau. Now, yes, that puts a rocket up Ben but if it were to actually happen........ well I'd prefer Rick to just publicly state that Scott's defence is a major issue for himself and the team and that he cannot risk playing him as opposition teams target him because of the turnstile factor which regularly leads to free points. Let's just cut him loose. Enough of coaches having to carefully script the obvious. Same in the Anderson/Hayne/Mortimer saga. Good on DA for putting it out there. Publicly state the blokes need to pull their finger out and that they are in piss poor form.There should be more of it. As for us, I don't care about who else gets injured. If we lose Mullo, Rodgers, Hilder and Gidley I still don't want to see Scott start an NRL game again. He has a sign on him saying, "Run at me, free passage to tryline" and every coach in the NRL knows it. You can't hide him. As for Rogers, his brainsnaps with the ball will cost us here and there, but by and large there is no comparison between he and Scott in defence. In a perfect world I would love to see Ben play mistake free footy with the ball but it aint gonna happen week after week. Rocks or diamonds in attack but again he can tackle. And Roopy, Scott Dureau would be 200/1 to save Rick Stone's arse. He's already directly cost Newcastle at least 6 competition points this year. What he owes Rick and his team mates cannot be repaid.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
If Cooper Vuna is the model on what we do with players who aren't playing for us next year, then Scott should be in the grandstands for the rest of the year. Try any other alternative before having to play him.

Scott should have all the motivation in the world to be playing well for Centurions - the guy will have to get a real job next year if no one else picks him up. If he quits now on the basis of being told he's not wanted next year then he should give the game up for good. No heart.

Roopy - do you suggest that they not tell Scott that he is not wanted for 2011 until the end of the year because they might hurt his feelings?

It is pretty clear that the comments were about giving Dodge a rocket whilst giving Scott a glimmer of hope that he might play first grade again this year. He must be an absolute last resort though.

Johns Magic

Referee
I really think that if Stone picks Dureau unless his hand is absolutely forced, it will be a bad sign for years to come for his coaching career.

Imagine what Brian Smith(not calling him the coaching God, just the polar-opposite) would do if Dureau played like he has this year? He'd organise a mid-season transfer. He wouldn't even entertain the idea of allowing Dureau to further wreck the season.

So yes hopefully those saying it's all smoke and mirrors to give Dodge a rev-up are right...but I don't think it's necessary.

Serc

First Grade

This post is a breath of fresh air amongst the rubbish that fills most of this thread...while Smithy might have arranged a mid season transfer I think it probably wouldn't have happened as what other club has a backup halfback lying around that we should give a go McDonnell style for the rest of the year?

Some of you guys are ranting inanely without even thinking about the situation. When posting this article I wondered if this might happen - but being Captain Positive :p I thought you all would be better than that.

If I were Ben Rodgers I would be totally demoralised if replaced by Scott Dureau.

Do you honestly think thats going to happen? If Rogers continues to play like he has over the past month, I think we're far more likely to see Gidley to halfback and Wes/McDonnell to fullback.

Now, yes, that puts a rocket up Ben but if it were to actually happen........ well I'd prefer Rick to just publicly state that Scott's defence is a major issue for himself and the team and that he cannot risk playing him as opposition teams target him because of the turnstile factor which regularly leads to free points.

I think he's just trying to get Rogers motivated like most people yes...but Stone has said enough about not being able to risk Dureau in the fact that it's already been reported in this very article that his contract will not be renewed.

Much of Newcastle (and a significant percentage of this forum) was up in arms about Brian Smith's lack of man management in 2007, and now Stone is managing his troops imo quite fairly and sensibly, and instead he should be lining Dureau up for the firing squad at dawn? Please...

Let's just cut him loose.

We are!

And Roopy, Scott Dureau would be 200/1 to save Rick Stone's arse. He's already directly cost Newcastle at least 6 competition points this year. What he owes Rick and his team mates cannot be repaid.

I don't think Dureau will be saving anyone's arse, it's just a figure of speech :)

If Cooper Vuna is the model on what we do with players who aren't playing for us next year, then Scott should be in the grandstands for the rest of the year. Try any other alternative before having to play him.

I don't see how arranging a union contract on the quiet, so the club had no chance to make an offer is comprable to a player who is just not up to it and is not going to be used in 2011?

If he quits now on the basis of being told he's not wanted next year then he should give the game up for good. No heart.

Where does it suggest that?

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
You seem confident Scott could do a job if called up due to injury in a big game Serc. You also seem confident Rick won't replace Ben with Scott at some stage. Fellow posters are saying it's not worth calling him up regardless of any injury toll we may incur. When I say cut him loose I mean tell him he is not going to play NRL again this year. Tell him it's because he should be playing in a comp where he can compete and not have to tackle because no one really gives a sh*t - Group 2! Surely you can openly admit this bloke cannot ever play a first grade game in the NRL ever again. That is not an exaggeration it's simply the truth. A few people seem to have trouble dealing with the truth. Especially when a coach openly states it about one of his players.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Find me a quote where I suggested Dureau is anything other than "not to play first grade again" then we can start on that one :p I did also outline the very unlikely scenario back on page 1 that might give him a chance of another run.

I am very confident that we will see either Rogers or Gidley partnering Mullen in the halves for the rest of the year.

I am also very confident that he has been more or less told he is extremely unlikely to play NRL for the rest of the year.

hehehe good old Group 2 - Mid North Coast represent! :D Go the Comets! Maybe Scott should go back to the Port Sharks?

Latest posts