What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies You Dont Understand Why Everyone Raves About Them

Firey_Dragon

Coach
He wasn't supposed to portray the comic book joker.

Actually he was, the original joker in batman comics was darker and more of a clinical psychopath. As the years went by he developed into the caricature type character that many associate with him. If anything Ledger portrayed the original vision for the joker more accurately than anything else you see today, such as the Joker in Arkham Asylum by Hammill.

I wasn't a fan of the movie, but Ledger was nothing short of superb in it. Christian Bale has really started to "over-act" his roles, Rescue Dawn was probably his last solid performance IMO.

As for over-rated movies, I don't get how Napoleon Dynamite is funny. I was bored from start to finish in it.

abpanther

Staff member
I wasn't a fan of the movie, but Ledger was nothing short of superb in it. Christian Bale has really started to "over-act" his roles, Rescue Dawn was probably his last solid performance IMO.

Yep, his over-husky voice is really annoying...

Chook Norris

First Grade
Blade Runner
District 9 [fell asleep, albeit i did watch it late.]
Watchmen [never finished it... just couldn't]
The Godfather

elyod138

Bench

I disagree, yelling is not over acting. He is one of the most subtle actors alive IMO, he uses his eyes better than anyone else I've seen.

He was excellent in Public Enemies and as subtle as ever (though a lot of the general public just label subtle acting as boring and wooden), the son of the guy who he played even said they couldn't have gotten a better performance if they cloned his father. He delivered another great downplayed subtle performance in 3.10 to Yuma too and a memorable couple of scenes in I'm Not There (a more flashy role in this one). The Prestige was also filmed after Rescue Dawn and he is brilliant in that, playing two (or four if you count their alter egos) characters, giving them all subtle differences.

He is the ultimate thinker, every little mannerism and intonation of his voice is done to serve a purpose. An example is The Dark Knight, a lot of people called his performance boring and tired and mopey; that was exactly how Bruce Wayne is in the script, the whole movie is about how he is tired with living a dual life and considering giving it up.

He is an actor, not a movie star. His aim is to serve the character and the movie, not to entertain the public. He isn't afraid of stepping into the background if it serves the movie. He's not the next Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Tom Cruise or George Clooney; he's more like Gary Oldman, Robert Duvall, Chris Cooper or Daniel Day-Lewis.

Terminator Salvation is the exception (along with a couple of others when he was poor and looking for work e.g. Reign of Fire, though he was still good in that), that movie was just poorly written and had no substance. He either agreed to that before the script had been finished and took a leap of faith in McG and it failed big time, or he just wanted a nice pay packet. He used an angry, husky voice a lot in that movie because the character was pretty much a stereotypical yelling, angry military leader, the writers gave John Connor no character development at all. The only depth was that he was frustrated with the leaders above him which simply led to more anger and yelling.

Fair enough if you dislike his Batman voice but it is not simply his choice, the director is the one who is in charge of the movie.

I personally loved it, it sounds exactly the way I imagined it as described in the comics.

I find the other Batman voices laughable because they don't disguise it at all, it makes no sense when they talk the same as Bruce Wayne, especially if they are going for 'realism' like the Nolan movies.

..but I'm just a Bale fanboy, so you can probably disregard everything I said up there ^.

Really though, I think some people are simplifying his performances a bit and not thinking through why they are the way they are. I think more people will start to notice what I and other Bale fans see when he plays some bigger roles with substance and flashier characters. The Fighter sounds like one of those roles but I'm not sure if it will get a wide release.

I think the Ledger Joker was great too and about as faithful to the comics as you could get in Nolan's world.

Also, Blade Runner is awesome and Superbad is a great honest and touching comedy about teenagers, IMO (and Michael Cera is one of the most gifted comic actors I have seen, but that rant will could take up a few more paragraphs).

Last edited:

Naps

Juniors
I understand why people say Michael Bay films are crap.....but As Michael Bay said himself "I direct movies for teenage boys".....but nevertheless, anyone that says The Godfather Is 'boring' is a moron.

roboshark

Coach
A war movie of a few years ago....the thin red line.....worst movie ever yet good wraps at the time

Ftr I thought ledger was outstanding in the dark knight, and he made the movie

simmo1

First Grade
I understand why people say Michael Bay films are crap.....but As Michael Bay said himself "I direct movies for teenage boys".....but nevertheless, anyone that says The Godfather Is 'boring' is a moron.

No, its boring. Dickhead.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Movies from before the 80's appeared not to conform to what is now perceived to be 'Hollywood' timing.
ie - you spend so long developing plot, then action, then plot, then build up then action and so on...

The Godfather seems boring, because its paced slowly. Because its not all tense and action-y and what most cookie cutter movies are today, yeah it seems boring.
I admit, it can be tough getting through it at times, but the story itself and the acting are phenomenal.

I would like to see what a modern director could do with the movie simply using the original footage, but editing it and scoring it in a modern fashion. Just out of interest anyway...

Knightmare

Coach
'Anchorman' is a funny movie, but not as piss-your-pants hilarious as what alot of people make it out to be.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
high Fidelity with John Cusack and Liv Tyler. Supposed to be this cult classic but for me has no redeeming features

That said for someone lauded as a top notch actor, I find Cusack very limited and unable to do anything other than forelorn brooding

2012 was a steaming pile of crap

zombieland, dont get me wrong i enjoyed it a lot,but there people saying its better than planet terror and that itself makes this movie over-rated

i would also say this is behind most other zombie flicks by romero and also the new dawn of the dead and dance of the dead

The Godfather trilogy is awesome, as is Scarface.

Agree with everyone re: Tranformers. The Cartoon movie is 10 times better.

For me, Titanic. I just don't see why it won so many awards.

I also don't see what's so funny about the Austin Powers movies.

Latest posts