What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Kearney, Welcome to our nightmare

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
I can't see all the fuss really..... our backline on average (ie even allowing for hayne) is probably the equal least talented in the competition. Reality is if each team plays to it's full potential we will occupy a position between 13-16. That's not to say I'm giving up on them this year. SK has inherited the playing roster and even after D.A left there has been nothing on the market worth buying. My enjoyment this year wil come from seeing parra try a different style.... and yes that will mean the 6,7,9 have to be up to it.

spiderdan

Bench
We will be doing well to avoid the spoon
people were saying we would be like the storm. Who knew that meant the storm of 2010?

Don't know why things changed so much when McGuire went off but after competing for much of the first half we came out and played like crap. That defensive effort was kinda pathetic.

In attack we still are missing a creative ball player. Hayne can't be expected to do it all himself. I've said it before and stand by it, we can have Mortimer or robson in the halfs but not both. And is it really that hard to find open space on 50% of your kicks? Don't know why morts hoofs the ball straight to opposition players.

I hope Kearney is building something. If we keep playing that crap style and structure we won't be making any impact ever. It was very hagan 2008 like. People talk about completing sets to win. Fair point but completing sets isn't the same as just hitting the ball up in a predictable way that doesn't make the opposition defence work too hard. I will stop having a go at Kearney there as he walked into the place with this squad and there's only so much you can do. As the saying goes, you can polish a turd but it's still gonna be a turd.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Atrocious is really the only way to describe our team. We deserve the wooden spoon at this stage.

You never heard of the Titans?

people were saying we would be like the storm. Who knew that meant the storm of 2010?

The difference between us and the 2010 Storm is we're a million bucks under the cap.

Don't know why things changed so much when McGuire went off but after competing for much of the first half we came out and played like crap. That defensive effort was kinda pathetic.

I think right after halftime there was a combination of factors that lost the game for us. First we f**ked the kickoff reception (Ben Smith?) then Morgan and Etu allowed Taylor to offload in a 4 man tackle for the 41st minute try.

Then we dropped our heads, which was compounded by Fui's sin-binning. I blame the team's leadership group; they're to blame for that sh*thouse twenty minutes after halftime.

In attack we still are missing a creative ball player. Hayne can't be expected to do it all himself. I've said it before and stand by it, we can have Mortimer or robson in the halfs but not both. And is it really that hard to find open space on 50% of your kicks? Don't know why morts hoofs the ball straight to opposition players.

One thing that really kept Souths in the game early on was our kicking game - Robson and Hayne both kicked out on the full a couple of times, as well as Hayne dropping the ball cold shaping to kick at the end of the first half. Mortimer's kicks straight to the fullback are golden compared to kicking out on the full. To his credit though, he did a nice touch finder under pressure. But long-kicking's not his forte.

I think Morts has been good so far this year.

I hope Kearney is building something. If we keep playing that crap style and structure we won't be making any impact ever. It was very hagan 2008 like. People talk about completing sets to win. Fair point but completing sets isn't the same as just hitting the ball up in a predictable way that doesn't make the opposition defence work too hard. I will stop having a go at Kearney there as he walked into the place with this squad and there's only so much you can do. As the saying goes, you can polish a turd but it's still gonna be a turd.

You can't help being forced into error but unforced errors are unforgiveable. Last night (and last week) we made loads of unforced errors that cost us so much possession and field position. We're playing boring to cut out the forced turnovers but the easy drops and kicking out on the full are making our boring style redundant right now.

At least last night we supported the ball-carrier, which was missing last week. We made easy metres. It's just that with all the mistakes we couldn't build any pressure.

eel01s

Bench
Morgon needs to stay there and be developed into a first grader!

There is something about Morgan that leads me to believe that Kearney will persist with him. Yes Reddy has to come back into the side, but I think Morgan has to stay. His development this year could be crucial in 2012. Obvioulsy he needs to improve his defence but he is still young. I think he looks pretty good with the ball.

My preferred backline would be:

Hayne
Burt
Reddy
Morgan
Atkins/Hicks

As for the halves, good luck SK, you will need it.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Patience is the key. Morgan and Etu are young. If we give them say 3 or 4 years in first grade to find their feet, they might develop into good players.
Just as we are doing with Mortimer, you don't want to rush these things. Just give them time.
Come 2015 we should, fingers crossed, reap the rewards, and a top 8 spot will be ours.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Patience is the key. Morgan and Etu are young. If we give them say 3 or 4 years in first grade to find their feet, they might develop into good players.
Just as we are doing with Mortimer, you don't want to rush these things. Just give them time.
Come 2015 we should, fingers crossed, reap the rewards, and a top 8 spot will be ours.

Etu will be 31 in 2015..:lol:

oh! yeah now i see your point...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I just wanna hear from all the Kris Keating baggers? Where are you now? Hope you're happy.

DA and Ozzie made the decision to sign Morts and not Keating. It should turn out to be a good decision. Morts went no good last year because DA is apparently clueless. Kearney should fix all this with his new game plans and structures. Only time will tell.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
FACE you f**ken idiot, he's got a big FACE.

Heaps of merkins have big heads; it's Kearney's big face that makes him special. If you're gonna f**ken imitate me at least do it right.

Bwwhahahaha...imitate. The word you are looking for is ridicule.

I will try to remember it is face.....because that really makes a difference to the stupidity of the statement.

Lol

To the rest of the the parra fans. Still early days.

Free Humble!!!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think stagger mentioned Filga had a good game on the wing two weeks ago. I would Bring in Filiga to the wing, Reddy to centre. Keep Morgan and Burt. Drop Robson, Mortimer to half back and Rogers to 5/8. Then get Hayne to be more of a player maker. Mitchell onto the bench for Keating.

lingard

Coach
During the match, Fittler said that you want Hayne to get the ball as often as he wants it. He then said, Hayne asked for it 4 times earlier and they didn't give it to him.

He probably had a sook and thought, well if SK wants our halves to do it, I'll let them do it.

Why do you think Hayne would have a sook? I can see him getting frustrated. But having a sook? Are you kidding?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think stagger mentioned Filga had a good game on the wing two weeks ago. I would Bring in Filiga to the wing, Reddy to centre.

I suspect Filiga could be a massive liability in defence, but Etu's hardly been Rod Wishart out there.

We definitely need Reddy back.

Keep Morgan and Burt.

I reckon Morgan could be a quality first grader one day but I've been pretty happy with Walker except for him constantly getting injured. I'd stick with Walker on the left.

Drop Robson, Mortimer to half back and Rogers to 5/8.

I'd keep Robson until Murray (or Bruest or Humble) is ready for first grade. With split halves you don't want a back-rower in the 6 jersey.

I liked the look of Rogers but Horo and Lasalo have both pretty good. I'd give Ben Smith one more chance before f**king him off for Rogers.

Then get Hayne to be more of a player maker.

Hayne's had 4 try assists in 3 games. I think his involvement is just about right. Last year he overplayed his hand and got in the way. Then he wasn't in the right place when we needed him.

Mitchell onto the bench for Keating.

With McGuire out for a couple of weeks I'm sure we'll see Mitchell onto the bench this week anyway.

lingard

Coach
See this is where the whole game plan has to change, relying on Hayne all the time to put the big kicks and big plays. Thats a big worry with the halves.

The halves look lost and dont know what to do, they seem to look around try and give it to Hayne and put the silly kicks through. Lack of communication, no talk, Im sorry they both Robson and Mortimer have to be dropped.

Now Im not saying Etu's a good winger, but to be fair he hardly the saw the ball cause our halves can't pass the ball out wide. I think Burt touched it about 3 times and made a break and almost scored a try.

We replaced him last week with a winger who was a lot worse, couldnt defend and was slow. I really dont know who they'll bring in, unless they shift Walker to the wing when Reddy comes back or bring in Jordan Atkins

There's no structure, no game plan, I saw probably the same thing as last year, if not worse. No enthusiasm.

I know it takes a while for a coach to gel his side, but you can't have a big pre-season and play like that.

As for Matt Keating, I think we kept the wrong Keating cause it wouldnt surprise if Kris Keating has a good season for the Bulldogs and Mitchell will leave if we dont give him a go.

Robson and Mortimer can`t both be dropped right now. No-one in the lower grades to replace them. When Tom Humble comes back, that will probably be an option. I actually think that we probably only need to drop one of the halves. At this exact point in time, it looks like Robson would be the one to go. I think at the moment, Mortimer would be okay if he had a decent halves partner. (I`m obviously assuming here, that Tom Humble would be a decent halves partner). Could we end up with Mortimer in the 7 and Humble in the 6? I can`t see any other half coming through, unless you want to wait until Maitua is eligible and put him at 6. I think he might be a better option in the centres myself.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
i think some1 needs to post a picture of a guy with a big head and small face to clear up all the confusion and then mayb, just maybe we can start winning some footy games

lingard

Coach

Now, now. You`re getting ahead of yourself, M.E.

Latest posts