What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muay Thai

brendothejet

First Grade
Well Dill,

i been in a few rumbles on the footy field (see the picture thread, case in point, my nose) but never in a massive brawl.

You know what the problem is? Yeah there are blokes who you'd love to go and belt the sh*t out of, but you don't know which merkins are gonna pull out a knife or make you bite the gutter.

brendothejet said:
Raider69,

For all our stoushes this time you are bang on the f**ken nail!

I'm sorry but you must be pretty hectic to come on here and talk about getting stabbed and how your a mad street fighter.

Can you do a sonic boom like Ken?

Or are you from Mortal Kombat?

Not baggin ya jamie as I dont doubt what you say but this is a pretty funny reply.

RABK

Referee
Btw, i'll tell a story.....

Coming home from the Knights vs Roosters semi final of 2003 i was near the hungry jacks at central stations main concourse. Down towards the entrance i noticed an asian man and his girlfriend been hassled by a group of 4 lebanese men. From what i saw they said soemhting about this guy's girlfriend and the asian guy was none to happy about it, raising his fist towards one of the lebanese men.

This lebanese man grabbed the asian guy by the jacket which resulted in the asian guy brekaing free, tkaing a couple of steps back then exploding with a roundhouse kick that knocked the bloke inot ga ga land. The other lebanese mens eyes lit up and as security ran over (chubb security as it was then) the other lebanese ran.

The asian guy was let go while an ambulance was called for the lebanese bloke.

RABK

Referee
brendothejet said:
Well Dill,

i been in a few rumbles on the footy field (see the picture thread, case in point, my nose) but never in a massive brawl.

You know what the problem is? Yeah there are blokes who you'd love to go and belt the sh*t out of, but you don't know which merkins are gonna pull out a knife or make you bite the gutter.

Exactly right, still doesn't hurt to know how to fight.

K82, i conceded that it was a funny reply, hence went along with the joke. Brendo continued hence i took offence to it the second time.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, if we lived in a world where people didn't know how to punch or kick or use weapons then yes - self-defence would be pointless.

But the reality - the harsh reality - is that the world isn't that way. You may well end up getting into a fight that started over nothing (say you're at a club, you're walking along and accidentally bump into some guy; he's had a few too amny, gets annoyed and has at you), and thus self-preservation is key.

aqua_duck

Coach
Dilmah said:
I've seen a fourth degree black belt floored with one punch.

I fail to see how martial arts helped him.
Thats stupid, ofcourse it won't help, people don't practice getting punched in the head when learning martial arts. The objective of any good martial artist is trying to avoid the punch.
The way I see it is knowing martial arts is abit like being big, being big won't always win you a fight same with knowing martial arts, but it helps.

TooheysNew

Coach
Thats stupid, ofcourse it won't help, people don't practice getting punched in the head when learning martial arts. The objective of any good martial artist is trying to avoid the punch.
The way I see it is knowing martial arts is abit like being big, being big won't always win you a fight same with knowing martial arts, but it helps.
Stupid? But I was just told that martial arts allow you to take a punch. Oops - someone f**ked up.

The Devil

Bench
Dilmah said:
Stupid? But I was just told that martial arts allow you to take a punch. Oops - someone f**ked up.

Depends on your interpretation.

If you learn martial arts, most will have sparring lessons, some with or without padding equipment so you won't hurt yourself and you can go all out. The sparring lesson isn't there only to help you practice what you've learnt, it's also there to help you read your opponents movements.

And noone practices getting punched in the head, unless you're Homer Simpson :p

aqua_duck

Coach
DeviL9 said:
Depends on your interpretation.

If you learn martial arts, most will have sparring lessons, some with or without padding equipment so you won't hurt yourself and you can go all out. The sparring lesson isn't there only to help you practice what you've learnt, it's also there to help you read your opponents movements.

And noone practices getting punched in the head, unless you're Homer Simpson :p
Exactly
I mean you've seen boxers go down from a single punch from a padded glove as well. It will happen, doesn't matter how good you are.

Latest posts