What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Munsters moment he truly became a Storm player

Travitoh

First Grade
It is near impossible for a NRL player to pursue a claim for negligence against their club, the opposition club, or the NRL, under Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW) s 5L: http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/cla2002161/s5l.html (i.e., the 'Dangerous Recreational Activities' provisions).

You can thank Bob Carr for this.

Workplace safety? Especially when the NRL has had the opportunity to make changes to stamp it out yet failed to execute when necessary

Someguy

First Grade
You cannot use your legs in a tripping motion at any time, that’s what it looked like Munster tried to do but he either clumsily missed or pulled out at the last second. The bunker cleared Tupou, his knees were on the ground before he collected Ado Carr,not even close to an 8pt try.

The knees is not the point it’s just the pointless action of hitting someone late after The try is scored. Given it happens frequently and is not penalised makes the call right on the grounds of consistency but it’s something that should be stamped out.

Canard

Immortal
You cannot use your legs in a tripping motion at any time, that’s what it looked like Munster tried to do but he either clumsily missed or pulled out at the last second. The bunker cleared Tupou, his knees were on the ground before he collected Ado Carr,not even close to an 8pt try.

That kneeing technicality is odd.

I mean someone dropping to their knees to the ground a milli second before they make contact is still going to injure. Also isn't it still technically late contact knees or not.

Regardless, it was an exceptionally dumb play by Tupou, and in a closer game could have lost his team the GF

Fire

First Grade
Workplace safety? Especially when the NRL has had the opportunity to make changes to stamp it out yet failed to execute when necessary
Good question.

Perhaps in Tasmania because of this case (which considered horse racing).

Perhaps not in New South Wales because of this case (which considered rugby league) and this case (which considered horse racing).

However, the matter has not been before the High Court so a work health and safety argument may succeed. We simply do not know yet.

My opinion is I don't think it could because of each state's civil liability legislation (but I like how you're thinking outside the box!)

Last edited:
The knees is not the point it’s just the pointless action of hitting someone late after The try is scored. Given it happens frequently and is not penalised makes the call right on the grounds of consistency but it’s something that should be stamped out.

Forgetting the knee aspect why do players jump on top of the try scorer, making them 'earn' it i guess. If that's done in general play it's a flop, and sometimes penalised.

Hutty1986

Immortal
That kneeing technicality is odd.

I mean someone dropping to their knees to the ground a milli second before they make contact is still going to injure. Also isn't it still technically late contact knees or not.

Regardless, it was an exceptionally dumb play by Tupou, and in a closer game could have lost his team the GF
He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

kbw

Bench
I agree that what Toops did was dumb and I think that by the "rules" the decision was correct.
But I do think it should not matter whether they hit the ground first or not, while it may reduce the impact it still has the chance of causing injury and that is why the rules are put into place

Someguy

First Grade
f**k that.

When the ref went to the video asking to check a possible 8 point try to Melbourne in a GF, I dropped sobbing into the fetal position.

And I'm sure I wasn't the only dragon supporter who did.

Obviously not a dragons supporter....

AJB1102

First Grade
I hate players who give up before the ball is grounded. If you've chased them to the in-goal keep the pressure on till its grounded.

SBD82

Coach
Thats a surprising level of pedantry you've chosen to apply to a lighthearted comment.

Now that you've set such a lofty standard, I guess I should admit that I also didn't actually sob, or drop into the fetal position.