What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Heath record opt in or out

Alfred DeBois

Juniors
What is the consensus of the new My Health record created by the government.
An online summary of your health information.

Are people opting out or not worried?

Pommy

Coach
What are people’s worries exactly?
I haven’t read a lot on the issue but it seems like people are worried about having their data online. But that is already the case, I’m sure hospitals and doctors surgeries are backing up data off site and the opportunity to steal this data already exists.

Alfred DeBois

Juniors
What are people’s worries exactly?
I haven’t read a lot on the issue but it seems like people are worried about having their data online. But that is already the case, I’m sure hospitals and doctors surgeries are backing up data off site and the opportunity to steal this data already exists.

I don't know much about it but I think a lot of people are worried about their health records being potentially hacked by overseas hackers. I have heard a few security experts express concerns.

I am not in the medical service and I stand corrected.
I assume Hospital and doctors do back up data but this new my health record everything gets published online under one site for Health workers like Doctor's Nurses, Hospital administrators to see.
Blood tests, Hospital discharge paper, Medicare data etc.
Even pharmacists can log into it. I believe you can set limits on who can get access.

I know the UK had system called Care Data a few years ago and that was a flop. (its now cancelled and some think our system is identical to it)
Their biggest gripe was drug and insurance companies bought information on patients’ mental health conditions, diseases and smoking habits.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tical-to-failed-uk-scheme-privacy-expert-says

I don't mind my health records getting shared for the right experts if I am unconscious in another state but I don't want insurance companies later on getting access to my data.

NIB in yesterday's Herald were hopeful of getting access by 2020.

If anyone knows more about it or has concerns post away. I would like to know more.

Parra

Referee
Great idea. Should provide a lot of benefits.

Zero trust that this will be done well.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Great idea. Should provide a lot of benefits.

Zero trust that this will be done well.

That’s how I feel. The basic idea is great and should provide a lot of benefits, but I’ve got zero faith in its implementation currrently. I’ll be opting out until they tighten up security but more importantly guarantee that the data will never be made available to third parties (other than those providing treatment) such as insurers.

Latest posts