What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Junior Knights side 2004

roopy

Referee
These are the guys from all grades I think look the best in 2004.

Fullback - Jacob Jenkinson from Harold Mathews - he looked to be close to the best player in the side and looks to be a true fullback with great ability under a high ball, is a great ball returner, and injects himself into the attack really well. He is only a small guy, but he flies over the pack like an AFL player to take a high ball.

Wingers - Blake Tremain-Cannon and Morgan McGuire - a hard position to pick. The Flegg winger Livermore has been going well, but all-in-all we haven't got much talent on the wing. Tremain-Cannon has played as much fullback and centre this year as wing, but his speed and defence make him a good wing prospect IMO. McGuire is very raw, but he is very athletic and has speed to burn. I think he will improve in leaps and bounds in the future.

Centres - Callan Richardson and Brad Tighe - Callan is a tall redhead who scored heaps of tries in Mathews, and Tighe is currently playing 5/8 in Premier League.

5/8 - Jarrod Mullen - top try scorer and one of the outstanding players in our grandfinal winning SG Ball side. He topped it off with a rep cap for NSW u17s.

Half - Scott Briggs - should have started the season in Ball - but so far this season he has forced his way from the bench in Flegg, through MOTM performances at fullback and 5/8 in Flegg, to starting halfback in Premier League. At times he looks like a kid playing with the adults in Premier League, but at other times he looks every bit ready to take on firstgrade. Many of our other halfbacks like Burraston, Walsh, Dureau and Dickson are all fine players and deserve a mention, but Briggs is something special.

Lock - it has to go to Riley Brown - he could be playing Flegg, but is playing firstgrade instead. He has picked up his usual bag full of tries in Premier League before stepping up to the bigtime. Barton from Ball and NSW u17s runs him a close second.

Second row - Snowden and Hlad from the Ball side - both are also in rep sides - Snowden in CHS and Hlad in NSW u17s.

Props - Tilse and Andriessen - Tilse is our only rep in NSW u19s and has played every game in Premier League this year despite being named in the Flegg squad at the start of the year. Andriessen was the power behind our Ball side for much of the season before being injured (missed the GF). He is back now for the Flegg side.

Hooker - last year this was our strongest position with standout players in all grades (Quigley, Ennis, Parker, Sainty), but this year the only standout is Nathan Berry who has pushed Parker out of Flegg before being promoted to Premier League. Parker won the coaches award in Flegg last year, so Berry had to be good to push him out of the side.

Jenkinson - Mathews
Tremain-Cannon - Flegg and Premier League
Tighe - Flegg and Premier League
Richardson - Mathews
McGuire - Mathews
Mullen - SG Ball
Briggs - Flegg and Premier League
Brown - Premier League and firstgrade
Snowden - SG Ball and Flegg
Hlad - SG Ball and Flegg
Tilse - Premier League
Berry - Flegg and Premier League
Andriessen - SG Ball and Flegg

Bench from;
Perrin - second row or prop from Flegg and Premier League
Dormand - prop from Ball and Flegg
Taufua - prop from Ball and Flegg
Tupou - lock from Flegg
Barton, Burraston, Walsh, Dureau, Dickson, McLouglin, Mercer, Worth, Young, all of whom are either rep players, playing above their grades, or just close to the best in their sides.

roopy

Referee
To rate them in order.
Snowden 95/100
Briggs 90/100
Tilse 85/100
Brown 85/100
Jenkinson 85/100
Tighe 80/100
Mullen 80/100
Andriessen 80/100
Burraston 80/100
Berry 80/100
Hlad 75/100
Dureau 75/100
Tremain-Cannon 70/100
Richardson 70/100
Walsh 70/100
McLouglin 70/100
Young 65/100
Dickson 65/100
Worth 65/100
Perrin 65/100
Tupou 65/100
Barton 65/100
Mercer 65/100
McGuire 60/100
Dormand 60/100
Tufua 60/100

roopy

Referee
I'd add Leigh Abel and Nathan Hinton to the list after last week, and Maybe push Jarod Mullen up a few ranks.

Tufua is also charging up the list. He would get my 'most improved award' - If I were giving awards.

reladith

Juniors
Roopy, stop talking out of your arse. As much as I admire your support of the juniors... They are not as good as you always say, except for Snowden.

If they are as good as everyone implies, why is Flegg coming 10th and Premier League coming second last?

Doctor

Bench
reladith said:
Roopy, stop talking out of your arse. As much as I admire your support of the juniors... They are not as good as you always say, except for Snowden.

If they are as good as everyone implies, why is Flegg coming 10th and Premier League coming second last?

You've been told Roopy -- don't make us have to tell you again. :x :lol:

Besides, you're only getting our hopes up. I know who I'll be blaming if we haven't won at least two premierships by 2007.... ;-)

Tilse is our only rep in NSW u19s and has played every game in Premier League this year despite being named in the Flegg squad at the start of the year

Tilse played first grade at least once, off the bench a few weeks back. Can I safely assume this promotion was during a week Premier League had a bye then?

northey

First Grade
Half - Scott Briggs - should have started the season in Ball - but so far this season he has forced his way from the bench in Flegg, through MOTM performances at fullback and 5/8 in Flegg, to starting halfback in Premier League. At times he looks like a kid playing with the adults in Premier League, but at other times he looks every bit ready to take on firstgrade

i totally agree with you on scott.
i have seen this 18 year old play and he is just great. he might be one of the youngest player on the knights but this boy is going to go far. let's just hope he can stey with the knights

this year the only standout is Nathan Berry who has pushed Parker out of Flegg before being promoted to Premier League. Parker won the coaches award in Flegg last year, so Berry had to be good to push him out of the side.

nathan is a talented player, he is great at hoker. only problem is for this 19 year old is DANNY BUDERUS.

roopy

Referee
A good number of those players come from the SG Ball side that won the title and had 6 players in the NSW U17 selection trial and 4 made the side.

Jenkinson, Mullen, Mercer, Hlad, Tighe, Burraston, Andriessen, Snowden, Barton, Tilse, Brown and a heap more I can't think of for now have played rep football for either Australia, NSW or CHS.

The only two sides that have more of their juniors playing in the NRL are the Warriors and Brisbane - and they both have 4 or 5 times the population to call on that we have.
I think it is 12 Newcastle juniors have made their firstgrade debuts in the last two seasons - no other club would come within a bulls roar of that.
The problem this year is that the firstgrade side has had injuries, so the premier league side loses guys like Ennis, Brown, Tanner, Lowrie, Matt Kennedy, Hall, Carmont etc etc - and the Flegg side loses guys like Briggs, Tilse, Worth, McLouglin, Tighe, Berry etc etc.
Last week we only had a bad injury toll, instead of an horrendous one, so we easily beat Manly in Flegg with guys like Mercer and Berry and Perrin playing their first Full Flegg games in weeks - and we gave fourth placed Manly an aweful scare in Premier League before going down by two points.

Our lower grades throw up guys like Ennis, Brown, Lowrie, Tilse, Tanner etc etc all the time. We have no problem with the lower grades - even though we have never seemed to have a good reggies side - largely because they are always too young I feel.

northey

First Grade
nathan hinton from flegg is another boy to watch out for.

i also like the way aaron hartmann plays

deedles

Juniors
yeah hinton is a great young one. the problem is we definately cannot guarantee that these boys will be with us in the future. hopefully we can regain some stability in our teams for the next few weeks, itll help all three sides.

there are so many prospects for the future, despite what some people think, its just a matter of holding onto them now and developing them further.

quick question northey, what do you like about hartmanns game?? just curious cause every time ive seen him play this year hes only had an average one, but he did fracture his sternum against parra back in march, and he didnt play against the bears in rd 14 cause of uni exams. i think the only time he touched the ball in the first half against manly last week was picking it up after a manly knock on. his second half was much better, he was the support runner for three knights tries and had a much much better half once he settled in.

roopy

Referee
roopy said:
To rate them in order.
Snowden 95/100
Briggs 90/100
Tilse 85/100
Brown 85/100
Jenkinson 85/100
Tighe 80/100
Mullen 80/100
Andriessen 80/100
Burraston 80/100
Berry 80/100
Hlad 75/100
Dureau 75/100
Tremain-Cannon 70/100
Richardson 70/100
Walsh 70/100
McLouglin 70/100
Young 65/100
Dickson 65/100
Worth 65/100
Perrin 65/100
Tupou 65/100
Barton 65/100
Mercer 65/100
McGuire 60/100
Dormand 60/100
Tufua 60/100

Thought I'd have a look at this list to see if my opinion has changed. I think Tuafua, Hlad, Mercer, Worth, Mullen and McLoughlin have all gone up in my estimation - I'd add White, Cox, Walker, Houlison and Hartman to the list - and Tremain-Canon, Tupou, Dickson, Briggs and Young have all dropped a bit of form IMO.

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
Roopy said
"I think it is 12 Newcastle juniors have made their firstgrade debuts in the last two seasons - no other club would come within a bulls roar of that."

Well the Cowboys would come very close to that if not beating that make of 12 in two seasons and look were we are on the ladder.

The knights have not been playing as well as they could in the last two years which is a reflection of the Knights juniors IMO.

If you want to talk about up and coming juniors have a look at Nth Qld. :)

Cowboy Fan

Juniors
Roopy said
"I think it is 12 Newcastle juniors have made their firstgrade debuts in the last two seasons - no other club would come within a bulls roar of that."

Well the Cowboys would come very close to that if not beating that make of 12 in two seasons and look where we are on the ladder.

The knights have not been playing as well as they could in the last two years which is a reflection of the Knights juniors IMO.

If you want to talk about up and coming juniors have a look at Nth Qld. :)

roopy

Referee
roopy said:
Jenkinson - Mathews
Tremain-Cannon - Flegg and Premier League
Richardson - Mathews
McGuire - Mathews
Mullen - SG Ball
Hlad - SG Ball and Flegg
Tilse - Premier League
Andriessen - SG Ball and Flegg

Bench from;
Dormand - prop from Ball and Flegg
Taufua - prop from Ball and Flegg
Tupou - lock from Flegg
Barton, Burraston, Walsh, Dureau, Dickson, McLouglin, Mercer, Worth, Young, all of whom are either rep players, playing above their grades, or just close to the best in their sides.

A few months down the track I'd make a few changes.

Jenkinson - Mathews
Hartman - Flegg
Richardson - Mathews
McGuire - Mathews
Mullen - SG Ball
Hlad - SG Ball and Flegg
Tilse - Premier League
Taufua - SG Ball and Flegg

Bench from;
Mercer - lock from Flegg and Premier League
Andriessen - prop from Ball and Flegg
White - Prop from Flegg and premier league

roopy

Referee
My opinion has changed on a lot of those guys - I'd definately rate Briggs a lot lower and guys like Hinton and Barton a lot higher.

Latest posts