What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My solutions to this rabble

Sonic Star

Juniors
I've said all this before and I'll say it again.

JT if you reading pay attention ;)

Halves
You need these players to play in the one position for the entire game.
There is no point in starting someone at hooker for 30 mins and than moving him to half back or lock for the rest of the game. Wing needs to be out there for the full 80.
So does Sandow.

Best way to make it happen is to put them both in the halves.
You will have stability instead of this musical chairs garbage we have now.
Some will say but Wing plays his best footy at hooker. Well he's only playing there for a short period of the game and than moved out of that position.

6.Wing - for full 80min
7.Sandow - for full 80min

Hooker
JT says Issac isn't an 80 min player and that when he starts he doesn't play well.
Issac needs to be given the chance to play the full 80 mins.
Give him 2 to 3 games and see how he goes.
He's a waste of talent sitting on the bench.

9.Luke for full 80min

Lock
This leaves Sutton because he has plenty of experience in this position and he's the bigger player. The weight of South Sydney has been on his shoulders to win us games. It has resulted in him trying to hard and trying to do the impossible stuff. He still is a ball playing lock forward and if needed he can still put kicks up but only if both our 6 and 7 are under pressure. I rate him as a five-eigth but the team needs over all balance and we don't have it now.

13.Sutton

Props
We have been struggling here big time as Jason Taylor has no idea how to use them or who to use when and where.
Roy Asotasi has played his best footy with Geddes starting.
Problem is Geddes is only getting little game time at the start and at the end of the game.

Here is my solution
J Lowe, Crossman never to see first grade again. I know J Lowe has been solid this season especially in defense. But when it comes to running the ball up and making the metres he fails big time and that's what we need from him.

Geddes needs more game time as he makes good runs and is very strong in defense. Asotasi plays a hell of a lot better with Geddes softening up the middle of the ruck. You will see Roy playing his best footy instead of being out there on his own.

Gives Geddes the first 30 mins, a 20 min break and than the last 30 mins again

8.Geddes - must get at least 60 mins a game.
10.Asotasi - 65 to 80 mins a game

Second Rowers
Now I know what some must be thinking right now. We only have two prop forwards in the line up.
Well when Geddes goes off for his break. We move Luke Stuart to prop as we know he can handle the work load and defense.
He's a full 80 min player and our best forward week in week out IMO

The other second rower I would use is of course Crocker

11.Stuart - full 80min and moved to prop to replace Geddes
12.Crocker - 70 to 80min

At the moment the team is looking like this and how I would use them is above.

6.Wing
7.Sandow
8.Geddes
9.Luke
10.Asotasi
11.Stuart
12.Crocker
13.Sutton

Bench

14.Faalago
15.Pettbourne

When Stuart moves to back row you could have either Faalago or Pettybourne replacing him in the back row.
Same if you have to give Sutton or Crocker a rest. Both players would get the job.

This leaves two bench options open.
One should be a utility player.
We don't need another prop as the rest of the props we have aren't good enough and would only get very little game time only. Waste

We already have two back rowers on the bench. Don't need more as it would be a waste.

My utility player would be Luke Capewell. Can play in the halves and in the backline. Only to be used if needed. Repeat if needed. If he isn't needed he can sit the full 80 on the bench. Another option as utility player could be Beau Champion

Backs

I think probably only Best and Merritt really should keep their spots.

Talonoa, Simpson, B Lowe can all go play for Norths as far as I'm concerned. Why keep picking the same players who don't learn from their mistakes or who can't tackle.

Time to blood some new players in our team. They might not be ready for first grade but if given the chance they could go up to the next level.

1.Wesser/Webster
2.Merrett
3.Best
4.Farrall
5.Vaivai

Webster is a tiny player and could be thrown around like a rag doll but he's IMO very safe fullback and good under the high ball. I have more confidence in him under the high ball than Capewell. He's also explosive off the mark and good support player. Has speed.

Vaivai and Farrall are both our centres in the NYC. Both are very strong attacking weapons. Defense is my only concern but lets face it. The players we have there now aren't doing any better.

1.Wesser/Webster
2.Merritt
3.Best
4.Farrall
5.Vaivai
6.Wing
7.Sandow
8.Geddes
9.Luke
10.Asotasi
11.Stuart
12.Crocker
13.Sutton

14.Faalago
15.Pettyborune
16.Capewell/Champion
17.Doesn't matter only to be used if someone is injured. NYC/Norths player.

We always go bad when our last two bench options come on. When we are at our worst so why use them at all if they aren't good enough. Stick to using our main players. Dragons do this well.

Some might not agree with the backline but I would rather reward players who are playing great footy than pick players who aren't performing and who have had enough chances in first grade to perform. Team has become to comfortable as they think they won't be dropped or replaced. They need a kick in the backside.
I think the rest of the time from 6 to 15 is perfect.
The other two spots are debatable.

It's all about picking players in their correct positions and giving them correct game time.

The rest is up to JT when it comes to game plan.

Happy to debate this with anyone.

coach

Sonic I like your post.

As for Taylor listening. Well I don't think it will matter if he is or not. He will gone within 24 hours, or at least he should be.

Get a new caoch and you have solved one problem. Then you move on to the many other problems the club has.

Sonic Star

Juniors
Thanks

As for the last bench Spot. I would use J Lowe as the Norths player.

But I wouldn't use him on the field. I would only use him if Geddes,Asotasi or Stuart gets injured during the game.

Having a prop on the bench like J Lowe or Crossman.
They will get very little game time.

They will be lucky to get 2 to 5 hit ups max

Their hit ups aren't first grade standard and rubbish.

We need go forward and the only props who can do it is Geddes/Asotasi/Stuart
All 3 are strong in defense.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I agree with most of your thoughts, Sonic.

I think it's taken Geddes a while to improve his fitness to be suitable for the speed of the two referee game. He seems to have done that now. I'd be careful not to allow him to get too tired, though, as errors, missed tackles and penalties will infect his game. I'd go so far as to say that Asotasi and Stuart will both be better with short rests. They are hands down 65 minute players, easily, so they can and should be used for 80 minutes when necessary. It's just about making interchanges more intelligently. Taylor has never been great at interchanges.

I think that means J Lowe is probably a necessary evil, if Greenfield is not available.

I agree with Capewell as the utility. He'd there primarily to cover any injury to the backs (putting him on the wing), but he could be used in the halves or for a short burst in dummy half. Bennett gets away with rarely using Head and he carries Nightingale (a back) on the bench too.

That said, the Bunnies could get away with no utility on the bench, considering Sutton and Wing's versatility. That'd require the addition of B Lowe or McPherson on the bench, though, to cover an injury in the backs.

As for the backs, I wouldn't necessarily dip too far into the NYC team. It's a huge step up. I'd actually like to see some of the unused 25 squad given a go.

1. Wesser (Merritt if he's injured)
2. Merritt (Talanoa/Simpson if Wesser is injured)
3. Best
4. Vai Vai
5. McQueen

6. Wing
7. Sandow

8. Geddes
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Stuart
12. Crocker
13. Sutton

14. Capewell
15. Greenfield (J Lowe if injured)
16. Pettybourne
17. Fa'alogo

Depth is surprisingly bad at Souths. There's a bit in the backrow, but prop, halfback and fullback are very shallow. You have to hope the Rabbitohs don't lose Geddes as some rumours suggest, otherwise that depth isn't going to improve.

glory glory

Juniors
Sonic I agree with most of what you say except Capewell. He can sniff a try and backed up to score 3 tonight but is absolutely clueless under kicks and in defence. Is watching the ball bounce from a kick off what you do in 1st Grade? No. He has proved that he is not up to it in every game he has played but still gets picked.

Coach I hope you are right and JT gets punted this week. That would be the only good thing to come out of the game. It is blatantly obvious the players are not putting in for him. Hand straight over to John Lang and finish the season off strong.

Dave Q

Coach
Some good points Sonic:

In terms of how we play the game, thats related to selection issues.

Some thoughts:-

We saw the Tigers last night creating way too many overlaps. They did this by clever passing, speed and switch of play.

This "up and wait" defence we have adopted allowed them the extra time to create the extra man. Far too often, Merritt was caught defending against 2 or even 3 extra men, he was without a chance. We lost our prescence of mind in defence a few times. The blind side was a war zone.

They rocketed the ball along their line, and then threw an inside pass to a big guy running an angle to the line, bang into our lightweights who were standing still, sometimes unsupported, who missed tackles or only managed to slow their progress. Arms free for the speeding Tiger and and more passing to a player backing up.

When we did come in and tackle, we struggled to contain the guy with the ball. The tigers backed their passing skills and destroyed us.

And backing up went wanting a few times tonight. At times our players were also running themselves in front of the guy with the ball. That was dissapointing.

We tried to get big man on little men. Sugar and I counted 3 or 4 of our forwards on our blind side during an attacking run against the same number of Tigers. Merrit was there at the edge, but due to our slowness at the line, he never saw it.

We missed a lot of tackles too. Someone has cited it at 35.

In theory, worst case scenario, thats 35 tries.

Our untidy grabs at players who are already beside our tackler, needs to be replaced with something more compelling, like a ball and all frontal bellringer.

And Crocker was the only player value-adding the hate and power into the tackles.

*Sutto back to lock
* Best players to spend as much time as possible on the feild
*2 new forwards
* 2 classy backs.

Geddes stats dont suggest he has much left. He was used extensively in "softening up" attack play in the past. But I remember last year. We would soften up for 60 minutes and by then the game was beyond us.

The Tigers didnt have to soften up, they used skill and speed to obliterate us.

And besides, they were up for it. We lost our focus too many times.

An especially tough night at the office for the bunnies faithful.

All the lads were devastated. No-ones burning the jersey yet, but I daresay a few supermarkets in this city are re-ordering boxes of matches this morning.

Last edited:

African Monkey

First Grade
I'm glad I missed last nights game but some of those tries that I saw from the Tigers were just unacceptable. They also gave up which was the saddest thing.

anthony barham

Juniors
What state of mind did those blokes walk on to the field last night.Tuiaki killed us round 1. Was it not mentioned pre match to get in his face. no let him score 3 in the first half . How about catching the ball from a kick off on the full., is that hard. How about wingers who stay on their wing in defense.Replacing half backs , Luke on the bench ffs Ican,t take this crap any more.I don,t care who they sack , just get someone out there who gives a f**K.

Sugar

Bench
Good points Sonic but the halves wont change this week with Wing in SOO.

Hopefully after origin we get your 6,7,9 and Sutts in the pack.

Best had a bit more room with Wing feeding him early ball and looked dangerous one on one

Sandow has to play 80 what coach benches his organiser??????
He will never learn from his mistakes,gain confidence,gain experience and hit some form sitting on the bench.

6.Wing
7.Sandow
8.Geddes
9.Luke
10.Asotasi
11.Stuart
12.Crocker
13.Sutton
^^^^^Looks good

Roy has to play more minutes,Luke has to start and JT has to quit the pre determined interchange.
The changes should be made according to flow of the game and tiredness of the players not planned out during the week.
"Ok Roy whatever the situation your coming of after 25 and Chris your having a rest after 25"= Stupidity
Chris looked good last night he was running the ball at the line and playing his natural game then benched:x:x

Kilkenny

Coach
I think my Panthers are going to be there for this taking this friday night.

No Frank Pritchard to add to the eight first graders already sideline means you guys will not get a better opportunity to get back on track.

You need to stick solid with the nucleus of your side and have confidence they can turns thing around against us. You will not get a better opportunity at home and hopefully by the time we meet again at CUA we may have a few of our stars back on deck.

If you don't manage an improved showing this Friday night and beat the Panthers then I would have to agree that it is surely time to show your coach the door.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep the Panthers put in a courageous effort to beat the Eels today, although we're going to be missing Michael Jennings and Frank Pritchard ontop of the other injured players. Trent Waterhouse is also another possibility at being picked for State of Origin.

Our defence was almost non existant today, but we managed to make up for it in attack. Jennings and Pritchard are arguably our two most dangerous attacking players... so the Souths shouldn't have as much trouble as the Eels did at stopping us.

That said i'm going to be hoping for the Souths to take atleast another week to improve their attitude. Panthers desperately need a win to keep our spot in the top 8, and if we can get a win we will actually climb up the ladder ahead of the Knights who are equal on points and F/A, but have the bye next week.

Noa

First Grade
I said at the start of the year that messing around with the Sandow/Wing combination in the halves could make or break Taylors coaching career.

Our defense out wide was shocking this week. I have never seen a side give up so many short side overlaps. Every time the Tigers got in our 20 they just wrapped a player around the back of the ruck and the short side was on. We just didn't number up at all.

For mine, the changes that need to be made are out wide. Firstly to some of the players and secondly to the defensive pattern employed. At the moment we are sitting and waiting in the middle, but playing up and in out wide. I know that sounds strange and it damn well is strange. If you sit and wait then the whole team needs to do the same and slide as well, but this is not happening. We sit and wait around the ruck but the centre's are jamming up and in out wide leaving wingers dealing with overlaps and either having to jam in as well or wait for some cover to assist.

If I were JT, I would employ the services of one Nigel Vagana to come and talk to our outside backs. He was one of the best, out wide defenders I have ever seen and he could surely teach blokes like Talanoa, Champion and Simpson a thing or two.

Ftr, a lot of people were bagging Corrigan at the beginning of the season, but I said at the time and continue to say that his defense out wide was outstanding. He may not be a great attacking option but he really did shut down one side of the field. We need him back asap.

Anyway, the changes I would make would be to sack Simpson and Talanoa. I would move Best on to one wing and leave Merritt on the other. I would have Champion and Vai Vai in the centres.

As Sonic mentioned above, I think the Sutton "experiment" has been a failure. He is under far too much pressure atm and he should be moved back to lock. 6. Wing, 7. Sandow would be my pick. 9. Luke and Falloon to the bench. As for the Forwards. Roy and Geddes to start with Crocker, Stuart and Sutton. Fa'alogo, J.Lowe (you need at least one prop on the bench imo) and Pettybourne the other bench players. At the moment I would leave Capewell at the back until Wesser returns. They are the changes I would make. My side.

1. Capewell / Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Champion
4. Vai Vai
5. Best
6. Wing
7. Sandow
8. Roy
9. Luke
10. Geddes
11. Stuart
12. Crocker
13. Sutton

14. Falloon
15. J.Lowe
16. Fa'alogo
17. Pettybourne

ironmandreamer

Juniors
Most of the contributors to this thread agree on most points but you all want to give Sandow more time on the field and cut him plenty of slack for his mistakes; well remember Capewell is only the same age and is a 5/8 playing out of position out of necessity. Just a thought out of left field, Wing at 7 and Capewell at 6? No, I don't really want to see Capewell at 6 but would like him to be given the same consideration as Sandow. I can accept all of Sandow's errors except that stupid shoulder charge he persists with. Now there is something the Coach should deal with and we shouldn't see it again. I'd drag Sandow every time he effects a shoulder charge whether it comes off or not.

Dave Q

Coach
1. Wesser
2. Merrit
3. Best
4. Webster
5. Champion

6. Wing (c)
7. Sandow

8. Eddie
9. Luke
10. Geddes

11. Asotasi
12. Crocker

13. Sutton

14. Capewell
15. Falloon
16. L Stuart
17. J Lowe/Simpson*

*one to be omitted

Frog and Tulz have to be dropped.

Last edited:
I agree Sonic,Frog now has to be benched.Im also inclined to put Luke Stuart to the bench,with Pettybourne starting.

Sonic Star

Juniors
1. Wesser
2. Merrit
3. Best
4. Webster
5. Champion

6. Wing (c)
7. Sandow

8. Eddie
9. Luke
10. Geddes

11. Asotasi
12. Crocker

13. Sutton

14. Capewell
15. Falloon
16. L Stuart
17. J Lowe/Simpson*

*one to be omitted

Frog and Tulz have to be dropped.

Mate i think you have Webster mixed up with someone.

Webster is the smallest player in our NYC team. I think he's the smallest player in the whole NYC league. He's a fullback or plays half back when needed.

Maybe you're thinking of Vaivai or Farrell