What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

myths, surprises, and the best players in the world cup

cb4

First Grade
the biggest myth is leon pryce.... enough said

the second biggest myth... the english forward pack
talked up but couldnt deliver sh*t

surprises... not teams for me, but aussies players not playing in the big leagues, and playing for other countries

guys like damien blanch, jason chan and knightingale from png, all playing top footy

another surprise for me has been the form of toops, pulled in, mocked for getting a spot, but playing real well, glad he got a shot

best player in the cup... billy slater, the guy is on fire
has to be the golden boot winner for sure!

westie

Bench
On the few occasions the English pack got into their natural game they were each making 10+ meters a run. Quite simply, if we played under their rules we couldn't compete, just like they can't under ours.

typicalfan

Coach
On the few occasions the English pack got into their natural game they were each making 10+ meters a run. Quite simply, if we played under their rules we couldn't compete, just like they can't under ours.
these are international rules, not NRL rules, the English struggled because they had a poor backline, the forwards were fairly good, guys like Graham, Purdham, Higham and Westwood were real finds. But the entire backline went missing and it has nothing to do with the rules.

typicalfan

Coach
i really liked the Lock for PNG his name escapes me, but his game v England was outstanding. Billy Slater player of the tournament followed by Thurston

JW

Coach
Westie, mate, they're Rugby League rules.

But the Roos would spank a team like England under Korfball rules - it makes little difference in their case.

Honestly, after countless years of mediocraty it's high time the Poms stop deluding themselves about their Rugby League abilities and start working on real solutions on how to stop themselves from being so incredibly sh*t.

Biggest myth and pretender of the Cup and of the last 3 decades - England.

Best player - Slater's in a huge purple patch at the moment.

Surprises - Some of the lesser known outside backs from the island nations. A few of those guys who are unsinged in the big time could be looking a contract pretty soon.

Yeah Leon Price is a joke, might be Leuluai's cousin, I reckon James Graham is my player of the tournament mate that guys is an ox, ginga or not I wish he was wearing black and white! Biggest surprise for me is how far behind SL really is, not only did they never really look like beatin NZ in either game even when they were 20 odd points in front, and even as a 1 eyed kiwi some of our guys cant even make starting sides in the NRL, but also how a player as devastating as Adrian Morley, who when in the NRL was a running freight train, can be as effective as a free water promotion in a pub full of Ozzies, within the space of 2 or 3 seasons, huge uppercut for Northern Hemisphere footy.

typicalfan

Coach
typical fan, the rules were the NRL interpretation for ost of the English games...
its the worst excuse of bad excuses, Australia were allowed to dictate the pace of the game, which the better teams often do, A lot of people are dreaming that a ESL based ref could do much different, Australia are good at slowing the play the ball down, England arent. England play a style of game that the NRL tried to move away from 4-5 years ago, where dominant tackles arent duly rewarded with more time to play the ball so players as soon as their tackled drop and play the ball.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
England don't know how to wrestle, Aust and NZ do and the Sth Hemisphere refs allow this. Therefore this is how the PTB is slowed down.

typicalfan

Coach
Klein allowed it as well, if anything Southern refs are more aware of it, a Northern one would be blind to it

Perth Red

Post Whore
The wrestling ability of NZ was evident in comparison to England's ability to control the ruck. I fear that we will now see all the Sl clubs going out and employing wrestling coaches!

typicalfan

Coach
I hate dummy half runs up the middle just as much when they do it all the time. Australia have more, and better backline plays so surely our style of play suits a more expansive game, the wrestling might fade when the interchange drops again

salivor

First Grade

Lol what a load of crap. Not a single English player would make a full strength Australian squad. Even for the Kiwis Manu Vatuvai would be the only bloke who could maybe jag a spot on the wing. Playing under SH refs didn't help England but it wouldn't matter where it was played, under which ref or which set of rules, Australia would steam roll over the English every day of the week. The gap between the 2 nations is as big as it's ever been right now.

Charlie124

First Grade
Myths: England - i don't know how they were considered to be Australia's number 1 threat ahead of NZ, not one of their players would make the Australian defensive line nervous (if they made it to the defensive line with the ball still in hand that is). NZ were always going to be our only opposition in this comp, i hope they make a good game of the final.

Surprises: PNG, Ireland - both teams went a lot better than i thought they would going into this comp and if not for a few terrible refereeing decisions in the PNG V ENG game, we could/should have seen PNG finish the pool rounds ahead of England to further humiliate the poms (like they needed that!!)

Azkatro

First Grade
England's backline has to be one of the worst "big team" International backlines in memory. Paul Wellens is too old, slow and error-prone. Mark Calderwood is fast but has less ticker than my 7 month old daughter. Keith Senior and Mark Gleeson are capable defenders but in attack they are two or three classes below the best. Ade Gardner just went to pieces wearing the England jersey nearly every time he got near the ball or was asked to defend his line.

VonVolks

Juniors
England's backs were a tragedy. Also our kicking = fail

I was very surprised and impressed with how well Ireland did as I was not expecting it at all.

I thought Fiji did very well, and played good & passionate football for 80 minutes v the Aussies, who have been on fire in every game I have seen them in.

westie

Bench
England struggled in the backs because they don't use their backs!

They go through the middle ala WT in 2005. Check out Peacock's article admitting as much. The strange thing is he promotes joining up with our ruck rules instead of telling the SH teams they have to play under their rules in the 4N and presumable 2013 WC.

If we played their rules, blokes like Smith, Price et al would not only be ineffective, they probably wouldn't be selected in favour of quick hookers like Farah and damaging, fast backrowers like O'Donnell etc. Smith would be penalised every single time he made a tackle.

dibviking

Juniors
myth- Australian rugby league fans! is there any? ive only seen NZ, and other lesser nations fans and a sh1t load of English fans who aint afraid to put their hands in their pocket and go to games.

Last edited:

Latest posts