What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nafe - Gone !!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Can someone please post something negative about him (maybe poor attitude, lazy trainer, chronically injury-prone??) to make this news easier to understand?

He's 20 and has been in the public eye for 3 years as an NYC player, if he was that good wouldn't he have played first grade by now??

:sarcasm:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Clearly I was just playing devil's advocate above.....but if the decision has been made that Mara is ahead of him in the pecking order, it makes sense for everyone that he leaves.

If he's as awesome as everyone thinks there's no point him hanging around as a depth/squad player.

Micistm

Bench
Allen Mac mentioned it on Radio sport about 30 minutes ago.

Bad decision by Warriors - he should have been a priority re- signing

This remains my big issue with the Warriors, and has since the Ali fiasco years ago.
They let great players (and great young players destined to be good) go and sign up Aussie hand me downs:?

I can't for the life of me work out the reasoning. Of course we can't keep em all, but we let a damn sight more go than we should, then waste cap on journeymen. It is strange.

Rich102

Staff member
According to Peter Brown, besides Mark Ioane, Charlie Gubb and Daniel Palavi are looking for new clubs next year, along with hooker Jarome Kutia. As well Mike Afioga has signed with Redcliffe along with Malo Solomona.

RLW issue of Sept 15.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Bit of overreaction here I say. I doubt the Warriors didn't offer the him the same money as Penrith if not more, I'd just day that Penrith pretty much said he will get a bench spot at least next season for them. And he knows Mara and Heramaia are in front of him here so not much you can do about it really unless you wanted to offer him substantially more money to keep him here and he plays a few games in FG next year and then MAYBE moves into a bench spot the year after.

MKEB...

Staff member
I am guessing the hooking pecking order will end up being, Heremaia, Mara and Elijah Taylor.

The question is, who would you rather let go...Taylor or Nafe?

Juju

Juniors
I am guessing the hooking pecking order will end up being, Heremaia, Mara and Elijah Taylor.

The question is, who would you rather let go...Taylor or Nafe?

To me this decision points more to Locke to FB with Fish as cover.
Heremia and Hohia as hookers???

Nafe would surely be ahead of Taylor in the hooker ranks...

One Warrior

Bench
To me this decision points more to Locke to FB with Fish as cover.
Heremia and Hohia as hookers???

Nafe would surely be ahead of Taylor in the hooker ranks...

This. Cleary said on 40/20 that he sees Locke as a Fullback. Also heard Alan Mac on Radisport say that Warriors are now pretty happy with their propping stocks given that Matulino and Lillyman have gone well there and that their priority recruiting target is a quality centre.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd say it'd be more Nafe's decision more than anything. Good opportunity for him and lucky panthers fans, a Iosefa / Seluini combinations gonna be lethal. We should still be happy with Heremaia, Mara and Godinet. He's got a good attitude and his talent is obvious, good luck to him and continue the Kiwi league uprising!

What about Kingston? He's been outstanding in 2010, 3 into 2 won't go...

Iafeta

Referee
sh*t yes....

He was awarded the Warriors U20 player of the year this week..

Huge over reaction Feddie..

This.

The bloke was the best junior coming through, and we screwed it up. That's all there is to it, really. We stuffed up in our recruitment systems. We need to do a Brisbane and see these types of players into first grade, not shipped off shore. Even the whole John Ackland comment that he helped Mark Ioane going to Canberra is a nonsense approach.

Iafeta

Referee
What about Kingston? He's been outstanding in 2010, 3 into 2 won't go...

Right on. So Nafe was in the same situation at the Warriors. They either offered a truckload of dough which I doubt they would off a guy who is yet to debut in first grade, or we simply didn't manage our interest appropriately. He should have been in the top list of priorities, before they looked at resigning blokes like Lillyman.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Eddie is on the money

It's pretty easy to overrate players who star in NYC, especially when they've been playing it 2 or 3 years and are playing younger kids. Most of the REAL guns are out of NYC while they're still eligible to play it anyway.

At the end of the day we've lost our 3rd (at best) string hooker.....

I hope he goes on to be a gun, and he might, but as it stands it's not like we've lost a superstar. More like, we've lost a young player who was 3rd in the pecking order and unable to graduate to first grade. Pretty standard stuff.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
It's how the system works. it's a bit like doing your big OE - you go out in the world, you learn stuff...AND THEN YOU BRING IT ALL BACK HOME!!! not always but the potential is there for nafe to return, grown & ready to put a stake in the ground for a position in the FG team (in the best of all worlds anyway). Personally I think it's a stuff up - the guy could play anywhere in the backs & make an impact I reckon.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
And while I'm thinking about it - you guys are going to see a huge development of Elijah niko in the next 12 months under Storm & Bellamy. if Elijah makes the most of the opportunity attitude-wise he will be working hard & could/will step up a couple of levels

AliN

Live Update Team
It's how the system works. it's a bit like doing your big OE - you go out in the world, you learn stuff...AND THEN YOU BRING IT ALL BACK HOME!!! not always but the potential is there for nafe to return, grown & ready to put a stake in the ground for a position in the FG team (in the best of all worlds anyway). Personally I think it's a stuff up - the guy could play anywhere in the backs & make an impact I reckon.

yes I agree, a stuff up ..

Seti

Juniors
This is odd. Steve Deane usually has his ear close to the ground. Only a month ago -

"Among the next signings will be those promoted from the under-20 ranks. Fullback Glen Fisiiahi, outside back Ivan Penehe, back rower Matt Robinson and hooker Nafe Seluini are likely to be added to next year's squad."

I'll check with my media contact.