What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name Your Best World 17 When All Players Are Fit

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
Keiron Cunningham :lol: :lol: :lol:

EASILY the best hooker in the world until his injury against New Zealand. He's done for now because his body is battered and he will retire early, but at his peak there was not a player within a thousand miles of him.

You Aussies certainly live up to the national stereotype don't you, each as arrogant as its possible to be.

Paul Sculthorpe and Stuart Fielden would be certs for a team like this, there is not a player in the NRL who can match them.

DIEHARD

----
Fairleigh Good! said:
You Aussies certainly live up to the national stereotype don't you, each as arrogant as its possible to be.

:D :D :D

So what does the new Tri Nations trophy look like? How big will it be?

We need to make some room in our overflowing trophy cabinet.

miketyson

Juniors
Kris_man said:
i see Porkypine's point: there's little Sonny Bill has done this year that Anthony Tupou hasn't, apart from some mean shoulder charges in defence. That's enough for me to say that yeah, Sonny Bill is better, but not enough for me to say there's a big difference between them IMO: Sonny Bill first, Anthony Tupou a close second.

You are kidding?

tupou has nowhere have near the ball skills that sbw has ..

doesen't have the football iq .. backing up/positional play etc ..

sanjane

Juniors
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Anthony Minichello
3. Keith Senior
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Lesley Vainikailo
6. Paul Deacon (gk1)
7. Andrew Johns (gk2)
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Shane Webcke
11. Craig Fitzgibbon (gk4)
12. Ruben Wiki (c)
13. Andrew Farell (vc) (gk3)

14. Willie Mason
15. Tony Puletua
16. Barrie McDermott
17. Sonny Bill Williams

Tommy Smith

Referee
miketyson said:
Kris_man said:
i see Porkypine's point: there's little Sonny Bill has done this year that Anthony Tupou hasn't, apart from some mean shoulder charges in defence. That's enough for me to say that yeah, Sonny Bill is better, but not enough for me to say there's a big difference between them IMO: Sonny Bill first, Anthony Tupou a close second.

You are kidding?

LOLOL That's actually one thing Tupou ahs all over Billy-Bob and any other forward for that matter. His off-loading is his great strength and reminisicent of Artie Beetson.

Johns Magic

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
miketyson said:
Kris_man said:

You are kidding?

LOLOL That's actually one thing Tupou ahs all over Billy-Bob and any other forward for that matter. His off-loading is his great strength and reminisicent of Artie Beetson.

Agreed. However SBW is still alot better than Tupou imo.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
OzBoy,
Our top players now match yours and in some cases are better! I agree we have only 5-6 real quality players but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have at least 4 or 5 in a world team....fielden,senior, faz, morley...cunningham is a certainty if he was fit.

TBH...the aussie team no longer looks bullet proof and the tri nations could prove and should prove this. I think GB will go alright for once.

The english players who could play rep standard in oz are:
Fielden - best in the world
Senior - Exceptional centre
Faz - Now a fantastic prop!
Morley - Excellent
Cunningham - If fit, no one gets ner him!!!!!!!!!!
Mcguire - looks good

Maybe paul sculphorpe but not convinced he would be a massive success like the others.

However, ive heard other names mention who would not get near to being a sucess:
Danny Sculphorpe - :lol: not mobile and makes loads of mistakes!!! Makes good passes but such a liability
Radlinski - not the player he was. Not as solid anymore and gets stepped all the time
Deacon - :lol: can only kick...no where near international class
McDermott - he was excellent in 1994 (ask siro) but an average squad player now
Robbie Paul - are you serious? he looks like the bulls worst player, he's a weak link.
Terry O'connor - only played rep cos our props were poor for years...not good enough for wigan.

miketyson

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
miketyson said:
Kris_man said:

You are kidding?

Don't agree..

I think sbw offloads are alot more selective ..

Maybe tupou with quantity , But the quality is deffo sbw

Tommy Smith

Referee
miketyson said:
Tommy Smith said:
miketyson said:
Kris_man said:

You are kidding?

Don't agree..

I'll disagree on why you disagree. The thing that has been most impressive about Tupou's off-loading is his selectiveness. Unlike a Solomona that has come onto the scene, he showed great selectiveness from the start with his off-laods.

Sonny-Bill has also impressed me with the same thing mind you.

Im not denying that Sonny-Bill is the better player, and theses certainly no shame in that because Toops is way ahead of the other young forwards around too, but when it comes to off-loading that is an area Tupou has over Billy-Bob....IMO :D

nickdraperfto

Juniors
Yes buderus is a good solid hooker but i believe cunningham is better. It's frustrating for me to say this as the guy never seem to play against the aussies through injury, so its hard for me suggest his name but beleiev me if he overcomes injury (he'll always be inuury prone :( ), he is pure class.

Problem is he will always pick up injuries as the season progresses as that is the type of player he is and subsequently requires the off season to rectify them.

borat

Bench
1. Llestyn Harris
2. Vanikolo
3. Vagana
4. Senior
5. Minichello
6. Lockyer
7. Johns
8. Stuart Fieldon
9. Buderus
10. Ryles
11. Farrell
12. Wiki
13. Fitzgibbon

14. SBW
15. Mason
16. Morley
17. Gower

Broncodroid

Juniors
I will add my team to the argument, yes, their will be a shortage of POMS for the simple fact they are not good enough to earn a spot in my team when I have a host of Australian players to pick from as well as some NZ'ers worthy of a spot. The one exception to the rule is a player plying his trade in the toughest competition of them all:

1. Anthony Minichello - (Syd, Aus)
2. Timana Tahu - (Par, Aus)
3. Nigel Vagana - (Cro, NZ)
4. Mark Gasnier - (Stg, Aus)
5. Lesley Vanikolo (Brad, NZ)
6. Darren Lockyer - (Bris, Aus)
7. Andrew Johns (c) - (New, Aus)
8. Shane Webcke - (Bris, Aus)
9. Danny Buderus - (New, Aus)
10. Paul Rauhihi - (NQ, NZ)
11. Nathan Hindmarsh - (Par, Aus)
12. Craig Fitzgibbon - (Syd, Aus)
13. Ben Kennedy - (Man, Aus)

14. Craig Wing (Syd, Aus)
15. Steve Price (NZ, Aus)
16. Willie Mason - (Cant, Aus)
17. Adrian Morley - (Syd, Eng)

miketyson

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
miketyson said:
Tommy Smith said:
miketyson said:
Kris_man said:

You are kidding?

Don't agree..

I'll disagree on why you disagree. The thing that has been most impressive about Tupou's off-loading is his selectiveness. Unlike a Solomona that has come onto the scene, he showed great selectiveness from the start with his off-laods.

Sonny-Bill has also impressed me with the same thing mind you.

Im not denying that Sonny-Bill is the better player, and theses certainly no shame in that because Toops is way ahead of the other young forwards around too, but when it comes to off-loading that is an area Tupou has over Billy-Bob....IMO :D

Well we can agree to dis-agree ... 8)

I think .. :?

damo72

Juniors
The whole idea is to name YOUR best world 17, everyone has a different opinion to each other so no matter what your comments are regarding a player it isn't going to change their mind. Some of you should consider that people don't always agree with you and they don't deserve to get bagged because they picked someone over your apparent best player in that position

nickdraperfto

Juniors
I thought this is supposed to be a discussion. ppl dont always agree your right but who is getting 'bagged'? Did you really take offence to my suggestion that bronco's opinions will change after the tri-nations, after all i was only expressing my opinion and i dont deserve to get bagged :D

Kris_man

Bench
nickdraperfto said:
OzBoy,
Our top players now match yours and in some cases are better! I agree we have only 5-6 real quality players but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have at least 4 or 5 in a world team....fielden,senior, faz, morley...cunningham is a certainty if he was fit.

TBH...the aussie team no longer looks bullet proof and the tri nations could prove and should prove this. I think GB will go alright for once.

The english players who could play rep standard in oz are:
Fielden - best in the world
Senior - Exceptional centre
Faz - Now a fantastic prop!
Morley - Excellent
Cunningham - If fit, no one gets ner him!!!!!!!!!!
Mcguire - looks good

Maybe paul sculphorpe but not convinced he would be a massive success like the others.

However, ive heard other names mention who would not get near to being a sucess:
Danny Sculphorpe - :lol: not mobile and makes loads of mistakes!!! Makes good passes but such a liability
Radlinski - not the player he was. Not as solid anymore and gets stepped all the time
Deacon - :lol: can only kick...no where near international class
McDermott - he was excellent in 1994 (ask siro) but an average squad player now
Robbie Paul - are you serious? he looks like the bulls worst player, he's a weak link.
Terry O'connor - only played rep cos our props were poor for years...not good enough for wigan.

first of all, i think that's a very fair post. its good to have someone commenting on the English players who actually knows what they're talking about. but i am gonna carve it up a bit, just for a bit of fun:

"Fielden - best in the world" - best Pommy player in the world, maybe. best player in the world, nup.
"Senior - Exceptional centre" - so are Tonga and Berrigan
"Faz - Now a fantastic prop!" - don't even know who this guy is, and i'm sure after the tri-series nothing will change :lol:
"Morley - Excellent" excellent at the old stiff arm to the head, yes.
"Cunningham - If fit, no one gets ner him!!!!!!!!!!" - i think you're getting him mixed up with Andrew Johns
"Mcguire - looks good" - so does Craig Wing.