What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your \"hard bastard\" 17 of all time

legend

Coach
Willow, are you talking about Jim Cody from Western Suburbs? If so, his daughter sits right next to me at work.

I thought Kevin Ward and Dean Lance were very tough. Dean Lance once dislocated some poor buggers hip he hit him that hard.

Ruben Wiki and Adrian Morley are the two toughest blokes in the NRL these days.

Marc Glanville was also hard. Geoff Bagnell was a nut (more of a thug though)

I also though Wally was pretty tough.

Toughest ever would have to be Crossan from Cronulla.

JJ

Immortal
Piggins and Fenech are certainly both tough - another hooker is Royce Simmons - if you saw the SOO game where he was knocked out and then won man of the match - there's no doubt that was tough!!!

Kevin Ward was certainly a very tough Pom - as was Mal Reilly.

Peter Kelly was another real enforcer. Maybe with Les Davidson and Mario the last of the breed. Hard to know, like I said before, fine line between tough and dirty. People like Wiki, Campion, Webcke, are very tough without being dirty - whereas Les Boyd clearly crossed that line, for mine.

Paul Vautin is not too popular here, but was a tough bugger - he played on in the 86 origin match when everyone else was being carried off.

Lewis in the world cup final was special, as must have been Sattler in the grand final.

Anonymous

Juniors
legend said:
Willow, are you talking about Jim Cody from Western Suburbs? If so, his daughter sits right next to me at work.
That'll be him.
I understand he took out Norm Provan in one GF but Billy Wilson and Kevin Ryan (I think) got revenge on Cody in the second half. There was a big hoo har in the press about how tough the match was with some 'inventive' tackling. LOL.
I'd have to look it up but I'm sure Jim Cody knows more about it.
:D

CliffyGC

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
He did play on with the jaw ..... but he didn't last too long with that busted Jatz Cracker. :shock:
i think he was shocked that he actually had a set of nads, hes never played like he had balls

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I dug up this ancient thread thinking about my post in "Remember When"

Can't think of any current player that would last five minutes back in the day when most of these dudes mentioned played to the rules back then.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
f**ken oath.

But i f**ken reckon the f**ken blokes mentioned in this f**ken thread wouldn't have lasted five f**ken minutes in the f**ken 70s.

And the hard merkins of the f**ken 70s wouldn't have lasted five f**ken minutes in the f**ken 50s

And those hard merkins from the 50s wouldn't have lasted five f**ken minutes in the f**ken 30s.

And those hard merkins from the 30s wouldn't have lasted five f**ken minutes in the f**ken 10s.

f**ken hard yeah!!!

legs 11

Juniors
to me a tough bastard today, is anyone who plays 80 minutes and doesn't shave their legs.....not many round these days...

Spot On

Coach
I dug up this ancient thread thinking about my post in "Remember When"

Can't think of any current player that would last five minutes back in the day when most of these dudes mentioned played to the rules back then.

So what, Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday wouldn't match it with the hard heads of the past by running in and throwing a few 'hard' words and then running away???

Surely a Hodges head pat would scare a few of the past hard bastards?

Exsilium

First Grade
Players now are heavier, faster, more atheletic and play under duress most games. Comparing them to pie eating fat merkins who consider "knocking ya block off" a right of passage and spent more time learning from picture books because of all their damaged cells is drawing a long bow.

What "hard bastard" from the 70's would cut it with the modern day game without needed bypass and a flow chart on how to play the game.

Exsilium

First Grade
Don't know if he was a hard bastard but Bob Fulton would be a star today

Was a good player. Shame he tried administration post footy. Could have been remembered as a great player and not a great destroyer of all things good.

DiegoNT

First Grade
2 things to consider when comparing the 'toughness' of players from different eras.

One is that they are fitter, faster, stronger, more athletic. Most wingers today are bigger then props from the 80s.

The second thing is the old 'They wouldn't survive under the old rules'. How do we know that for sure. Many of today's players do well at boxing. How do we know they wouldn't actually love being able to throw a few and have a softening up period where they had more leeway