What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your \"hard bastard\" 17 of all time

King hit

Coach
Was a good player. Shame he tried administration post footy. Could have been remembered as a great player and not a great destroyer of all things good.

Not Fulton related but with conparasions with eras I just remembered this. I read 'never before never again' about the 11 straight premierships St George won and one of the chapters made a comparasion with them and the modern day teams.

The rules were different but St George's fitness regimes put them ahead of everyone and would be useful today. They also had a lot of thinking men and if you got them to learn the rules of today they would be easily able to mix it.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I dare say the players from parts of the 20's, the 40's, and parts of the 50's would be the toughest. Many would've been vets from World War 1 and World War 2. If that doesn't breed toughness, I dont know what does.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Players now are heavier, faster, more atheletic and play under duress most games. Comparing them to pie eating fat merkins who consider "knocking ya block off" a right of passage and spent more time learning from picture books because of all their damaged cells is drawing a long bow.

What "hard bastard" from the 70's would cut it with the modern day game without needed bypass and a flow chart on how to play the game.

More pure footy players from that era up till early 00's. Todays players are overcoached, and mollycoddled. I think that is why I like to watch Canberra. May not be the best team on paper but at least they play what is in front of them.

But agree, you dont make grade nrl (or older versions) unless you are tough.

gregstar

Referee
across all codes.

17 x

crying1.jpg

end discussion.

Pedge1971

First Grade
2 things to consider when comparing the 'toughness' of players from different eras.

One is that they are fitter, faster, stronger, more athletic. Most wingers today are bigger then props from the 80s.

The second thing is the old 'They wouldn't survive under the old rules'. How do we know that for sure. Many of today's players do well at boxing. How do we know they wouldn't actually love being able to throw a few and have a softening up period where they had more leeway

Hence why you cannot compare eras.

OVP

Coach
How in God's name did this thread get resurrected at all ?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by OVP, Sep 24, 2003.

If you click on the link to the oldest threads in the forum
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/forums/nrl.71/page-1702
it only goes back to Jan 2005. And when you click on each thread on that page, there is nothing in there. No posts at all.
When you search, all searches only go back to 2005

So how the hell did you get a thread from 2003 to appear, and intact as well ??

soc123_au

Staff member
Peter Wallace would hold his own in this company. Origin match with a ruptured nut & about 50 minutes on a ruptured ACL. I cant recall too many games he has not finished. Not a grub either.

Life's Good

Coach
Already mentioned but Ron Gibbs & Ian Roberts for mine. Gibbs because he was nuts. As for Roberts I reckon he was sledged but just keep his head down (except THAT Garry Jack moment). As someone mentioned in The Fight Club, the flogging he gave Jack was enough for his sons to take up AFL. One tough mofo.
Special mention for Webcke, busted arm in 2000 GF but you wouldn't have known.

King hit

Coach
He sat forwards on their arse 1:1 as well.

Queue Brisbane fans coming in and talking up Locky and JT.....

It's why I rate Johns as the greatest I've ever seen. For all the attacking and kicking he had bone crunching defence and could make 30 tackles a game in the front line. Something JT and Locky couldn't do.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Already mentioned but Ron Gibbs & Ian Roberts for mine. Gibbs because he was nuts. As for Roberts I reckon he was sledged but just keep his head down (except THAT Garry Jack moment). As someone mentioned in The Fight Club, the flogging he gave Jack was enough for his sons to take up AFL. One tough mofo.
Special mention for Webcke, busted arm in 2000 GF but you wouldn't have known.

Anyone in that 1989(?) Souths pack. Andrews, Roberts, Chisholm, Davidson, Boyle, Fenech. There wasnt much finesse there but in an era when you had the Dogs and Balmain packs they brutalised teams.

There was also a pretty underrated Knights pack around at the time. From memory McKiernen, Boyd, Glanville, Stewart, Butterfield, MacCormack. They didnt win many bit most teams that went up to Newcastle generally came away pretty sore and got rolled the following week. The club was pretty much built on these blokes which is why it is so sad now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who I've seen play the game over my 35 years of watching it my top 5:
Adrian Morley
Mark broadhurst
Kevin ward
Phil Lowe
Kurt Sorensen

Special mention to a more modern player in Barrie McDermott who loved the biff
, especially against the kangaroos, and played his career with one eye which is Pretty amazing!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Who I've seen play the game over my 35 years of watching it my top 5:
Adrian Morley
Mark broadhurst
Kevin ward
Phil Lowe
Kurt Sorensen

Special mention to a more modern player in Barrie McDermott who loved the biff
, especially against the kangaroos, and played his career with one eye which is Pretty amazing!

Nice troll.