What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your team for 2012

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'll have a crack at ours.

Locke
Tupou
Inu
Ropati
Vatuvei
Maloney
Johnson
Packer
Friend
Matulino
Mateo
Mannering
Luck

Brown
Rapira
Lilyman
Rapira. Steve

Mara
Tai'i
Taylor
Hurrell
Lousi
Godinet
Gavet
The Fish
John (probably leaving)
Then take your pick from a few under 20's

I dont think the top 25 if too far off the mark but i think Furner will give the following 17 every chance to be the top squad

1. Dugan 2. Fergo 3. Croker 4. Berrigan 5. Quinn 6. Campese 7. Williams 8. Shillington 9. Waddell 10. White 11. Papalii 12. Thompson 13. Fensom

14. McCrone 15. TLL 16. Tilse 17. Mataora

Harrison was on the nose last year and with some decent outside backs JT could move into the forwards, Pap and Mataora were in the side every chance Furner got in the backend and rightly so and all my joey picker bias aside, if there is one bloke who rates him as highly as i do, its Furner so i recon he might be ahead of Harrison on the pecking order too.

Given our flimsy defense outwide, if Berrigan comes, big part of that might be trying shore up some centre play and i think given Buttriss didnt even come close to nailing down the hooker role this year, Waddell with a strong pre season will get the nod but i expect by the end of the year McIllwrick will be in challenging for a spot

I cannot see Waddell starting ahead of Buttriss, nor do I see Williams starting ahead of McCrone and TBH who can debate that?

Harrison will start next season. He had a rough 2011, but I am sure, with a full pre-season under his belt, free of rep duties and well aware of his dismal year, he'll come back bigger and better in 2012. When on song, he is one of the best second-rowers in the game, and we witnessed that in 2009 and 2010.

Though I have been one of Joe Picker's biggest critics in 2011, and one of Papalii's biggest fans, I would start the former ahead of Josh. Simply, for the reason that Picker plays his best when starting and Papalii is at his best when being played on the right. The same could be said for Joe, as I have said for Bronson Harrison. A tough season, but we all know how damaging he can be at his best. With the return of Campo, I'm sure we will see the return of Picker's best.

I can see us signing Berrigan, while either one of Robinson, Quinn or Tupou will start in the number 5 shirt. I'll assume we sign the latter, as he is the one we are being most linked with:

1. Dugan
2. Ferguson
3. Croker
4. Thompson
5. Tupou
6. Campese
7. McCrone
8. White
9. Buttriss
10. Shillington
11. J. Picker
12. Harrison
13. Fensom

14. Berrigan
15. Papalii
16. Tilse
17. Learoyd-Lahrs

18. Thurling
19. Robinson
20. Williams
21. Mataora
22. Waddell
23. Massey
24. Low
25. Ioane

By maintaining Thompson in the centres and possessing Berrigan on the bench, we can move the latter into right centre to accommodate a move for Thompson into the second row. Or we can utilise Berrigan in the dummy-half.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
1. B. Stewart
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. D. Williams
6. Foran
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. King
11. Watmough
12. T. Williams
13. G. Stewart

14. Buhrer
15. Lussick
16. Galuvao
17. Rose

18. Farrar
19. Mauro
20. Robinson
21. Whare
22. Cunningham
23. Riccardi
24. Harrison
25. Stromquist, L. Foran, Palau, or Seu Seu (although I think he may be gone next year)
Yeah, Terrence is going to Salford.

MisterLove

Juniors
Not holding my breath. Hodkinson really needs to stand up this year, hopefully we get a bit more out of Lafai and Morris aswell, Idris went missing this year

1. B. Stewart
2. Oldfield
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. D. Williams
6. Foran
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. King
11. Watmough
12. T. Williams
13. G. Stewart

14. Buhrer
15. Lussick
16. Galuvao
17. Rose

18. Farrar
19. Mauro
20. Robinson
21. Whare
22. Cunningham
23. Riccardi
24. Harrison
25. Stromquist, L. Foran, Palau, or Seu Seu (although I think he may be gone next year)

The mighty eagles squad looks strong again!.. Farrar was very handy for us can cover anywhere in backs would be a bit worried if the halves get hurt although riccardi looks the goods and the forwards look just as strong again... Any confirmation on the bulldogs 2nd rower we have apparently signed ma'afu is it? I haven't seen him play.

Raider_69

Post Whore
nor do I see Williams starting ahead of McCrone and TBH who can debate that?

Try starting with anyone who has a brain and watched the canberra raiders.

If you want to know why we ended up where we were this year, its because our #1 play maker was Josh McCrone, who whilst he has a dangerous running game is completely incapible of setting up his outside men, lacks the ability to control a game as a half, has a WOEFUL long kicking game, is a terrible organiser... you might notice those are pretty much the 4 main things you want out of half, if we learnt just one thing from 2011, it is surely that Josh McCrone is not capible of being depended apon as a half.

Williams was frankly, given the way his pack played and how young he is, and that he wasnt really prepared to play that many FG games, outstanding. And is easily the club's best #7. He should start if those in the coaching room wish to succeed this year.

If you think Campese/McCrone is a better 5/8th - Half combination than Campese/Williams, then you've got rocks in your head

As for Waddell, i agree its hard to see how he starts ahead of butts right now, but Furner has never stuck with butts and the reason for that is he's stone cold average, he's not good or bad, just solid. Waddell with a strong pre season will find it very easy to convince furner to go with potential game breaking talent, over solidness... but its all up to Waddell to show us what he showed us early in his career in 20's and FG

MSIH

Bench
Silly silly lol...looks like we dont lose much at all losing hoppa...wish robbo was staying though.

Nearly as silly as the Canberra fan earlier in the year that said he was the worst player in the comp.

azzah72

Bench
Seriously no Idea. We are apparently still to sign 2-3 people but knowing us we wont get any.

Let make a team based on rumour.

1. N.Gardener
2. J.Williams
3. C. Best
4. T. Williams :crazy:
5. K.Inu :crazy:

6. T.Carney :crazy:
7. C.Townsend

8. B.Ross
9. J.Morris
10. B.Gibbs

11. J.Smith
12. P.Gallen
13. W.Graham

14. A.Tupou
15. A.Fifita
16. S.Tagatese
17. I.De Gois

In the likely circumstances these signings do not happen, throw in Pommeroy, Kelly & Mills I guess.

hitman82

Bench
I notice no Warriors fans picking Omar Slaimankhel for first grade. You think he will be kept in the juniors another year or two? He is only 19, but I rate him a very good chance of playing first grade next year as a winger or centre.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I notice no Warriors fans picking Omar Slaimankhel for first grade. You think he will be kept in the juniors another year or two? He is only 19, but I rate him a very good chance of playing first grade next year as a winger or centre.

If he's still available for 20s, absolutely. I'd like to see him transformed into a centre - we can see he's not going to get the No.1 jersey. He may play a handful of games if injury strikes

1.Locke 2. Fishiiahi 3. Ropati 4. Inu 5. Vatuvei 6. Maloney 7. Johnson 8. Packer 9. Friend 10. Lillyman 11. Mannering 12. Mateo 13. Luck
Bench: 14. Brown 15. Matulino 16. Rapira Sam 17. Taylor

I think Steve Rapira can make a big play for Luck's spot, as I doubt Lucky is going to get re-signed and I think Bluey will see a lot of potential in Rapira.

hitman82

Bench
If he's still available for 20s, absolutely. I'd like to see him transformed into a centre - we can see he's not going to get the No.1 jersey. He may play a handful of games if injury strikes

1.Locke 2. Fishiiahi 3. Ropati 4. Inu 5. Vatuvei 6. Maloney 7. Johnson 8. Packer 9. Friend 10. Lillyman 11. Mannering 12. Mateo 13. Luck
Bench: 14. Brown 15. Matulino 16. Rapira Sam 17. Taylor

I think Steve Rapira can make a big play for Luck's spot, as I doubt Lucky is going to get re-signed and I think Bluey will see a lot of potential in Rapira.
I like that team, except I expect Ukuma to feature as Bluey is into aggressive forwards.

Presuming Tupou leaves of course, Fish could make a great winger if he chucks a few more kilos on his frame. He's great under the high ball and has electric speed, while not having much in the way of ball playing ability = excellent finishing winger. Locke has more finesse in his game and will always keep the fullback spot because of that.

With Omar, Meads, Tuimavavae amongst an insane amount of hugely talented juniors coming through, we will be feeding a number of NRL clubs in the next couple of years. Our first grade team is so young that we will REALLY struggle to retain many of them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best Sharks side for 2012, based on what they have now:
1 - Gardner
2 - Williams
3 - Best
4 - Mills
5 - Stapleton
6 - Graham
7 - Townsend
8 - Ross
9 - Morris
10 - Gibbs
11 - Smith
12 - Tupou
13 - Gallen

14 - Fifita
15 - Tagatese
16 - Kelly
17 - Bukuya
18 - Robson
19 - De Gois
20 - Frizell
21 - Leutele
22 - Tautai
23 - M.Wright
24 - Vave
25 - J.Wright

Try starting with anyone who has a brain and watched the canberra raiders.

If you want to know why we ended up where we were this year, its because our #1 play maker was Josh McCrone, who whilst he has a dangerous running game is completely incapible of setting up his outside men, lacks the ability to control a game as a half, has a WOEFUL long kicking game, is a terrible organiser... you might notice those are pretty much the 4 main things you want out of half, if we learnt just one thing from 2011, it is surely that Josh McCrone is not capible of being depended apon as a half.

Williams was frankly, given the way his pack played and how young he is, and that he wasnt really prepared to play that many FG games, outstanding. And is easily the club's best #7. He should start if those in the coaching room wish to succeed this year.

If you think Campese/McCrone is a better 5/8th - Half combination than Campese/Williams, then you've got rocks in your head

At this point in time, I would have no worries if McCrone or Williams started in the number 7 jersey. There is no doubt that the latter is destined for much bigger things than McCrone, but from what I saw in 2011, Macca does have the edge at the present moment.

Look at his stats for 2011, it is up there with the best. I am not saying he IS up there with the best but as our number 1 playmaker in 2011, he did do a good job. I'll be the first to admit McCrone has some concerning flaws in his game, but these are things that do not need to be required of him. Long kicking game for example. WHY ON EARTH WAS HE USED AS OUR LONG KICKER, WHEN WE HAD A PERFECTLY CAPABLE SAM WILLIAMS? Once Campese comes back, hopefully (however knowing our coach this won't occur), we shouldn't need to require our halves do undertake something they are weak in.

Why judge McCrone off the back of 2011, if it is ridiculous to judge Furner off the back of 2011?

Whoever goes into 2012 with the number 7 on his back, we shouldn't fear. I see McCrone as the ideal player for the short term, and Williams as the ideal player long term. A year at Mounties, akin to DCE, may do Sam the world of good. Look at Shaun Fensom for example. Had a taste of first grade in 2009, however for the majority of that year, he was at Souths Logan. Comes back in 2010 and 2011, and is now one of the game's leading locks.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I would say for the Eels something like this.

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Willie Tonga
4. Morgan
5. Loko
6. Roberts
7. Sandow
8. Moimoi
9. Keating
10. Mannah
11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Maitua

14. McGuire
15. Horo
16. Shackleton
17. Poore

18. Lasalo
19. Allgood
20. O'Hanlon
21. Tautai
22. Sio
23. Esi Tonga
24. Mortimor
25. Someone I've forgotten

It's all speculation though really. Ther's a lot of weaknesses in that squad but depth isn't too bad.

campbo

Juniors
I would like Penrith to go:

1. Coote
2. Simmons
3. Jennings
4. Gordon
5. Daniela/Tighe
6. Siejka
7. Walsh
8. McKendry
9. Kingston
10. Grant
11. Lewis (c)
12. Plum
13. Austin

14. Seluini
15. Armit
16. Newton
17. N.Smith

18. Daniela/Tighe
19. Burns
20. Weston
21. Ciraldo
22. Robinson
23. Vaurasi
24. J. Tia Kilifi
25. V. Tia Kilifi (my bolter)

Sean18

Juniors
1. Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Junior Sau
4. Timana Tahu
5. Aku Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Kurt Gidley (c)
8. Neville Costigan
9. Danny Buderus
10. Kade Snowden
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Joel Edwards

14. Wes Naiqama
15. Matt Hilder
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Evarn Tuimavave

18. Ryan Stig
19. Tyrone Roberts
20. Ethan Cooke
21. Zane Tetevano
22. Pete Mata'utia
23. Siutongia Likiliki
24. Marvin Filipo
25. Alex McKinnon

Last edited:

Rapture_Shark

Juniors
Cronulla- making it so we could have kelly, townsend and graham on at the same time.

1. N.Gardner
2. J.Williams
3. C.Best
4. S.Mills
5. N. Stapleton or M.Wright
6. A. Kelly
7. C.Townsend
8. B. Ross
9. J. Morris
10. P. Gallen (c)
11. J. Bakuya
12. J. Smith