What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Napa sin bin

What should the refs have done?

• Send-off

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Sin-bin

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • On report and penalty

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Scrum to roosters

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If you could strike in the play the ball to win back possession you wouldn't need these reckless big hits which invariably go wrong in an attempt to get possession when the game is winding down.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If you could strike in the play the ball to win back possession you wouldn't need these reckless big hits which invariably go wrong in an attempt to get possession when the game is winding down.
You wot?

If you could use a helicopter to fly from try line to the other you wouldn't need those reckless big tackles either.

The_Shield

Juniors
What I find amusing is that everybody complains that the bin should be used in situations like this, but now that it’s happened everybody is complaining that the bin was used.

I also find it funny the people trying to compare what Napa did with what Opacic did, Napa went flying in head first and connected with Sims head, now sure he didn’t intend to hit him like that but he did, Opacic on the other hand went for a low tackle and got his head in the wrong spot, completely different

First Grade
You wot?

If you could use a helicopter to fly from try line to the other you wouldn't need those reckless big tackles either.
They should hook up to spider cam with invisible wires and float above the ground and score, end to end magic

Generalzod

Immortal
napa.jpg
I thought it was an illegal hit, and I said so in the match day thread, It was the right decision made by the refs, players can't use their heads as weapons Nate Myles used to do this all the time in origin. Don't worry about the arms look at where the head is aiming at.

Reactions: siv

butchmcdick

Immortal
Tallis and Ben Hannant were among the many critics of the sin-binning, both labelling it ridiculous during Triple M’s coverage of the game.

Tallis was particularly scathing, saying every player was taught to tackle that way and the contact was simply accidental.

He said the call was so bad it has to be a NSW State of Origin conspiracy designed to get Napa suspended for Origin I at the MCG.

“Oh my god, that is ridiculous,” Tallis said.

“What! That is ridiculous. I’ve had enough. You have to lead with the head. When you tackle you have to have a head lean. You teach every kid that.

“They’ll suspend him for Origin. There is a conspiracy right now.

“This referee needs to be sacked. I’m serious. I promised myself never to talk about them because we need them in the game, but I don’t even want to know his name (Sutton).”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...n/news-story/0dcf8446be535bdf230d94b771b9302e

i think gordy has taken too many head knocks

f**king conspiracy

this is a grown man talking conspiracy ffs

if he’s right the nrl is in cahoots with the nswrl to try to get the ref to send off napa so he can’t play origin. Like a) nsw give a f**k if napa is there or not and b) does he have any idea how many people would be involved in a conspiracy of that magnitude?

how this knuckle dragging troglodyte f**k was qualified to sit on the nrl and cowboys board is f**king beyond me

johnny plath

Juniors
Gould thinks NOTHING is a penalty (especially when it's against the roosters and Panthers). Can't wait for him to never commentate again.

The other two have just gone with Gould's rant.
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Gould have a rant about Nate Myles attacking players with his head a few years back during origin when he had a run of head clashes that f**ked players up.. or was that just the News limited shit stains

Lambretta

First Grade
The big question is, if he goes to the bin because it’s a reportable offence, does every player on report now go to the bin?

If so we’ll see it regularly now, surely. If not they have created an extra level of punishment of foul play above on report that has not previously existed. Either way, it sets a precedent.

It doesn't set a precent. In the NRL we get different outcomes for the same thing on a regular basis

johnny plath

Juniors
Was he binned for the tackle or for carrying on like a bellend when the ref put him on report? The tackle was reckless, clearly lead with the head (whether it was intentional or not I don't know), and had a sickening result. If he was binned for dissent I don't have a problem with it, but if it was for foul play I wish we could get some consistency with the use of the bin.
I thought at the time he swore at the ref and that was the sin bin, but it was never confirmed during the commentary... too much outrage to focus on the actual issue at the time.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You're not allowed to hit someone in the head be it with your head, arm, gluteus maximus, foot or schlong.

It doesn't matter if you're a good bloke or 'that's the way you play'.

You're also not allowed to engage in reckless play.

Napa ticks both boxes, therefore, while I don't agree with the decision, a sin bin is not an unreasonable decision here.

cooko

Juniors
What I find hard to nderstand is that the bunker ruled that Napa deliberately led with his head, which is the “intent” ruling.

How can a video determine a players intent?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
What I find hard to nderstand is that the bunker ruled that Napa deliberately led with his head, which is the “intent” ruling.

How can a video determine a players intent?
It can't.

Neither can a referee unless it is blatantly obvious.

If he looked at all like he was trying to make a proper tackle, then I can understand people saying it was just a head clash. But the guy sprinted out of the line with his arms not even in front of his body. If he had intent to make a proper tackle, his arms wouldn't have been like that at the point of contact. It was absolutely reckless contact with the head at worst and deserved to be sent off.