What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

1qaz

Juniors
Why does he get a free ride?
The Knights attack looked better under Stone.
Defense is just as bad under Brown.

Alex28

Coach
How does Gagai get a free ride from you in missing 10% of our total missed tackles tonight?

perverse

Referee
He doesn't have any cattle to work with. Having said that, as I said in another thread... I'd love to actually know what he's asking them to do out there, because I can't figure it out anymore. It's certainly not run hard, tackle hard and kick to the corners.

PhilGould

Bench
Because he was the best coach available for the job at hand. He's inherited an awful squad and with our lack of cap space and lack of TPA's it was always going to be a multi-year process. Needs to be given two years minimum before we start calling for his head.

Misanthrope

Staff member
He doesn't have any cattle to work with. Having said that, as I said in another thread... I'd love to actually know what he's asking them to do out there, because I can't figure it out anymore. It's certainly not run hard, tackle hard and kick to the corners.

He definitely doesn't get a free pass in my books. There are things being done out on that football field that your average Group 19 team wouldn't be doing.

Jono078

Referee
He's got a shit team. We knew this before the season.

We were expected to win the spoon - we're on track.

He doesn't have a free pass, but let him build something resembling a squad that he wants and then judge him.

It'd be insanely silly to get rid of him this season unless you were convinced you were signing one of the best coaches available.

TooheysNew

Coach
Except it is.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Except it is.

I can't say I've seen much of any of the above being done remotely efficiently. Brittle defence, offence that couldn't puncture wet paper, and arguably the worst kicking game I've seen from any team in a long time.

Do we wait until the end of this year or next to make some tough calls?
We have players on contract but I can see us willingly letting some go early.
We'll need to sacrifice some of the young guys we've been grooming as well as getting rid of the dead weight.
I rekon we need to set a standard by making some calls now. Even if it just means telling some they have no future with us and dropping them.

perverse

Referee
Do we wait until the end of this year or next to make some tough calls?
We have players on contract but I can see us willingly letting some go early.
We'll need to sacrifice some of the young guys we've been grooming as well as getting rid of the dead weight.
I rekon we need to set a standard by making some calls now. Even if it just means telling some they have no future with us and dropping them.

Not upgrading Tariqs contract would be a good start. Let's see if we can manage that basic one first.

macavity

Referee
Who do you drop and who do you replace them with? Our reserves are already playing firsts, do we just run out our 20s? And when they get smacked do we run out our SG Ball side?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Who do you drop and who do you replace them with? Our reserves are already playing firsts, do we just run out our 20s? And when they get smacked do we run out our SG Ball side?

Is anybody even suggesting that we drop guys and bring guys up? Our squad is either guys who shouldn't be playing first grade or guys who shouldn't be playing first grade yet.

macavity

Referee
If that's the case then we're in even worse shape than I thought. They're making even the most basic tasks look horribly complicated.

The errors compound. Good teams recover from a dropped ball. We don't. Then we run out of puff from all the defence, get sloppy and the score blows out. Rinse and repeat.

1qaz

Juniors
He definitely doesn't get a free pass in my books. There are things being done out on that football field that your average Group 19 team wouldn't be doing.

Ding ding.
I would like to know what Brown coaches at training.
Can't even get the team do the basics right.
On top of that 5 hitups in the opposition 20 aint going to score you points.
Playing conservatively not looking to offload ain't going to score you points.
Persall coming on as an utility aint going to score you points.
In what world did Brown as a former hooker himself think Persall was going to be any good at hooker?
The team is better off getting thrashed by actually playing some football instead of getting thrashed by playing Nathan Brown's negative style of football.

I'd be looking to bring someone in who can show some leadership and has experience.
The guys we have been relying on like Hodko, Tariq and Gagai aren't doing it. Jez is literally on his last legs.
I can't see us being able to do it yet but reckon we at least put on notice that is our intent.
Make it clear what we expect from our first tier players.

Misanthrope

Staff member
We really need a few workmanlike forwards who can do the basics right. Aside from Smith, I'd argue we don't have a forward that fits into that roll-up-the-sleeves and get work done mould.

Scott was good for that, but at the moment it's firebrands and young guns when Smith isn't on deck.

Latest posts