What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cayless

Toneee

Juniors
Caylo has been here for a long time, Fui has barely had 2 years of 1st grade. Its all about staying fit and being versatile.

The Colonel

Immortal
Moimoi is a much more effective prop from the bench. Against tired opposition he is considerably more effective to the team's progress. He has done a great job as a starter but his effectiveness in later stints is not as good as when he comes from the bench.

Cayless, while he may start a year slowly, is our captain. While that may not seem like such a big deal, take for instance the two seasons he spent the majority of on the sideline in 2003 and 2004. Compare that with a reversal of fortunes in 2005 and a common denominator is Cayless. He wasn't the only reason but he played a big part in it.

They are two different players, both as important as the other.....

thatsold

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Cayless, while he may start a year slowly, is our captain. While that may not seem like such a big deal, take for instance the two seasons he spent the majority of on the sideline in 2003 and 2004. Compare that with a reversal of fortunes in 2005 and a common denominator is Cayless. He wasn't the only reason but he played a big part in it.

That reversal of fortunes was because the eels signed a whole bunch of great players.
They didn't go from shameful to minor premiers/best team for most of the season because of Cayless playing more.
Obviously he played an important role in the team, but he wasn't "a big part in" their turnaround. Maybe a small part.

The Colonel

Immortal
thatsold said:
That reversal of fortunes was because the eels signed a whole bunch of great players.
They didn't go from shameful to minor premiers/best team for most of the season because of Cayless playing more.
Obviously he played an important role in the team, but he wasn't "a big part in" their turnaround. Maybe a small part.

As I said it wasn't the only reason but he played a big part - hence the reason he along with Tahu were joint winners of the Thornett Medal, voted on by the players themselves..... you don't have to agree but I'm sure if you asked the players you would get a better respobnse than small.

Perry Haddock

Juniors
In my book they are both unfit, Moi Moi being the worse in this respect, Cayless is lazy in his old age, but still a reasonable first grade front rower.

Moi Moi is like Maggi Noodles (2 minutes and he's done)

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Moimoi is a much more effective prop from the bench. Against tired opposition he is considerably more effective to the team's progress. He has done a great job as a starter but his effectiveness in later stints is not as good as when he comes from the bench.

They are two different players, both as important as the other.....

Totally agree. One is our skipper, and the other is our enforcer.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Perry Haddock said:
In my book they are both unfit, Moi Moi being the worse in this respect, Cayless is lazy in his old age, but still a reasonable first grade front rower.

Where do you people pull this notion that Moimoi can't play 5 minutes without being tired from?

He consistanntly played 20 minute stints this year and, with a good off-season, should be able to bump that up even further.

thatsold

Juniors
Perry Haddock said:

You must have missed the last 2 seasons.

Neither of them are unfit.
Cayless gets through a lot of work over long periods of the game.
Moimoi goes all out and tears the opposition apart over short periods of the game.

I think Moimoi is better than cayless. Everyones been saying Cayless would do better amongst better forwards, well Moimoi is on the same team and he doesnt seem to need any help.

Is Moimoi better than the Kiwi(actually trying) Cayless though? Thats a different question, and im not sure of the answer.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I sometimes wonder whether the burden of captaincy at club level could be hindering Nathan's performances...

Also, because he's a player with a mindset of "quality AND quantity", as opposed to Moimoi's "quality", it means that they perform differently. Cayless may make 30 tackles and 10 hit-ups in a match, whereas Moimoi may make 15 tackles and 15 hit-ups - but they'll all be damaging.

MrT

Juniors
Perry Haddock said:

You have no idea Perry. Your about as outdated as your name suggests. Fui has increased his playing time. He plays 40-50mins

Perry Haddock

Juniors
MrT said:
You have no idea Perry. Your about as outdated as your name suggests. Fui has increased his playing time. He plays 40-50mins

I have lots of ideas, many of them related to Rugby League,

The point is that both spend too much time on the bench, with Fui being the main offender, he runs out of steam too quickly and this is on top of the fact that his loose tackling technique makes him a liability as was shown towards the end of the year.

I do agree with your point about my name though, it is very outdated, maybe 20 years or so:D

strider

Post Whore
Perry Haddock said:
I have lots of ideas, many of them related to Rugby League,

The point is that both spend too much time on the bench, with Fui being the main offender, he runs out of steam too quickly and this is on top of the fact that his loose tackling technique makes him a liability as was shown towards the end of the year.

I do agree with your point about my name though, it is very outdated, maybe 20 years or so:D

wow - I could have sworn Fui didn't play "towards the end of the year" - the whole suspension thing and all.

Bigfella

Coach
I don't know how you would check the stats but I would have thought that Fui would have the highest percentage of games played for wins for Parra over the last two seasons.

ie games where he played, we won.

I get the feeling he is the most valuable player we have; in the sense that when he plays, we are more likely to win.

All of our winning periods over last two years he has been instrumental in.

Yes he misses a lot of games - but who else can or will provide his contribution if he doesn't pay; or when he is off the bench? I think that is the biggest challenge facing our team and coach.

caylo

Bench
what do u mean, out winning streak started with fui playing... but he was there when we where lossing to, and we kept winning after we lost him. we didnt start lossing until we lost cayless, and then when he came back we almost beat the minor premiers. Fui is great, i will no argue... he is a great player, great go forward... i love fui. cayless on the other hand is inspirational, he is like hindy, always there to take a hit-up. he constantly makes over 100meters, and makes 30 tackles. i think cayless is just as important as hindy to our team. not down playing fui contrabution, we loss alot when he isnt there, but cayless showed when we had so many props out why he is such a great player, he and hindy basicly carried the team, and the go forward, without him there i dont think we would have made the 8

Perry Haddock

Juniors
strider said:
wow - I could have sworn Fui didn't play "towards the end of the year" - the whole suspension thing and all.

Yeah wise arse, you know what I mean:) , just cause you turned back the clock and burnt some unsuspecting victims in touch footy doesn't mean you can take the piss:D

thatsold

Juniors
caylo said:
what do u mean, out winning streak started with fui playing... but he was there when we where lossing to, and we kept winning after we lost him. we didnt start lossing until we lost cayless, and then when he came back we almost beat the minor premiers. Fui is great, i will no argue... he is a great player, great go forward... i love fui. cayless on the other hand is inspirational, he is like hindy, always there to take a hit-up. he constantly makes over 100meters, and makes 30 tackles. i think cayless is just as important as hindy to our team. not down playing fui contrabution, we loss alot when he isnt there, but cayless showed when we had so many props out why he is such a great player, he and hindy basicly carried the team, and the go forward, without him there i dont think we would have made the 8

I will no argue with you there, without Cayless' contrabution to the team we'd basicly be lossing all the time!

True EEL

Bench
Ron usually agree with some of your stuff....but Cayless not a top 15 prop in the NRL.....Jesus H Christ!!!!?????

i'm sorry but i have said to all my mates for some years if i was asked to pick two props in some kind of all selection fantasy team i would choose:

Webcke and Cayless......period.