What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Marky Mark

Juniors
I mean the exposure to different training conditions for Nathan is only for the best of Panthers in the long term.
Wish I was paid a million a year to go on a camp & be paid an extra 30k a pop to learn.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid but someone should have pulled the hand brake on the ridiculous contract & the Daddy/ coach situation which seems to be stifling his development.

Flashstep

Juniors
I think there's a rose coloured glasses effect going on about his first season or so. Yes his running game was good, but he's never been creative. I think his early stuff stands out because he was so young.

Hooker would actually suit his running game.

He’s never been a X-Factor half like Johnson or Walker but that doesn’t necessarily mean he has no creativity. I remember when he first came into first grade he had very good decision making when it came to running the ball or using either his 5/8 or fullback, now it just seems like he just constantly passes the ball to a forward instead of using them as decoys and getting good ball to the outside backs.

I think his best position is possibly 5/8, let Maloney run the team and do most of the kicking and let Cleary pop up and get involved whenever he wants, I think there’s to much pressure on him right now to lead the team around, he needs to develop his game a lot more first.

The Realist

Juniors
Those inside balls from Cleary are remarkably similar to what Gower was doing 05-07 in attack. Its real rubbish stuff and frustrating to watch from the pisshead South hill I must say.

Gower is another player who spent far too much time as a Number 7 as compared to his true natural position.

franklin2323

Immortal
And for his price tag. Its a massive issue for our cap.

Nathan Cleary does not deserve any special treatment. It finally looks as though most fans are ready to treat him as an NRL halfback now.

By the time you get his stage then I see age as being irrelevant

Andy_P

Juniors
How similar to the Pearce situation. Having the father's that they do meant they were/are going to get extra scrutiny. Pearce just couldn't quite do what was required at an Origin level even though you could never fault his effort. Only now has Pearce put it all together.

Was a bit surprised when Pearce didn't want to stay and learn off Cronk but his attitude was obviously 'I'm my own man and want to run the team' - that is he reached a certain level of confidence

I feel Nathan, while he knows he is expected to run the team - just not sure whether he feels absolutely confident and comfortable with it yet.

Can't help but think Nathan's situation will be similar to Pearce's. Still young, needs more maturity and confidence.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
How similar to the Pearce situation. Having the father's that they do meant they were/are going to get extra scrutiny. Pearce just couldn't quite do what was required at an Origin level even though you could never fault his effort. Only now has Pearce put it all together.

Was a bit surprised when Pearce didn't want to stay and learn off Cronk but his attitude was obviously 'I'm my own man and want to run the team' - that is he reached a certain level of confidence

I feel Nathan, while he knows he is expected to run the team - just not sure whether he feels absolutely confident and comfortable with it yet.

Can't help but think Nathan's situation will be similar to Pearce's. Still young, needs more maturity and confidence.

Very similar. Lets hope we get as a club what Roosters got from him. I am not saying we can't but concerning for me is he has gone backwards from this time last season and still with 4 years left

Andy_P

Juniors
Wish I was paid a million a year to go on a camp & be paid an extra 30k a pop to learn.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid but someone should have pulled the hand brake on the ridiculous contract & the Daddy/ coach situation which seems to be stifling his development.
I think to be fair, younger players who have shown the potential but are not the consistent match winners yet will have the inflated salary because the club is scared of losing them. So in the first, second, maybe even third year or the contract they are not necessarily going to play like they are worth a million dollars. In the same way that apparently Ponga is on $600,000 but he is playing like he is worth more (and it's in the news that apparently his manager wants an upgrade or he'll walk) - no one is expecting him to just play at the level of a $600,000 player. How they play is how they develop - and the club is largely responsible for. We all know Cleary does a lot more off the field than others so you can't fault his attitude. So it's also partly about what players might demand in the market - but in our case also about fear of losing someone. Of course what a player is paid directly affects their overall recruitment and so has a direct affect on how the team might perform.

The point is he might be on a million dollar contract but he is going to develop at the pace that he does - ideally the faster the better but maybe slower than expected - whether we like it or not. As far as getting dad on board, Dave's the one that needs to assure everyone that this is all in the best long term interest of the club.

Last edited:

Andy_P

Juniors
Very similar. Lets hope we get as a club what Roosters got from him. I am not saying we can't but concerning for me is he has gone backwards from this time last season and still with 4 years left
I keep coming back to the coaching. Most commentators and fans viewed this and previous seasons as our premiership window but we just couldn't help but under-achieve. And Bennett would have been the one to take us to the next level. (*Apologies for bringing up Bennett. So close yet so far).

OldPanther

Coach
Couldn’t have said that better myself

Jog on then. That thread is about Ivan for a start and everything I've said is factual.

I keep coming back to the coaching. Most commentators and fans viewed this and previous seasons as our premiership window but we just couldn't help but under-achieve. And Bennett would have been the one to take us to the next level. (*Apologies for bringing up Bennett. So close yet so far).

Bennett would've been so much better for Nathan. Getting Ivan was a mistake for his personal development in my opinion.

betcats

Referee
Jog on then. That thread is about Ivan for a start and everything I've said is factual.

The thread is just poorly timed imo, it was a good game by Cleary backing up after origin, certainly not a game worthy a an entire thread to bag him IMO. All Cleary did wrong in that game was one or two poor finishes to attacking sets. Everything else was good, he was running well and starting to poke through the line again. He looked more decisive with the ball, there was no faltered runs and dumped off passes. He combined well with our outside men and got us around the field and most importantly he combined with Jimmy in attackjng sets and he played direct. On top of all that he cane up with some defensive plays that were huge. Any other panther makes those plays and everyone is raving about it. Matchwinning plays.

People bagging him for the inside balls now. We scored our first try off an inside ball, Jimmy is running towards the sideline when he gives that pass to kikau. Last week Luai was running towards the sideline when he turns a pass inside to Martin who busts up field and puts Edwards over.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
The thread is just poorly timed imo, it was a good game by Cleary backing up after origin, certainly not a game worthy a an entire thread to bag him IMO. All Cleary did wrong in that game was one or two poor finishes to attacking sets. Everything else was good, he was running well and starting to poke through the line again. He looked more decisive with the ball, there was no faltered runs and dumped off passes. He combined well with our outside men and got us around the field and most importantly he combined with Jimmy in attackjng sets and he played direct. On top of all that he cane up with some defensive plays that were huge. Any other panther makes those plays and everyone is raving about it. Matchwinning plays.

People bagging him for the inside balls now. We scored our first try off an inside ball, Jimmy is running towards the sideline when he gives that pass to kikau. Last week Luai was running towards the sideline when he turns a pass inside to Martin who busts up field and puts Edwards over.

It can be used for positives as much as negatives. I just mentioned things that I have been defending that seem to be wrong especially that I noticed in yesterday's game while it was fresh in my mind. I left out the things I like about his game in the original comment. I have also since been positive in this thread about him. I agree with everything you said.

betcats

Referee
It can be used for positives as much as negatives. I just mentioned things that I have been defending that seem to be wrong especially that I noticed in yesterday's game while it was fresh in my mind. I left out the things I like about his game in the original comment. I have also since been positive in this thread about him. I agree with everything you said.

His vision is not great and he has been playing far to structured which has made him easy to read, you are not wrong about that. But this season he’s been playing in woeful attacking side, the hookers and fullbacks have not been doing anything, Jimmy’s form hasn’t been great until the last two weeks. last night the attack flowed as well as it has all year, we moved the ball across the field attacking both sides and looking dangerous without playing sideways and we got over the line a few times, Nathan played direct at the line for the most part and he combined with Jimmy often. He didn’t get lost with the ball like he has st times season.

He desperately needs to fix up his fith tackle options close to the line, but as the team finds form and confidence we will see a lot better from him.

OldPanther

Coach
His vision is not great and he has been playing far to structured which has made him easy to read, you are not wrong about that. But this season he’s been playing in woeful attacking side, the hookers and fullbacks have not been doing anything, Jimmy’s form hasn’t been great until the last two weeks. last night the attack flowed as well as it has all year, we moved the ball across the field attacking both sides and looking dangerous without playing sideways and we got over the line a few times, Nathan played direct at the line for the most part and he combined with Jimmy often. He didn’t get lost with the ball like he has st times season.

He desperately needs to fix up his fith tackle options close to the line, but as the team finds form and confidence we will see a lot better from him.

Yeah I wonder what having Katoa back in reserves will do for his game. He seems to respond to Egan/Kenny.

OldPanther

Coach
Jerome wasn't needed. Roosters comeback never happened. They spent the last 10 defending their own line. Nathan didn't seem to tire.

Another bit of info for the list. Everyone bats off to how JT would always compete on everything until the 80th minute well Nathan sure does that. Multiple try saving tackles at club and state level. Particularly two this week after backing up from origin.

Bob

Juniors
Bennett would've been so much better for Nathan. Getting Ivan was a mistake for his personal development in my opinion.
Factual in your opinion not mine, what gets lost by his critics is his age, he debuted at 18, compared to Maloney who debuted at 23, he has played origin, junior kangaroos, and led his team to 3 finals appearances and he’s only 21, he is not now or ever will be a Greg Alexander type half back, he is very much a Craig Gower type halfback