What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Didn't he have an agreement with Gus he'd pick and stick though.

It wasn’t an agreement, it was just some advice.
Gus said not to pick Nathan, he didn’t think he was ready, but, if you do pick him, you need to recognise he’s only 20 so he has 3 or 4 more year until he matures as a half back.

So if your going to pick him, accept that his form will fluctuate over the few years while he finds his feet and matures as a play maker, and stick with him.

Something a few people on this site should realise.

soc123_au

Staff member
Very true about Ivan. Not disputing that at all. I just honestly believe 6.Luai 7. Maloney 9. Cleary is potentially our most dangerous combo.

It gives Maloney full control of organisation and managing the game plan. There is no confusion as to whose role that is.

It gives Luai the freedom to think run first and relieve any organisational pressure of him.

Cleary can focus on defending and support through the middle. His support play is actually quite brilliant. He has the fitness and commitment to keep pushing up in support all game.

If NSW lose the next game with him at halfback he may never play for NSW again anyway. Playing 9 at club level also opens up being the 14 at Origin level.
I'm with you on all of that, including the bench spot for Origin and possibly Australia.

I just dont see Ivan going for it. Not for a few years anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gus said not to pick Nathan, he didn’t think he was ready, but, if you do pick him, you need to recognise he’s only 20 so he has 3 or 4 more year until he matures as a half back.

So if your going to pick him, accept that his form will fluctuate over the few years while he finds his feet and matures as a play maker, and stick with him.

So how many games does he need 150? 200? We are talking 70 games not some rookie

Panther_Daz

Staff member
So how many games does he need 150? 200? We are talking 70 games not some rookie

Players like Cust and Flanagan are younger and less experienced but both seem to be more comfortable in creating tries than Cleary already.

Both have come into spines with injuries too. Cust hasn't had DCE and Turbo. Flanagan hasn't had Johnson and Moylan for a lot of games.

franklin2323

Immortal
Players like Cust and Flanagan are younger and less experienced but both seem to be more comfortable in creating tries than Cleary already.

Both have come into spines with injuries too. Cust hasn't had DCE and Turbo. Flanagan hasn't had Johnson and Moylan for a lot of games.

He has gone backwards if anything. Even Luai in only 2 starting games is averaging as many try assists per game as Cleary

OldPanther

Coach

Sound advice. How long until we start asking the questions of his game? Is it 100 games+?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Sound advice. How long until we start asking the questions of his game? Is it 100 games+?

It's the lack of improvement. If his attacking game was gradually improving there wouldn't be this much concern. However it is actually going backwards.

When he first came into the NRL not many coaches would've known what he does as his rise through the grades was very fast.

Now they know exactly what he is doing.

In fact I spoke to a player at another NRL club about what Cleary does on the field. The coach of his team then highlighted the exact same things in the video session the next day. It is so obvious.

TheFrog

Coach
Yeah 9 seems his position
They would not have given a top 30 position to Kenny if that was even being considered. Kenny has done well.Our attack looks better with him at dummy half. It would have been the perfect time to try it with Luai available but that horse has now bolted.

franklin2323

Immortal
They would not have given a top 30 position to Kenny if that was even being considered. Kenny has done well.Our attack looks better with him at dummy half. It would have been the perfect time to try it with Luai available but that horse has now bolted.

Kenny can play backrow too. Seems going for versatile players moving forward

OldPanther

Coach
It's the lack of improvement. If his attacking game was gradually improving there wouldn't be this much concern. However it is actually going backwards.

When he first came into the NRL not many coaches would've known what he does as his rise through the grades was very fast.

In fact I spoke to a player at another NRL club about what Cleary does on the field. The coach of his team then highlighted the exact same things in the video session the next day. It is so obvious.

Wow sounds like a problem if he's read countered that easily. Would've liked to have been on that session.

franklin2323

Immortal

We'd be so easy to defend against. Teams know exactly what is coming Maloney atleast spread it early and that yesterday

10Grand

Juniors

To succeed at no 7 Nathan has to believe its his team and his the boss.He should be telling players where he wants them to be,now I feel his personality might be stopping him from taking charge.Ivan should put him at 5/8 to develop his running game and organizing outside backs withiout having to worry about 5th tackle kicks leaving that to Maloney.If that fails Hooker is his only option where I do feel he will excel.In Nathan we have a good kid who hopefully develops into our leader.My nine year old loves him and I value his judgement because his favourite actor is Robert De Nero so he knows his stuff.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Cleary to Hooker is silly.

He’s going to be a gun Half Back.

Do you honestly think Andrew Johns just hit the ground playing like an immortal??

He’s 21 years old, he’s playing with the weight of his club and his state on his shoulders.

Give him a bloody chance, the shit you lot are banging on about will come.

If you watch him play, live, he does so much talking on the field, he directs players where to go, it’s great to watch.

He’s not perfect, but he is working towards it.

OldPanther

Coach

Do you honestly think Andrew Johns just hit the ground playing like an immortal??

He’s 21 years old, he’s playing with the weight of his club and his state on his shoulders.

If you watch him play, live, he does so much talking on the field, he directs players where to go, it’s great to watch.

It's at least worth a conversation. If nothing else the thread will be a good catalogue of his progress in the next 12 - 24 months.

Panther_Daz

Staff member

A few of us our concerned about his lack of development at 7. We have offered measured reasons. We aren't just "banging on".

Luke Bowden

First Grade
A few of us our concerned about his lack of development at 7. We have offered measured reasons. We aren't just "banging on".

Daz, for you or two others, this is true, I disagree with you, but you have offered measured reasons.

Lack of development?

He’s 21 years old, he’s already played 4 state of origins at half back. Better judges than any one on this site, aren’t concerned.

I don’t see why we should be.

Or do we know better than the NSW selectors?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Daz, for you or two others, this is true, I disagree with you, but you have offered measured reasons.

Lack of development?

He’s 21 years old, he’s already played 4 state of origins at half back. Better judges than any one on this site, aren’t concerned.

I don’t see why we should be.

Or do we know better than the NSW selectors?

He has been picked in Origin for his defence. It is quite clear.

I am concerned that our halfback that who we have invested a million a year for 5 years in hasn't set up a try in almost 2 months. I have every right to be concerned as a member of the club.