What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Fien joins Dragons mid-season

watatank

Coach
I think a lot of people are getting carried away over his ability. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, is a better option than Head or Priddis and has a lot to offer but you'd think he was the second coming or something (or third after Bennett)...

Another point worth noting is that Fien started the RLWC for NZ playing hooker...he ended up at halfback.

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep, exactly watatank. I understand we have lacked a genuine quality attacking threat at dummy half for some time, but hanging our hopes on Fien seems a tenuous hook. Has always struggled defensively and has never really set the world on fire as a starting hooker. He's absolutely a superior bench option to Priddis and possibly Head, but you don't need to be a world beater to earn that distinction. He'll be a useful bench hooker for us until Cameron King is ready for first grade

Bring back choc

Juniors
Thank God. This is great news. He should start at hooker IMO. Young back to the back row. This makes our bench far more formidable. There's going to be some very hard decisions to make re: team selections.

kiwidragon

Juniors
Cofirmed on NRL Website too, but will join us next monday

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...3/fien-to-join-dragons-next-week/default.aspx
St George Illawarra have added an intriguing piece to what they hope will be a premiership-winning puzzle after the Warriors granted their request for an early release of Kiwi international Nathan Fien.
Fien, who had already agreed to a three-year deal in May to join the Dragons from 2010, was given an immediate release by the Warriors from the remainder of his 2009 contract.
With June 30 the last day an NRL club can register a player for this year, the Dragons moved swiftly to snare the utility.
"The circumstance arose for Nathan to join our club early, following an amicable discussion with the Warriors and his experience will add depth to our squad for the remainder of this year," Dragons coach Wayne Bennett said.
"Nathan is a versatile player and I am sure he will fit in well with our club, players and the style of football we like to play."
Fien, adept at either halfback or hooker, has been with the Warriors since leaving North Queensland in 2004, but hasn't played for the Auckland-based club since round 10 this year.
He will begin training with the Dragons next Monday and is expected to battle with Mathew Head for the role of bench utility in the club's run-in to the finals.
Head has struggled to make the spot his own as he continues his return from a debilitating knee injury, with Fien's early arrival only adding to the uncertainty surrounding Head's future at the club.
Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club saw no reason to keep Fien at the club against his wishes.
"We were committed to Nathan staying at the club for the rest of the season," Scurrah said.
"But given that he asked for a release and that he hasn't been playing for the Warriors in recent weeks, it was only reasonable to allow him to take up this offer."
Fien said he was surprised at how fast the transaction occurred given he hadn't given much thought to joining the joint-venture club until next season.
"But with the offer coming from St George Illawarra, I had to make a decision by the deadline about my plans," Fien said.
"While I'm excited about the challenge ahead, it's sad to leave this club. I've had a great time with the Warriors, playing with the boys here."

f**king muz deadset nearly gave me a heart attack mate lol,
good news, finally dean young to the back row, we needed this especially seeing as weyman is out for a few weeks.
we have had a merkin of an injury run the past 2 months or so.
fingers crossed the boys are back come semis time.

Slackboy72

Coach
This just makes our forward pack come September ... unstoppable. I really can't think of a better adjective than that. We will be rolling up the field like nothing else. I reckon it will add an extra 5-10 yards to our average metres per set. Prepare for world domination peoples.

big pat

Coach
I think a lot of people are getting carried away over his ability. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, is a better option than Head or Priddis and has a lot to offer but you'd think he was the second coming or something (or third after Bennett)...

Another point worth noting is that Fien started the RLWC for NZ playing hooker...he ended up at halfback.

you forget bennett is a master coach, compared to that knobhead cleary,trust in wayne he knows what he is doing.

Latest posts