What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Friend

devoid

Juniors
I reckon Berrigan will be here next season too--though i heard on radio sport this morning that his contract stipulates he has to play 20 games first-grade this season for his option to kick in.

That's interesting; hadn't heard of any details in a contract like that before.

RHCP

Bench
That's interesting; hadn't heard of any details in a contract like that before.
There was a player down here in Newcastle a few years ago during the infamous cleanout of Brian Smith who had a similar stipulation if I recall correctly. Needed one more first grade game to activate his contract for next season but Smithy didn't play him. Lots of tears on the news. Kirk Reynoldson maybe? Or maybe I imagined it.

Regardless, Nathan Friend is a great signing for the Warriors. New Zealand Rugby League at both club and test level is certainly on the rise.

devoid

Juniors
There was a player down here in Newcastle a few years ago during the infamous cleanout of Brian Smith who had a similar stipulation if I recall correctly. Needed one more first grade game to activate his contract for next season but Smithy didn't play him. Lots of tears on the news. Kirk Reynoldson maybe? Or maybe I imagined it.

Regardless, Nathan Friend is a great signing for the Warriors. New Zealand Rugby League at both club and test level is certainly on the rise.

Ha! Pretty dramatic nonetheless. Anyway - this is still just speculation right? I'm hopeful, but until it's confirmed...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Yeah it was the bearded one Reynoldson who got screwed over. Wasn't able to activate his contract extension, and I think it may have also meant he hadn't played enough games to qualify for the ESL either. Rough situation.

Very happy about Friend signing. Finally a genuine hooker instead of all these makeshift ones.

Lossy

Juniors
True, true.

Regardless, i reckon most of the those i mentioned, bar Maloney (and possibly John), will be gorneskies come end of season. Locke's contract is until the end of 2011, iirc. If Lillyman has a barnstormer he might get an extension; he seems to like it here, at any rate. I reckon Berrigan will be here next season too--though i heard on radio sport this morning that his contract stipulates he has to play 20 games first-grade this season for his option to kick in.

Yep. That's what Berrigan said.

I believe Locke's contract is similar to Berrigan's. 2011 with an option for 2012 triggered if x number of games are played. Unfortunately, I don't know what x is.

My guess is that he's either on the bench so they can trigger it and retain a bargain player with potential, or to assess his use elsewhere now Fish has put his hand up.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
He's 30

Heremaia, Marra, Hohaia, Berrigan, Vulcan' Kingi all handy hookers.

The only logic to why they would sign him is they'll be let Luck got. Friend is a tackling machine.

devoid

Juniors
He's 30

The only logic to why they would sign him is they'll be let Luck got. Friend is a tackling machine.

He's also pretty handy around the ruck - generally regarded by a lot as one of the best, and better than all you have named. I think that has more to do with it than any letting go of Mr. Luck.

devoid

Juniors
Yep. That's what Berrigan said.

I believe Locke's contract is similar to Berrigan's. 2011 with an option for 2012 triggered if x number of games are played. Unfortunately, I don't know what x is.

My guess is that he's either on the bench so they can trigger it and retain a bargain player with potential, or to assess his use elsewhere now Fish has put his hand up.

Okay - this makes even more sense of his bench selection to me. Appreciate the insights.

hitman82

Bench
What did that link say dude? Was blank when I followed it.

Nathan Friend is more than just a tackle bot. He's a very dominant play-making hooker, which is exactly what we need.

We don't have a superstar half, so we need to offset that with a couple of strong attacking players in other key positions; ie second row, fullback, hooker.

jaseg

Juniors
Meh.... Not keen.

Don't get me wrong, Nathan Friend is a very, very good player (and with him playing dummy half in attack and tackle machine in defense, surely Luck would be out the door). But we don't need him.

I'd take a top class centre for sure - what about Martin Gleeson? Just released from Wigan, he's one of if not the top English centre and could cut it as a top NRL player imo.

While we're at it, how about a dominating prop? James Graham anyone? He's off to the NRL in 2012, and I'd love for him to be making his way to the Warriors. He's the closest thing to Steve Price I've ever seen, regularly plays a TON of minutes for a prop, makes heaps of tackles, hits the line hard and has a good (plus fairly safe and responsible, unlike say Mateo) offload. Packer, Rapira, Lillyman and Matulino are good, but I can't help but feel that Lillyman should be sacrificed for Graham and Matulino perhaps given more time out wider to run at small fellas.

devoid

Juniors
Seeing as Shaun Johnson is likely to be the future #7 for the Warriors, I think giving him the best possible service is a must - Nathan Friend is nearly the perfect answer to this.

To jaseg - I think everyone would be thrilled with James Graham. Looking at the amount of guys off contract, I think we can expect more signings in the coming months. Traditionally we move early as the past week suggests.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He's 30

Handy, but not all that flash. The first one has been in terrible form, the second is still very young, third is a makeshift who will be gone in 2012 me thinks, Berrigan maybe the same (?) and Kingi I don't know a lot about but I'm picking he's a fair way away.

Still like this signing. Calling him a tackling machine would take away from the energy he brings on attack and also direction. May find playing with someone of less ilk than Scott Prince a new challenge though

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Bring in Friend

See ya later Heremaia, Seymour and Locke

I'd keep Berrigan and Mara though.

Hohaia im not sure on. I think its way too early to be writing him off.

One Warrior

Bench
Bring in Friend

See ya later Heremaia, Seymour and Locke

I'd keep Berrigan and Mara though.

Hohaia im not sure on. I think its way too early to be writing him off.

Agreed on above, I think Hohaia will bounce back, too good a player not to and so would keep him, would also keep Locke.