What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Friend

devoid

Juniors
It's an impressive list of centers off contract - but I still like the idea of us signing proven quality in a key pivot role. I might speculate further and question whether Buster will be retained beyond this year...

Izz

Bench
It's an impressive list of centers off contract - but I still like the idea of us signing proven quality in a key pivot role. I might speculate further and question whether Buster will be retained beyond this year...
Doubt it very much.

I reckon the plan is for Johnson to be our number 7 by next season, possibly with Maloney at 6. That means someone at hooker with proven experience directing a team around the park would be a good buy, and Friend definitely fits the bill.

devoid

Juniors
Doubt it very much.

I reckon the plan is for Johnson to be our number 7 by next season, possibly with Maloney at 6. That means someone at hooker with proven experience directing a team around the park would be a good buy, and Friend definitely fits the bill.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Junior Sau
Kyle Stanley
Tony Williams
Peni Tagive

just to name a few.

Okay I am more than aware on who's off contract, the issue is convincing these type of players to come across the ditch

Stanley will get resigned and so will Junior sau (now that Tinkler is in the mix) Not too sure about Williams cant see Manly letting him go. Peni tagive i dont know well so cannot comment

Idris LOL bulldogs love him too much so yeah like the others they wont come over

I think realistically Metcalfe would be a better chance getting a centre spot despite his past, those other options seem to unrelistic at this stage

Micistm

Bench
A hooker?
Shouldn't we be looking for 1 or 2 top-class centres?

Na, wingers, hookers and hand me down journeyman forwards are what we go for.

I dunno, could be a good signing, but I am weary of older players signed on for a year, or two. I'd like our focus to be more on nurturing our young ones, keeping as many as we can-of course the cap means you can't keep them all- and building a good team of permanance to work towards being good consistantly. IMO I'm a little over older aussie stopgaps bought in and journeymen few other clubs are interested in. Nor do I want the cap thrown at any big name signing that'll come here for a year or two for a big payday.
Nothing against Friend though-but how long would he stay and how much would he cost to get here?:?

Skinner

Coach
Na, wingers, hookers and hand me down journeyman forwards are what we go for.

I dunno, could be a good signing, but I am weary of older players signed on for a year, or two. I'd like our focus to be more on nurturing our young ones, keeping as many as we can-of course the cap means you can't keep them all- and building a good team of permanance to work towards being good consistantly. IMO I'm a little over older aussie stopgaps bought in and journeymen few other clubs are interested in. Nor do I want the cap thrown at any big name signing that'll come here for a year or two for a big payday.
Nothing against Friend though-but how long would he stay and how much would he cost to get here?:?

This

I made a comment last year on Dean Bell's recruitment (or what I considered lack thereof).

I was shot down in flames with most saying he was doing a bloody good job.

Sorry but this kind of buy (unsubstantiated at this point) does nothing to change my mind. The Warriors will NEVER win a premiership while the recruitment of aging aussie journeymen continues.

We are the best Rugby League nursery in the world and the Warriors and their recruitment people are completely ignoring it.

Isn't it bloody ironic the the Warriors were born because NZ is the best Rugby League nursery in the world....

You wouldn't know it would you ?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
:lol::lol: classic. Friend is an old Aussie journeyman? Maybe you could have said he was a journeyman 2-3 years ago but has become pretty top class. I'm guessing if he is signed the Heramaia will go and it will be Friend and Mara. You seem to seem to whinge and complain about everything the Warriors do, stick to those Magpies then.

Talanexor

Juniors
I think Friend would be a massive signing for you guys.

Yes, he's 30 - but he's one of the fittest men in the game, and I get the impression he's one of those guys who can keep playing at the top level til he's 33-34. Hell, Steve Menzies is 39 and still going over in ESL!

His defensive workrate means the rest of your forward pack can focus on making metres and breaking the line.

More importantly, he'll be able to take a lot of pressure of young Shaun Johnson, which will be absolutely crucial to Johnson's development. Halfback is the hardest position to play and having a good hooker will help him adjust to first grade a lot faster.

I think Jordan Rapana is due back from his Mormon mission this year or next. Remember him? Very talented young Titans winger a few years ago. I'm not sure if he's still any good, or if he can play centre, but it's an option worth looking at.

ozbash

Referee
The Warriors will NEVER win a premiership while the recruitment of aging aussie journeymen continues.

yep, yep, yep.

and may I add that we will never ever win a f**king premiership while we continue to develope outstanding juniors (remember that hooker, Nafe ?) for australian clubs...

Iafeta

Referee
How about Vatuvei, Packer, Rapira, Mannering, Fisiiahi, Brown, Matulino... You know there's a lot of criticism on that front, but there's very little acknowledgement of the good job they do in helping bring through Kiwis into top grade. I think the balance on that argument is severly skewed negatively.

In reference to Friend, I'd back him well and truly over Heremaia. He's a very good player. Certainly not in the journeymen category. Journeymen to me are fringe first graders such as Kirk, Crockett, Myles, these types of players. Friend is a proven first grader and a pivotal part of the Titans set up.

Iafeta

Referee
The same reason as how we got Brent Tate, Steve Price, Ruben Wiki... money talks and the salary cap may be getting tighter for the Titans.

kos

Juniors
The Titans mucked him around with his last contract negoiations.
Friend is after increased money as this may be the last contract he signs.
Living on the Gold Coast the Titans are my 2nd team after the warriors and Friend is a very very good player.
But I cant help agreeing as to why we dont develop our own players as in hookers and take them into first grade. Mara and Kingi wouldnt be pleased to hear the Warriors are chasing Friend.
I thought Mara looked the goods when he played first grade last year and he appears to have the same low to the ground chunky body as Friend.
i woudl like to see more Kiwis in the Warriors. You cant tell me that we havent got guys running around as good as Luck and Berrigan!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I'd put my left nut on Buster going. To ESL.

If Friend comes, does he not effectively take Berrigan's spot - squeezing out Hohaia and Heremaia, with Mara as back up? Doesn't seem a bad shout to me.

Martli

Coach
f**k everyone else's opinion. Friend is THE MAN. Sign him now!

Such a nice guy too. Never met him in my life, but with a last name like that how could be NOT be a nice guy.

On Fox this morning they said the Warriors were favourties to sign him but a couple of other clubs are in the mix.. $1 mill for 3 seasons.

Good signing if true, him and Luck make a million tackles per game and we ALL have been critical or dummyhalf this year

Rich102

Staff member
The Titans mucked him around with his last contract negoiations.
Friend is after increased money as this may be the last contract he signs.
Living on the Gold Coast the Titans are my 2nd team after the warriors and Friend is a very very good player.
But I cant help agreeing as to why we dont develop our own players as in hookers and take them into first grade. Mara and Kingi wouldnt be pleased to hear the Warriors are chasing Friend.
I thought Mara looked the goods when he played first grade last year and he appears to have the same low to the ground chunky body as Friend.
i woudl like to see more Kiwis in the Warriors. You cant tell me that we havent got guys running around as good as Luck and Berrigan!

:clap: